Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

too many people Options
beakyfish
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:54:02 PM
Groups: Member

I know they need to make money but seriously too many people this year
Put the price up or get rid of the big names
Peter you will destroy a great festival if you keep over crowding. No big screens outside mojo diamond seating doesnt help
I will give it one more chance

tonyjoewhite
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 9:02:18 AM

I agree, there was far too many people this year and that turns people off from coming. Also, I heard camping was atrocious.

The Deep Dark Woods (Canada) for 2014 ~ The Place I Left Behind, All the Money's Gone, Sugar Mama, Two Time Loser, Never Prove False
Kowalksi
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 9:28:13 AM

I disagree. I thought the venue and diversity of acts, stages and food stalls allows for a lot of people. In the five days I was there I had no problem whatsoever with crowd size, with the one exception of the ATM queue on Monday night when all but one ATM had stopped working.
easyian666
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 2:55:22 PM

you should watch the woodstock video -even the california state freeway was closed man!!!!
great event awsome music awsome venueWELL DONE BF ADMIN.
chaleegirl
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 7:44:21 PM

easyian666 - You may have hit the nail on the head there! More tolerance and expected less back in Woodstock days! In life as well as at BF this is what we have become!
Granted it would be easier with 10-20k less people, but I cant say I'd like to miss out on a ticket due restricted entries!!
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 5:58:46 PM

I do not think there were too many people this year.
There were very few acts which were crowded...less than a handful.
I had no trouble finding personal space.
It was great to see some of the stallholders so busy.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
acb
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 7:01:09 PM

easyian666 wrote:
you should watch the woodstock video -even the california state freeway was closed man!!!!
great event awsome music awsome venueWELL DONE BF ADMIN.

Now THAT'S what I call a traffic jam - all the way from upstate New York to the Pacific Coast!

Andrew
siberian
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 9:37:58 PM

beakyfish wrote:
I know they need to make money but seriously too many people this year
Put the price up or get rid of the big names
Peter you will destroy a great festival if you keep over crowding. No big screens outside mojo diamond seating doesnt help
I will give it one more chance

AGREE 100%. Of course there were too many people there. Last year was OK but with the rain and excess crowd numbers its starting to become unpleasant. Too crowded in some tents and impossible to get in or out of the tent once the musics started. Had to watch some bands from outside in the rain. Tickets are too expensive to have that going on. Not enough toilets and difficult to find a seat to eat this year.

Hey, we aren't trying to get a Woodstock experience here. As for the "official figures" there were 20% + more than last year so please don't tell us there were only 85,000. More like 100,000 plus as reported in the Brisbane newspaper. Making money is fine but don't let us pretend it was just the same as last year. It wasn't. Great bands, loved it otherwise.
anitra
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:56:49 AM

My perspective on numbers is tempered by previous festivals and because I recall Red Devil festivals, I don't have a problem with the crowd numbers these days. I remember being glad I wasn't claustrophobic at Red Devil when the fight to move from point A to B by the last couple of days of the festival could bring me to the closest I've ever experienced to having a panic attack. And the queues for the women's toilets were way worse. You could miss half a set you wanted to be at trying to have a pee.

The current site and tent layouts is such a huge improvement that I think it does cope with the crowds, even at the densest times. There will always be moments when you feel you aren't getting where you want to be quickly enough, but I think the current site is working well, and getting subtly better each year.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:31:50 AM

You can manipulate figures,but there were not 100,000 people there per day.
Divide that by 5 and you are closer.
I was there for the entirity of the festival and the only gig I was squashed at was Iggy,because of where I was.
There was heaps of room everywhere else.
You can't compare it to Red Devil where you had to go to the golf course to get some personal space.
At a measly $299 for five days,you can hardly expect an unimpeded seat in a theatre.
I had no difficulty finding some grass to sit on to eat....there was plenty round Crossroads or Jambalaya.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
Jaylee1
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:08:09 AM

last year, when the weathre was beautiful, there was more people sitting outside enjoying the balmy evenings. This year, given the rain, everyone was trying to stay dry.

It's not hard to see why the site seemed more crowded than usual

(Although, I did think that Friday was slightly too busy)

JT
siberian
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:21:20 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
You can manipulate figures,but there were not 100,000 people there per day.
Divide that by 5 and you are closer.
I was there for the entirity of the festival and the only gig I was squashed at was Iggy,because of where I was.
There was heaps of room everywhere else.
You can't compare it to Red Devil where you had to go to the golf course to get some personal space.
At a measly $299 for five days,you can hardly expect an unimpeded seat in a theatre.
I had no difficulty finding some grass to sit on to eat....there was plenty round Crossroads or Jambalaya.

?$299 for five days? I paid about $350 for 3 days plus $150 for fuel plus $500 for accommodation. I don't want to pay $1000 and not be able to get in to see a band.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:49:28 PM

You are paying $1000 to see 20 to 22 sets.
Not one band.

If you want to be sure you can see popular acts without using strategy, you need to go to a side show where you can choose your seat.
For example I paid $135 plus booking fee to see the Santana/Steve Miller sideshow.
Plus drove 6 hours each way.
Plus accommodation $85.
That meant I didn't bother seeing them at Bluesfest.

If you want to be sure you can see popular acts at Bluesfest,strategy is required.
If I had wanted to see those two gigs at Bluesfest,I would have used appropriate strategies to get a good spot.

The 5 day bluesfest tickets were $299 AU,plus whatever fee you pay depending on what buying system you choose.
I paid $299 cash at bluesfest 2012.

PS The poster formerly known as Dan is probably the expert on strategy.
He knows where the best sounds are heard and how not to get caught in a Mosh Pit

BC1987
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:58:22 PM

will second the statements of the lone ranger.

i spent all up on 5 day festival plus 5 day camping plus tent motel plus spending money $1300 and for that money i saw 34 concerts over 5 days.

strategy is always the key... mine is spend 3 months going over the schedule 6 times a day working out the best schedule to see the most possible big names plus the best talent on the lineup.

the only decision i regretted was doing the ben harper solo set over glen hansard... the solo set put me to sleep in my chair, seriously the set was so slow & uninteresting i dozed off & was startled when a friend tapped me on the shoulder to say he was heading to mojo early... sorry if that offends ben harper fans! the other 33 shows were fantastic though :)

2014 should cost about the same for me, but will will have to wait & see prices of camping & tent motel.

if you want to see your favourite artist no problems, make the effort & see their headline show... for instance i live in lismore & travelled to brisbane to see ben howard at his gig... cost me $300 on top of bluesfest but was so worth it as i got to see ben howard, willy mason & royal southern brotherhood (played same time as bh at bf).

can't wait for 2014 & the stressful schedule it will surely bring :)
skot20_58
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:59:20 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Not one band.

If you want to be sure you can see popular acts without using strategy, you need to go to a side show where you can choose your seat.
For example I paid $135 plus booking fee to see the Santana/Steve Miller sideshow.
Plus accommodation $85.

If you want to be sure you can see popular acts at Bluesfest,strategy is required.
If I had wanted to see those two gigs at Bluesfest,I would have used appropriate strategies to get a good spot.

The 5 day bluesfest tickets were $299 AU,plus whatever fee you pay depending on what buying system you choose.

He knows where the best sounds are heard and how not to get caught in a Mosh Pit

Trust Patrick on this one Dan... is a professor.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
waffles
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:46:26 AM

dont think hes a professor of economics....but my brother in law is. patrick,just ask keith hes met him several times at bf.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Marie5
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:27:29 PM

compared to other b/fests I thought the crowds were fine

we had no trouble finding seating when we wanted a feed.

missed Robert Plant because of the crowd (and couldnt really hear from the back). other big gigs (Steve Miller, Counting Crows, Roger Hodgson) were fine to get a good spot.
the only "really big" crowd was for Paul Simon. We got up the front on the r/hand side for Zac Brown and stayed thru Bonnie Raitt and then Mr Simon. perfect view and sound.

got our tixs last year for $299. incredible value
also got our tixs for 2014 for $320 - still great value.

all in all a wonderful bluesfest
cant wait till next Easter.

paddle faster I hear banjo music ..............
katieforfree
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:06:52 PM

I had no trouble getting where I needed to at the festival. You do need a strategy and a plan if you really want to see an act. Try getting there before the act starts and going in from the side not the back. I was in the same spot as Marie for Paul Simon and there was plenty of room behind me for more. I know that some new patrons might struggle with the logistics but for me the acts and set up are fine. By the way I use a chair for up the back and stand for the frount. As a older lady with bad knees I need a chair for 5 days.
siberian
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:05:07 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Not one band.

Plus accommodation $85.

Err, yeah I didn't mean one particular band I meant any major act. Lets face it few people sit out 20 sets. Most go for the main acts. You can use as much " strategy" as you like but for most of the major acts and for some of the minor ones a significant number of people who purchased a ticket like everyone else were unable to get into the tents. Sometimes hundreds listened outside in the rain. Its just a fact. There were simply more people than space this time. Regardless of your strategy, a lot of people still won't be able to get in.

All I'm asking is that the facilities be increased to cope with anticipated crowd numbers. Simple.
cutercomputer
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:50:09 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
I do not think there were too many people this year.
There were very few acts which were crowded...less than a handful.
I had no trouble finding personal space.
It was great to see some of the stallholders so busy.

You have said all that I wanted to say and more...

If people want to go to smaller venues to see their favorite acts...go see em at the side-shows

“Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable.”
Samuel Johnson