Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

LOSING IT'S MOJO Options
dogsinspace
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 5:26:07 PM
Groups: Member

As a local from Byron shire i have now been to at least 12 Bluesfest events... First few being at RED DEVIL PARK when it was truly an amazing event!!!! I remember how the mojo and crossroads tent had seating up one whole side of each tent and tiered seating at the back of the crossroads tent...with not ONE FOLD UP CHAIR IN SIGHT....due to ample seating already supplied NO CHAIRS NEEDED.. now replaced by the HIDEOUS BLUE DIAMOND SEATING (catering only for the RICH and few )where as the tiered seating catered for hundreds of punters FOR FREE!!!!! I remember always having room to move in every tent and the sound quality was AMAZING!! even though the major tents were close together there was no bleeding of music...It was ironic the other night as paul Simon was singing the sound of silence and all you could hear was the roar of music and base from the crossroads tent.. I remember the TOILET TRUCKS How miss them !!!i I remember when the music makers THE ORIGINAL BLUES SINGERS age 60 plus held centre stage at the MAJOR TENTS at a reasonable time.. SOME OF THE BEST PERFORMANCES I HAVE SEEN TO THIS DAY!!! I remember the INDIGENOUS STAGE introduced at BELONGIL...... GONE......... I remember the TWO LARGE screens inside the mojo tent placed halfway up for music lovers not lucky enough to be up the front to be able to view the artists on stage GONE.. As is the screen outside the mojo tent for people just wanting to chill outside..GONE.. I remember how u could walk aot of RED DEVIL PARK or BELONGIL and be in your car or on a bus and home in twenty to thirty minutes ...Now a five minute car drive can turn into 2 hours trying to get out of the carpark or same waiting for the buses!!!I remember when it was just a blues and roots festival With AMAZING ARTISTS without being BIG NAME bands...And as for the disabled! how about you make the BLUE DIAMOND stand for them rather than shove them up the back with people standing in front of them blocking their already limited view it's insulting!!! Like many other locals thinking next year will probably be my last unless improvements are made and that makes me so sad as i look sooo Forward to the BLUES every year....Anxious
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 5:58:40 PM

Calls for the tiered seating to be given overto the disabled sound a bit like..............

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
BC1987
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 6:08:14 PM

when on more than 6 occasions the mojo disabled deck was seriously over capacity due to demand to see the artists playing a second deck or one larger than the one up the back would have been much appreciated.

during jimmy cliff there were 42 disabled people on the deck... to fit all 42 the volunteers had to force off all carers for said disabled people. now these 2 female volunteers were not qualified in caring for disabled people but were left in charge of 42 disabled people... it was seriously chaos & i am going to be sourcing peter nobles email in the morning to beg & plead for a second platform for 2014 if he is planning to make the lineup as big... otherwise i may be like the 12 or so disabled people i met who aren't coming back ever again after this year.

how the festival has grown...
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 6:20:53 PM

In no way did I intend to dismiss any call for more Disabled facilities, just that a steep seating tier is not the answer.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
BC1987
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 7:08:01 PM

greybeard, its all good as i wouldn't recommend that sort of stand either :)

hopefully sanity provails & things are improved for 2013 as things were pretty bad re disabilities this year.

ps: i hope your bluesfest was as good as mine :)
dogsinspace
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 7:41:35 PM

Ha ha what i meant was to maybe have a disabled viewing platform where the hideous blue diamond stand now is to give them a fair go ..On two occasions my partner and i had to rescue a man in a wheelchair stuck in the mud at the back of the mojo tent... and i just think with the two larger screens now gone from the mojo tent its hard enough for them to see anything as I've seen before when people stand in front of them ...I did raise this a couple of years ago on the forum about maybe even raising their viewing platform slightly to give them a good view and like u say lets hope somebody takes notice this year and makes a few positive changes..
hobbitaurus
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 7:49:01 PM

I remember Crossroads having seating at Red Devil but I don't remember Mojo having seating... but it did have a natural embankment around it. That was sweet.

Maybe they should build an embankment or sink the main area of the tent into the ground ;)
dogsinspace
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 7:56:19 PM

Yes i saw John Butler for the first time in the mojo tent at Red devil sitting on a wooden platform along one side of the mojo .. it was a tiered platform as i was sitting up the top ..Dont know if it was there every year but it was definatley there one year ..And what a great setup that was sitting on the embankment looking down into the tent Red Devil was definatley the BEST......
dogsinspace
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 7:56:24 PM

Yes i saw John Butler for the first time in the mojo tent at Red devil sitting on a wooden platform along one side of the mojo .. it was a tiered platform as i was sitting up the top ..Dont know if it was there every year but it was definatley there one year ..And what a great setup that was sitting on the embankment looking down into the tent Red Devil was definatley the BEST......
BC1987
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 8:02:41 PM

its good to see we have a few people concerned about the disabled punters... cause over the weekend it seemed like no-one from the festival did.

a number of my fellow disabaled punters did raise that topic of having the platforms raised... most were about the jambalaya deck but i guess mojo could be raised also.

the platforms seem to work better for wheelchairs down the back of the tents as they have less crowd to navigate through, but all weekend when the mojo platform was full a number of us were asking why the empty diamond stand was not used as backup for disabled people who weren't wheelchair bound... unfortunately none of us disabled people had paid $1200 so it was out of the question as in our opinion money came first over safety of disabled punters... i would assume it wasn't the case.

on the flipside if you had paid the $1200 & these disabled punters just got put in you would feel ripped off but when the deck is full & disabled punters are being turned away & there is a platform down the front with at least 50 free seats it made a few upset., hopefully that platform is better used in 2014.

as i said i will be sourcing peter noble's email to ensure the situation changes for 2014... well i hope at least :)
dogsinspace
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 8:09:26 PM

Couldn't agree more ..I even raised the issue a few years ago about pathways for wheelchairs to move along as i so often see them struggling to move through the crowds ..Not to mention the mud when it starts to rain..This is a huge issue which really need to be addressed ...
beakyfish
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:56:07 PM

100% correct
agent99
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 10:40:26 PM

Dear hobbitaurus and dogsinspace
I fully agree with your reminiscences about the Red Devil Park and the Crossroads and Mojo tents (although I do not remember fixed seats in Mojo) but the embankment behind Mojo was an amazing space from which to see over the top of the whole crowd straight onto the stage (I think the Mojo tent was smaller then!!)
Three years ago I raised this issue of developing a "Hill" to create a similar feel and the functionality on this new site - no one seemed to agree with, or support this idea.
Much of the new site is very soul-less and generic (BUT I do not miss the old toilet trucks - or the ankle deep mud around them!)

Whilst the outside screen on Mojo was functional in the past (and much missed this year), all the screens in the world will not make up for being inside the tent and soaking up the vibe - therefore, during big acts or when it rains, all the chairs inside the tents MUST GO. How disgraceful and arrogantly uncharitable of all those who left empty chair behind or stood in front of their chairs, or lounged about in their chairs -not actually seeing anything, sometimes actually asleep!!! - while hundreds of people were forced to stand in the run-off torrent from the tent roof and in the rain itself!!

The stackable white chair suggestion (on another post from someone who says this is the system used at Woodford) and/or the small tripod stools that can be folded and easily slung over the shoulder (which is what I have) is all that the festival should allow inside the tents. If people want their own chairs they can sit outside (where it would be useful to have some more undercover space).

I also agree with the sound-spillage between Crossroads and Mojo (where were the bales of hay sound barriers this year?) - ironically and sadly, it did spoil the Sounds Of Silence.

desmondoc
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:14:50 PM

Good points dogsinspace. With all that land you think they could come up with a better set up. It all comes down to money and when your looking to drive profit and growth you cut back - screens being one larger cost, so out they go (Bob Dylan must be thanked LOL).

This year the Blues fest had a little sister debut down in Deniliquin - only for two days, but from what I hear back it went well. Attracted Santana, Tony Joe White, Jimmy Cliff and others. It's early days but i hear there was no problems with seats or rain, only flies. But once the smoke got going i'm sure they would have buzzed off. Maybe thats where the mojo's gone, might be worth the trip in the future if they can get it to three or more days. But I'll will be back for the 25th for a goodbye fling with older sister. Hopefully Gary Clark Jr is playing.
PS Glad to catch Fred Wesley. Applause
eileenk9
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 11:08:57 AM

I thought the two large screens they had half way down the Mojo tent in 2011 were great. I enjoyed the whole Paul Kelly set just watching these. Not so much when the camera man panned out during Bob Dylan's set so that all we saw was dots on the stage. Not talking

Sound spillage during Ben Harper/Charlie Musselwhite and Chris Isaak's set was bad on Thursday night.

bluesfestadmin
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 12:11:36 PM
Groups: Administration

disabled carers would do well to make contact with the bluesfest office - and advise they are attending with wheelchair disabled persons- we would then have some idea of the numbers - which were larger this year than ever before.
We are an event that has NEVER charged carers to attend the event - please note this is not a requirement in NSW - and of course many events charge carers - to get some return on the costs of providing
facilities for disabled people - Bluesfest does not. We provide viewing platforms in our 4 main tents - and disabled toilets - INCLUDING one located wighin 20 metres to the entrance to the VIP area.
it would seem for us - the best thing we can do - is to look at charging carers in future - with a requirement for them to list they are attending the event as carers for fully disabled persons - in order for us to provide the level of access - they seem to require. it will only be then that we will be aware of the numbers attendig - and be able to cater accordingly.

thanks
bboard admin
waffles
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 2:27:16 PM

Applause Applause Applause

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
BC1987
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 2:56:50 PM

dear bluesfest admin.

i believe you will find that the majority of disabled punters only way to afford to be able to come to your festival is by getting the second ticket free, as it makes it affordable. if you choose to remove the companion tickets you will drive away a large number of patrons or put them severly out of pocket.

i definitely agree that numbers need to be noted for 2014 so overcrowding doesn't occur, hopefully there is a system in place for next year.

hopefully something is sorted so things are more comfortable next year & still affordable for disabled punters.
thanks again for a great 2013 lineup :)
dogsinspace
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 2:58:52 PM

Dear agent 99 my partner also suggested that they create a hill like the one at Red Devil and we both agree its such a soul -less site .. He said he will only return if huge changes are made !!! I will be back but do hope to see some changes because for the first time after 12 Blues festivals i commented the other night its the first time I've walked in and felt absolutely no vibe and like you said such a soul-less and generic site...On the positive side its nice to see that the Bluesfest admin do actually read our posts!!!
waffles
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 4:05:08 PM

where do you suggest they build this hill?

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.