Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Is Bluesfest for Young children Options
fumbles01
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 4:58:11 PM
Groups: Member

I respect everyones right to bring there kids along to Bluesfest, but does a young child really have a good time?
I mean from prams to 10 years old, OK if they`re into music, but hours of sitting around in a largely adult environment would be very boring? (at times dangerous)
I would be interested in peoples opinions, my kids are grown up now and can bring themselves, but if I took them as young kids I`m sure they`d have drive me mad with when are we going?
groovq
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 5:10:26 PM

One of my fondest memories is of taking my 6 year old back at Red Devil. Singing along to 'Excuse Me Mister' from Ben harper (His Favorite Song at the time) i'd have to say lately though its turning into more of a 'Big Day Out' vibe - The Drunken Yobbo crowd IS increasing which in my opinion is ruining The BluesFest Experience for both adult and kids. I remember the kids area back then was pretty cool as well. don't know about know

NSSherlock
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 5:23:02 PM

Saw plenty of kids who had smiles on their faces. No objection at all from here to see kids there. I thought it was a welcomed change to see some kids just doing the kid thing.
phobkirk
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 9:52:05 PM

We took our 14, 13 and 11 year old sons - no problem. They love it, and really get into it. They are veterans now, this being their third bluesfest. I was more concerned for by 80 year father-in-law, is first event of this kind, but he loved it once he got used to the crowds. My youngest son had his festival moment when Ben Caplan shook his hand!

I have however a strict policy of ear plugs for my sons - especially if they go up front for a dance. Young ears are easily damaged. I speak from experience having damaged my hearing at many punk rock gigs in the 70s as a teen.

So is the festival for kids? I think the answer is yes it seems to provide a safe environment, is it for babies I don't know. However I can understand their parents not wanting to miss out.

The more kids (young teens) and elderly 60+ the better in my opinion. There are more out of control older teens in recent years - if this trend continues then a much heavier security presence will be required.
mama03
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 5:51:24 AM

We had our 3 kids with us (youngest was 12) and they had a great festival. They held their own at the barrier, were joyful audience members and didn't expect any babying. The nicest thing was that people in front often checked that they could see, asked them how they were enjoying the music, who they'd been to see, etc. I can't imagine bringing a baby to such a big event, the dude at Robert Plant scowling at people who came too close to his baby's pram had me scratching my head wondering how much music pleasure you can really get when you are wrangling a grumpy baby. I'm glad we stayed at home in the early years, bouncing our howlers on our laps, listening to our Nanci Griffiths records and saved this amazing family experience until we could all participate in it equally. The girls both met Wilco, Patti (16) danced on stage with Iggy, they discovered the doughnut stand by themselves and they could all go to the loo without me having to go too! Half the pleasure of the festival for us as parents was seeing the kids independently wandering around, using their maps, timetabling their days and being genuinely moved by the music.
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 7:12:38 AM

getting kids too close to the front is not a good start for their hearing.some bands were playing at 90db.
give them a chence.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.