Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

should mosh pits be allowed at bluesfest Options
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 4:40:29 AM
Groups: Member

I saw Iggy at BDO in Auck 2006.
Was 6 from the front.
Not a big crowd and a metal fence in the top portion of the area manned by a security guard,presumably to limit entry numbers.

Bluesfest 2013 I took up a position 8 from the front directly in front of Iggy.
Iggy arrives on stage and I get pushed forward.
Look around to see a metaler with a blue hat jumping around with a couple of other guys directly behind me.
Pushed them away but they take no notice and selfishly insist on taking up the space previously occupied by a much larger number of people who presumably have moved back.
It gets worse and I continue to be pushed forward.
A couple of dudes with no alcohol tags on their arms arrive and try to push their way thru to the rail.
A couple of older guys across to my right tell them off but they find weak leaks and get through.
I make my feelings known to them by glaring at them.
It gets worse and the only way for me to go is forward and I end up at the rail.
There is a short lady behind me who is getting crushed so I let her stand in front of me.
100 people go over the front with me assisting.
The two brothers are among them.
I think that is good to get rid of them.
Half the people dance on stage for one song and half in the pit.
Then they all go back into the floor area.
Not long before the two punks force their way back to the front.
But only one gets through.
The other with the coloured hat cannot get past me.
Then someone is pulling my hair,elbowing me in the head and ripping my shirt buttons off.

In my opinion Bluesfest should have placed two security guards directly behind me and stopped this developing.
If punks or metalers want to do this,boot them out.
I could not hear one word Iggy said,could not concentrate on the gig at all and it was a complete waste of time me attending this .

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Jaylee1
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:15:35 AM

Patrick - did you really expect to be able to stand quietly at an Iggy Pop gig that followed the Dropkick Murphys?

I'm sure looking sternly was effective!

Truly - what did you think would happen?

JT
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 10:09:00 AM

I spoke with a 15 ? year old who had the time of his life,being tossed around with Iggy, he didn't look or talk like a punk in the presence of his mum and dad.
For me Iggy was never on my radar.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 10:14:41 AM

I was 20 rows back just over to the left and was pleasantly surprised at how well behaved the crowd was while still being very much into the music.

The poster formerly known as Dan
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:10:05 AM

As I said in another post, got hammered about in the pit for Dropkicks and Stooges and had the time of my life. Felt like a 15 year old at the time and a 50 year old the next day when the aches and pains presented themselves. I went with Iggy over Robert Plant because I wanted a more raucous time. Pit was very good natured for the most part - anytime anyone fell, they were pulled back to their feet in a hurry.
eileenk9
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:12:43 AM

I'm still wondering why Iggy was even at Bluesfest.

Would have loved to have seen him though.
skot20_58
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 8:22:13 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Was 6 from the front.
Not a big crowd and a metal fence in the top portion of the area manned by a security guard,presumably to limit entry numbers.

Look around to see a metaler with a blue hat jumping around with a couple of other guys directly behind me.
Pushed them away but they take no notice and selfishly insist on taking up the space previously occupied by a much larger number of people who presumably have moved back.
A couple of dudes with no alcohol tags on their arms arrive and try to push their way thru to the rail.
A couple of older guys across to my right tel them off but they find weak leaks and get through.
It gets worse and the nly way for me to go is forward and I end up at the rail.
There is a short lady behind me who is getting crushed so I let her stand in front of me.
Then someone is pulling my hair,elbowing me in the head and ripping my shirt buttons off.

In my opinion Bluesfest should have placed two security guards directly behind me and stopped this developing.
I could not hear one word Iggy said,could not concentrate on the gig at all and it was a complete waste of time me attending this .

This is the funniest post in the the history of the internet!

I say sir! sir!

Had you heard of the drop kicks before???

And by ripping your shirt i think you meant to say blouse........

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
oldbilly1
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 2:13:30 AM

Still laughing
pod2006
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 7:28:51 AM

Note from Tonto to the Lone Ranger: If the heat in the teepee is too hot, take 10 steps back and 10 steps to the side (any side) and you will be in a different crowd and be able to refocus on the event. Choose your battles. Surrendering some ground and smoking the peace pipe with a new tribe is surely a better option than inviting security guards onto the reservation.
greybeard
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 8:38:33 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Was 6 from the front.

Gee, Patrick my two Bluesfest supplied Body Guards NEVER left my side the whole Festival

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Midnight_Rambler
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 1:20:25 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Was 6 from the front.

A couple of older guys across to my right tel them off but they find weak leaks and get through.
It gets worse and the nly way for me to go is forward and I end up at the rail.

Oh dear.
ColintheRolfer
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 9:29:33 AM

I was up in the front during Iggy: started off at the metal barrier, but at 6'2'' tall, let a lot of shorter people in front of me out of a sense of fairness. Subsequently I was about 4 back from the front. The mosh pit experience occurred immediately behind me: at times it was raucous, but for the most part good natured. Another dad and I used each other as buffers and buttresses to stop the crush affecting those in front of us - a case of two strangers altruistically co-operating to ensure safety. The mosh crowd were like stretch fabric moving every which way, this buffering and buttressing was like seams in the fabric that provided a sort of fluid boundary. Occasionally some aggro youngster pushed through, but like good kung fu we let them keep going, but at a more oblique angle than they intended. Anyone being conveyed forward above the crowd was assisted over our heads. Those in the very front didn't suffer from from what was coming from behind them so much as from what was coming back over the barrier: one lady in front of me (56 yr old rocker, I know cause we compared birth dates) copped a major blow in the face (maybe even had her nose broken) from the body of a punter that security returned back to the crowd over the barrier.

Commonsense would dictate that if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Of course with a performance like Iggy Pop there will be raucousness; to stare people down is better than punching them, even if a bit passive aggressive.

What was more perturbing at Bluesfest (to my mind) was when obviously and aggressively drunk young people entered the tent and tried barging up to the front half-way through gigs like Paul Simon, standing in their height in front of short, elderly people who had been there for hours waiting to see PS - lighting up cigarettes, talking loudly over the music saying how shit and boring they considered it. Asked to be considerate and not thoughtlessly block the view of these true fans, they got really threatening and aggressive. Imagine this scenario: three large, 20 something year old yahoos physically intimidating a couple of peaceful couples aged in their mid sixties at least. Now that was reprehensible.
acb
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 10:29:15 AM

I didn't see Iggy but had an interesting experience at the Crossroads barrier some hours earlier. Three 20 something guys, all tallish, had staked out front & centre before Sweet Honey in the Rock. When asked by some shorter women if they could perhaps share the space more equitably they refused, citing their need to be there for Iggy some 6 hours later. They confirmed they had no interest in Sweet Honey.

A good spot is often worth protecting, but I suspect those obstructed would have gladly let them back to the barrier after the show. To their credit, however, they remained quiet throughout and showed some respect for the performers and those with an interest in hearing them. Had they been disruptive there could have been some aggro.

Andrew
rstroud
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 10:35:46 AM

I wasn't at Iggy (my son was) so I can't comment on that. I was at Manu Chao on Sunday at the front. That was hectic and very physical but not nasty in any way. As a 59 year old, I just looked on with fascination and enjoyment. Great music.

I was at Bonnie Raitt/Paul Simon. I had some young guys beside me talking throughout Bonnie Raitt, but by the time she sang her encore "I Can't Make You Love Me" (How ironic ?), and a favourite song of mine, I fronted him and said STFU, which worked, but it spoils the moment. These situations will always happen and you have to play it as you see it.

Wasn't it a fantastic Bluesfest ?
SiorseHouse
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 1:22:04 PM

It doesn't matter what act I see or at what venue but if you manage to get a spot in front of or one back from the barrier there is inevitably some tool talking on the phone to a mate saying "Guess where I am!" If you are not there to watch AND listen AND enjoy to the show then wtf? I just don't understand it at all. Plus I think it is terribly disrespectful to a performer to see you in front of them standing there dead to the music, just talking away to your mate, clearly not paying any attention to the glory happening in front of you. If I was a performer I'd probably stop the show, point you out and tell you to eff off out of my audience! I also hate to say this but it is often a lot of teens to 20s who are guilty of this. It's not easy to make it as an artist or to stand up in front of a crowd to bare your soul. You can chat on your phone or to your mate anywhere. Please do it outside the tents if you are not interested because the rest of us are and you are affecting the experience for us.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 1:48:35 PM

Bonnie Raitt was a very nice set.
Manu Chao was a very energetic set,and there seemed to be alot of people who knew the language...perhaps South Americans...
I bought one of the recycled road train canvas hats from the Darwin based guy who said he was from Brazil.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
waffles
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 3:07:07 PM

have a look on youtube of royal southern brotherhood from bluesfest 2013 and a good part of the clip shows 3 people just in front of the camera and probably 6 rows back,with their back to the band talking through the performance.
why not do it outside.
think of others.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 4:52:38 PM

RSB.....Do you mean on Zyfert's site ?

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 5:41:35 PM

The only time I have ever seen any moshing was in Apra with Fishbone,which was tiny.
My brother & his friend were in the middle for the Murphys.
He said apart from one headbanger there was no problem.
I arrived for the last couple of Murphys songs,stood on the right,looked across to the centre and could see no moshing.
They moved to the right front and I moved to the centre.
The thing was started by three guys,and if they had been stopped,the problem would have disappeared.
At BDO the 100 people who went over the front,could not have got back up the front because of the security guard and metal bar.
They didn't know any of the words to the songs.
All they do is yell out M...........F.......... all the time.
Same with a drunk guy behind me at Grey Ghost.
If they don't know the words they should shut up.
I got pushed from 8 to the front to the rail,so I don't know what happened to the 7 people who were in front of me.
I guess they disappeared out the side.
Certainly not a good night to wear an expensive shirt.
Bare chest or an old teeshirt would have been the best choice
I didn't try to exit as i could not see how big the pit was,and there was too much of a crush to try to go backwards in the tent..

Which brings up the point of where the best spot in Crossroads would have been.
At the first Wilco gig I was about 16 rows back,while at the second I was at the rail.
The sound at the first gig seemed better.
A guy I was talking to after Iggy, who is involved with organsing Port Fairy,told me that the sound is set to give best results about 20 rows back.
On that basis,Dan had it right in terms of location.

So in future,we had best have some warnings as to where Mosh Pits might develop.
I am informed that Nick Cave is assured to have one.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 8:41:57 PM

http://13thfloor.co.nz/reviews/concert-reviews/bonnie-raitt-matakana-ascension-winery-april-7-2013

Bonnie Raitt review just in.