Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Sound Options
cutercomputer
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 7:01:37 PM

Groups: Member

I'm not sure what the score with the sound desk is but there have two enormous FAILS thios year (in my opinion).

One was The Blind Boys...where the person mixing couldn't get the vocal mix or the lead guitar mix right the entire show.

The other was Newton Faulkner, who was one of the acts I was most looking forward to. I had a couple of guitar playing mates who have never heard him go with me and was really looking forward to their reaction. Sadly the mixing for him started out bad and got progressively worse....I swear the moron on the sound desk must have been 18 or something cos it was mixed like the sound one hears coming from a boy-racers car in the main street on a Friday night, all bass, very little mid-range, and no treble. Newton is one guy with a gat, if the sound guy can't get that right there's something terribly wrong!!!!

Having said that all the other mixes have been 'sweet-as-a-nipple' so I guess I'll get over the two failures. Just a shame they're two of me favs :-)

“Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable.”
Samuel Johnson
fire462
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 9:24:17 PM

Don't they bring their own Sound guys to operate the desk? Most acts do
cutercomputer
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 7:54:10 AM

fire462 wrote:
Don't they bring their own Sound guys to operate the desk? Most acts do

If these two acts did then they ought to sack them, if not the Festival organisers need to black list those particular operators

Samuel Johnson
codyanderson
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 1:34:08 PM

when most of the bands played... all you could hear was the loud bass noises from the drums or someimes the bass players!!!!!!

i got really p*$%^# off with it!
Shame on you Shame on you
NSSherlock
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:09:52 PM

Must be difficult. With a usual concert they can set up and do a decent sound check with nobody there. With Bluesfest it's set-up, make sure things work and play.
But then some got the sound right and some didn't.
BC1987
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:28:09 PM

the sound in some sets was hopeless... the most noteable was xavier rudd in mojo... if you were behind the sound desk you couldn't hear a word the guy was singing as the vocals were too quiet.

also they do soundcheck in the mornings before gates open with no one in the grounds... i clearly remember hearing robert plant on stage at 10am saturday morning... which got me so pumped for his show when i heard how good his voice was :) the guys on the desk need to improve for 2014.
acb
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:54:16 PM

I thought the sound quality was excellent this year. There are always a few issues but overall, very happy.

Andrew
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 8:21:03 PM

acb wrote:
I thought the sound quality was excellent this year. There are always a few issues but overall, very happy.

Andrew

I'd pretty much agree - I've complained in the past, but it generally sounded better this year than I remember in previous years.wasn't at the 2 acts cutercomputer mentioned, but Trucks/Tedeschi, Shorty and Toussaint in the Crossroads all struck me as good examples...
hobbitaurus
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 11:34:21 PM

I forget when it happened but at one point there was massive feedback at the end of a set and it went for a good 30s with everyone covering their ears.

Surely they could've just pulled some sort of master down while they tried to source the problem.

Oh well, I thought it was funny :D
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 6:57:47 AM

we have to remember that there is 30 minute between bands.not much time for a quick setup and sound check. i noticed many performer ask for more vocals etc. and got it.

i thought mixing was pretty good.

eg. mixing for grey ghost suited that band.not usually my chosen type of music but i LOVED GREY F...ING GHOST!!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
normastijk
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 7:05:05 AM

ScottM wrote:
acb wrote:

Andrew

I'd pretty much agree - I've complained in the past, but it generally sounded better this year than I remember in previous years.wasn't at the 2 acts cutercomputer mentioned, but Trucks/Tedeschi, Shorty and Toussaint in the Crossroads all struck me as good examples...

+1
phobkirk
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:07:35 AM

On the whole the sound was pretty good this year IMHO.

Interestingly in Mojo the bigger name acts seemed to have both quieter and clearer sound - guess they can afford the best sound men, or maybe it was just more bodies absorbing the waves?

Jambalaya was way too loud and too much bass for me for first couple of days, but then they seemed to work it out.
pod2006
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:34:56 AM

I agree. Sound was generally very good, but very poor in lotus for jon anderson; and if outside of tent for robert plant, virtually inaudible. By contrast Iggy was as clear as could be desired.
cutercomputer
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:09:35 PM

NSSherlock wrote:
Must be difficult. With a usual concert they can set up and do a decent sound check with nobody there. With Bluesfest it's set-up, make sure things work and play.
But then some got the sound right and some didn't.

Newton Faulkner is on man with an acoustic guitar....how hard can that be!!!???

Samuel Johnson