Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Chairs! Chairs! Options
mike2011
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 4:55:25 PM
Groups: Member

Bluesfest has to look at chairs in the tents up to a certain time. Rain on Friday kept out heaps of punters because chairs were in but not being used. I estimate 150 people could replace 30 chair spaces. Come- on people lets make all welcome into the inner sanctum. Big pluses to Santana, Steve Miller Band & Taj Mahal.
WerdnaY
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:15:12 PM

Just as we were moving on after Roger Hodgson and the brilliant Jon Anderson and Allen Toussaint (what a day!) we heard an announcement adjusting situation due to the rain and renouncing the chair "permits" at the rear of the tent in order to fit more people in. Shame about the folk at the rear who expected early occupancy to claim some real estate, but they do tend to take up a lot of personal space when the big names are on... the ones in front of the mixing line are positively hazardous - why can't folk read the advisories BEFORE bring chairs? Why not install bleachers like they do at other big events negating the need for anyone to have to bring chairs for the headline acts.
codyanderson
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 1:43:40 PM

piss the chairs off and away from the front!!!
it got really annoying for the other people trying to have a good time

i was standing in the back left of the standers having a good time with everyone else and dancing and carryoing on and stuff like evryone else and some older lady tapped me on the shoulder and rudely said "move now!!! your blocking my view"
i thought that was quite rude and i wanted to do something about it but i didnt!!

only have the f ing chairs where they are suppose to go
Speak to the hand Speak to the hand Speak to the hand Speak to the hand Speak to the hand
kokoloco
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 1:57:10 PM

I have been going to Bluesfest for over 20 years and there is no need for chairs in tents.I know a woman who tried to get into tent when it was raining on Friday for Santana and was threatened by a big burley bloke,all she asked was for them to fold up their chairs so others could fit in the tent.They were't even using them!! Also Babies why do people feel the need to bring babies to festivals. Im sure they arent THAT into the music.
janluci
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:39:08 PM

Yes, lets look at chairs.
But remember 50% of the audience is over the age of 50 - as are many of the performers at Bluesfest - and are more than happy to leave the front 50% of any tent to the other 50% who want to dance and stand all night. I was standing at the front right of Crossroads when the audience for Rufus Wainwright was asked to pack up all chairs and remove them at the back so others could get in out of the rain. Meanwhile, where I stood everyone had a full metre or two of space around each person. For some reason everyone else must have been hugging the back of the tent! I was wondering why the tent was so empty compared to other concerts!! Then there are the youngsters who simply lie down on the ground and trip up everyone trying to move forward.
But back to chairs.
If they are banned outright in future festivals, I imagine you will lose 30 to 50% of your audience. There is just no way those of us with artificial knees or hips and arthritis and scoliosis, let alone dodgy tickers, can stand up all day and night to see the acts they came for.
Sure, when a headliner act comes on - like Bob Dylan a few years back - sheer weight of numbers means that everyone seated gets up and folds up their chairs and stands for the duration. But in the meantime, we oldies do need to have somewhere where we can rest in between acts and in less populated tents.
So please don't ban bring-your-own seats outright. Simply make provision for them to be folded up for the biggest acts or when demand necessitates.
Otherwise, anyone want to buy a 5 day ticket at cut rate prices for next years festival??
RubberBand
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:47:18 PM

I agree with janluci that if chairs are banned the ticket sales would plummet. We had 7 children in our group and I had surgery a few weeks ago and wouldn't have been able to cope having to stand the whole time. The younger children in our group could curl up and snooze and the chairs meant the other kids on the ground weren't getting crushed under foot. We found though that most people were friendly and respectful and happy to shuffle chairs up when asked to make room. We certainly did! It's totally reasonable to ask them to be packed up during the more popular acts when it's raining, because it's no fun having to stand outside in a downpour, but getting rid of them all together would just make zero sense.
bambambam
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 4:01:52 PM

Sorry everyone but camp chairs just have to go, they take up way too much room and are ruining the festival,,,
A happy compromise would be those lightweight stools, some of them now have back support,,,
they take up way less space and can be folded up and carried around so you can get a drink or go to the loo,,,

And pleeeeeese don't put in that riser seating again like three years ago because that blocks the views into the tents,,,

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
NSSherlock
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 4:07:51 PM

I wish I had a chair. Gummy leg after breaking my knee. Just couldn't stand any longer so I sat on the grass where it was dry when it wasn't raining or on those yellow bases that hold up the poles for the barrier (for ages in the rain at one stage). Leaning against the pole was a relief.

There has to be some sort of compromise. Chairs can just as easily go outside as they can in as long as there is cover if it rains. Halving the indoor chair area would make a huge difference. Put screens up outside. if those that have chairs want a better view for a big act then move inside and stand.
adamplooy
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 7:39:25 PM

we all need chairs at some time but a bit of common sense goes along way.
The item i see has no benefits what so ever except to piss everyone off was the so inappropriate, useless, impractical indian headrests. What fool aloud them into the stalls. I much prefer watching the band than some tool with a dead seagull on his head. Are these jokers for real?? on behalf of my partner and the other two thousand people behind these fools i asked them all to take them off nicely, to my satisfaction and the cheers of a few hundred people they obliged.
bambambam
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 8:20:02 PM

adamplooy wrote:

The item i see has no benefits what so ever except to piss everyone off was the so inappropriate, useless, impractical indian headrests. What fool aloud them into the stalls. I much prefer watching the band than some tool with a dead seagull on his head.

Funny :0

Had that happen to me in Jambalaya, She was a foot shorter than me and I couldn't see a damn thing,,,

In their defence though, the headdress did kind of look beautiful,,,

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 8:21:58 PM

of course the solution to the chair problem is for bluesfest to provide rows of chairs that cannot be moved. one section only with chairs. noone brings chairs,noone takes up too much room,you leave your chair and someone else sits there.

less room taken up, more people fit in.

it worked in cavanbah.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 8:29:01 PM

I really think that the core of this issue is with individuals and a lack of consideration, rather than a strict policy issue. I took a chair on a couple of days and would try to take up as little space as possible, and if it looked like rain, would see if I could find a bit more space. I would like to hope that others would all take the same approach out of empathy, but like others on this board, saw plenty of instances of very selfish behaviour from chair owners. I don't know if it was a lack of spatial awareness, a lack of consideration, an overinflated sense of entitlement or what, but it is a shame to see so many people who don't "get" that we're all in it together in that situation.

I don't know that rules are the answer. BYO chairs have been a fixture of folk and blues festivals the world over for a long time now, and I think that the existing rules can do the trick if properly adhered to by considerate attendees....
NSSherlock
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 9:07:46 PM

waffles wrote:
of course the solution to the chair problem is for bluesfest to provide rows of chairs that cannot be moved. one section only with chairs. noone brings chairs,noone takes up too much room,you leave your chair and someone else sits there.

less room taken up, more people fit in.

it worked in cavanbah.

I had thought that was a good idea but then if the heavens open up you have rows of chairs that can't be moved to allow others in. Plus navigating through rows might be an issue as might people "reserving" bulk chairs for others who are wandering around.

I reckon at least halve the chair area inside the tent and make it known that a directive to move chairs outside or to fold them up can be made at any time.
Still allow chairs in but not to be inside a tent other than half the area this year or not at all.
phobkirk
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 9:31:45 PM

This chair issue is a difficult one.

Older patrons are simply not capable of standing for extended periods, we had an 80 year old in our party, in addition to my sons 14, 13 & 11 (bluesfest veterans). Without a couple of chairs under cover in fixed position bluesfest would not have been feasible for us. However we kept our chairs to a minimum - 2/3 for a party of 9, and cleared them requested.

In cases of rain people need to be under cover, no question, and anyone who didn't fold up their chair when requested really needs to re-apply to join the human race.

My solution would be to only allow only the smaller more portable 3 legs stools, ban blankets, and warn festival goers that in the event of rain they may be requested to fold them up for the later more popular acts - so everyone gets a fair go.

We felt there were more people at bluesfest this year than in previous years, the "diamond areas" reduced the available space in the tent. From my observation these areas were not well frequented - perhaps they should be reviewed? Also perhaps an additional undercover areas should be considered to protect people from the rain.

I was astounded that someone near us parked a couple of 'reclining super banana' chairs early on Monday, and left them vacant all day. Very poor form. I am pleased to report that over time these monstrosities were folded up (by persons unknown), and eventually completely closed up completely. The owners returned 15 mins before the Paul Simon start, and were surprised, but left with the mega-chairs anyway. The nerve of some people!
fire462
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 11:03:35 PM

Just make it a real festival atmosphere and build 5 entertainment centres where everyone can sit down with tiered seats and no problems with the rain, the kids can have a seat each and sleep, after all they do have a ticket, the people at the back can see and hear, the idiots with dead birds on their heads aren't blocking everyone elses view. The list goes on and on. ..... A music festival my arse and I am 60 years old. Half the punters at Bluesfest wouldn't know what a music festival was. Go to the sideshows if you want to see the musicians in absolute comfort you morons. You wouldn't take your 5 year old kids there would you? Great for those that just had a heart transplant tho! Bluesfest was once a true music festival. Not any more! Great acts- Yes, Value for money - yes, morons in chairs that think they own the joint -yes, mums that think their sleeping kids on the ground get preference over full ticket price music lovers- yes. The organisers should check out Woodford at new years to find out what a music festival is. I am over 60 now and still love real music festivals. Wont be at Byron anymore tho unfortunately. Even read posts in the forum here from people whinging because their mobile phones wouldn't work! IT's a phucking music festival! who needs a phone? Rant nearly over. Bluesfest has become a money making machine and they don't care who pays and who doesn't as long as it is money in the bank for them. Thanks for the good times Bluesfest. Remember your patrons will be mostly dead in 3 or 4 years.
bluesinmypants
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 11:29:34 PM

The solution to all the boring whining about chairs is a simple one. Bluesfest needs to provide more seating throughout the entire area....standing all day is just a pain.bring back the outdoor screens at the rear of each tent and voila! People won't have to cram inside . To the whiners complaining about seat people understand not everyone wants to pogo at the front of the pavilion , so you do your thing and allow those who want a tiny bit of comfort to sit back and enjoy. Show some understanding for those unable to stand all the time. It's a party for many different people with different needs and desires.
SiorseHouse
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 1:27:54 AM

I didn't make it this year for health reasons so am disappointed with some of the problems you guys faced this year despite the killer acts that were playing. Last year was the first time I took a chair with me because I'd just had a bad health diagnosis and was not at all well. I simply couldn't stay upright for an entire day and night and there really isn't any supportive public seating anywhere throughout the festival grounds where you can have a rest unless you go back to your tent and sit in your own comfy chair. Having said that I never once left my chair unattended for longer than a pee break. How dare people leave their chairs in a venue and toddle off to see another act or wander around the stalls for food or goods! That to me is the problem. It is totally feasible to have a section for chairs but they can't be left unattended and they can't also just spread out willy nilly throughout a venue. For safety reasons alone there need to be pathways in and out, so the chairs need to be confined to specific zones and if those zones are full you and your chair are out of luck. If people are not willing to pick up their chair and take it with them wherever they go throughout the day then they shouldn't bring them. And if you see a chair out of the designated zone and with no bum sitting in it for an extended period of time then people should feel free to pack it up and stick it outside the tent. Perhaps then people will take some responsibility for their possessions. Why should people pay to see an act and miss out even getting close to a tent while an empty chair gets a good view and listen? That does not make any sense.
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 2:36:48 AM

I have seen the FUTURE and it is the Cavenbah Stage setup
Chair arranged at the front, people polite, attentive and early. Standing at the back, full view of what's going on if not dancing, blabbering on or rushing off to gatecrash another tent.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:11:41 AM

Standing at the back at first I thought was a great idea until I had a go at seeing Russell Morris but no way could I could get past any one. Was keen to hear the old stuff & some stuff from the shark mouth album .... Perhaps narooma fest I may get lucky.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
hobbitaurus
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:29:17 AM

The chair policies have been reworked time and time again and every year there's a thread about the chairs... we're never going to make everyone happy.

Personally, I have no problem with the allocated areas for the chairs - I think that's been working nicely so far...

HOWEVER

There were so many chairs still set up and not being used during the big acts - in a lot of cases, the final act for the evening.

So, these obviously aren't the people with health/medical issues and can't stand for long periods of time... I understand some people need chairs... but that's a cop-out and a crappy excuse for the people who are just jerks.

If you 'need' a chair, then chances are, I'm going to see you sitting on it at some point, right?

I'm thinking, in particular when Paul Simon was on. A lot of people left their chairs out despite standing the entire time - It's not like these people needed to keep their spot for the next act - he was the last one. And I know why people did it - so they'd have room around themselves.

Selfish.

In my opinion, it's not in the spirit of things - music is something we should share and enjoy together. If all the chairs were packed away I'm sure we all COLLECTIVELY could've been a hell of a lot closer to the music which we came to enjoy together.

It's a shame because I hear people rabbiting on about the "good old days" ... well, we're not in Red Devil anymore, and I'll tell you what I miss about the "good old days" - a lack of sharing and community spirit, and it mainly comes from who proudly beat their chest and say they've been attending for X number of years.

The point is, if you're such an avid festival lover and a music enthusiast... well, you should probably know better and be more receptive to the concept of communal enjoyment, empathy and unity with your fellow festival-goers.

If you have a problem with being in close quarters to other people, maybe a festival isn't your thing... maybe something like, some sort of entertainment centre, arena or bowl is more your style. You don't even have to take your own chair to them, how convenient is that!

But don't ban the chairs... Ever.

I admire the old music-lovers who still get out to a festival, I love that people can bring their kids. I love that for the most part it all works nicely and people from all ages, all walks of life and different mobilities can all enjoy Bluesfest.

You don't need to change policies, you need to change peoples attitudes

but that ain't gonna happen Boo hoo!