Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Glen Hansard . Brilliant! Options
hensis
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 11:25:17 AM
Groups: Member

For a man with the talent, credits and history that Glen Hansard and 'the Frames' have , how and why was there only a one hour set ,in the middle of the day for his awesome 12 piece ensemble.
Having seen him play a 3 hour set in Melbourne to enthralled audiences (three shows in melb alone) it was a great shame he was not able to take on one of the late night spots in the big tents . We all missed an opportunity there.
tenant
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 7:59:42 AM

Oh yeah, rated him right up there, with Keith Urban and Michael Buble! For an Irishman, of which I share my blood, he sure had a lot of Yankee BS goin' on! It takes more than thrashing the acoustic until the strings break to be a master, Van may not have audience rapport, but he has class!
eileenk9
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 10:03:57 AM

Glen's Yankee bs could have something to do with the fact that he has been touring the US with Eddie Vedder on his last two solo tours. ;)

I'd still love to have seen him though.

tenant
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 10:05:52 AM

Hmmm, a bit middle of the road for Vedder I would have thought, but, to each their own. He trys hard, but doesn't make the grade for mine.
hensis
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 6:33:28 PM

Dear tenant.
Being a master doesn't mean much if there aint no 'soul' . Ive seen plenty of technically gifted players who dont say much at all and then players who will play the hell out of a few chords.
Glens got a hell of a lot of energy ...and a pretty good dose of what makes so much music that hails from Ireland a cut above the rest .
So surprising to hear him compared to those you mention.

And yes... Vedder, Springsteen, too name a few and many others hold him in the highest regard.

I enjoyed a number of bands of different types at this years fest, from Trombone shorty and Beast of Bourban to Iggy and The frames and they all 'got soul' albeit in different ways.
Listen to the frames live album' Set list' and you will hear for yourself how off track your comments are.
Buble -? Thats ridiculous.
tenant
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 1:39:48 AM

Dear Hensis,

I must admit I don't know much about Hansard, but he just struck me as less than genuine, and if you ain't real, you certainly ain't got soul! I would rather have no interaction, Van style, than saccharine laced suck ups to the audience.

That was why I thought of Buble and Urban, 2 of the most painfully fake characters I could think of,(except perhaps for the latter's other half and her ever so genuinely lovable costar in that nauseating nonsense, Australia) not so much a musical comparison. And I saw and heard enough of the Frames to tell they are a bit light on for my liking, despite the broken strings and plectrum worn holes in the spruce tops.

Love Springsteen, have since 73, not 84, admire and respect Vedder but prefer his colloquial godfather Neil , amused by Iggy, bored to death by Trombone Snore-Ty, and The Cruel Sea was far and away Tex's best ensemble.

Don't take offense mate, we all have different tastes and perceptions, and maybe I'm turning into that grumpy old man everyone warned me about, but shit, it hasn't done Van any harm to be perceived in that fashion.

Enjoy the rest of the festival mate, may have stood next to each other somewhere in the last few or years.
cutercomputer
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 7:21:00 AM

hensis wrote:

Buble -? Thats ridiculous.

Ridiculous indeed, Michael pumps-up, Glen deflates. I always come away from listening to Mr Hansard feeling that I just witnessed some great music, well crafted songs, lovely vocals, with the net effect of making me want to slit-my-wrists!

“Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable.”
Samuel Johnson
tenant
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 7:47:46 AM

Missed my point even though I explained it. But hey, if it gets you in, then the charade has done its job, for some.

hensis
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 11:44:30 AM

I am sure we have stood near by at a few gigs Tenant as I totally agree with your comments about Neil and cruel sea so our tastes are not so different it seems ... but on this one I just think we will agree to disagree .
PS. You sound like my mates who didn't get Leonard Cohen in the early years when I thought his poetry and songwriting was fantastic.
Funny thing is they all went to see him recently.
I think the only reason I have responded again is to do some justice for Mr Hansard is a real muso in every sense of the word.
He still busks (check out youtube), he was involved in a small independent film that cost 100k that his band members put together and he ...at the last minute... was asked to star in... and then went on to win academy awards. He is a story teller sure...so whats wrong with that... thought the Irish respect a man that can tell them .
PPS. If you love Springsteen -Take not that Glen and the frames backed him on a number of tour gigs. I doubt the boss would put up with someone who is fake.
anitra
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:17:27 PM

I think Glen Hansard is a genius for the way he moves between 'slow knife between the ribs' passion and 'out of your mind with grief' passion, within the same song. I can't understand why anyone would view him as fake. The emotional reaction he generates in his audience, as they respond to his emotion is what great musical performance is all about.
But looking through all the forums, Tenant has really stood out as the most consistently disgruntled, vitriolic and just downright unpleasant poster. So each to our talents - Tenant's talent is being an unpleasant jerk...
bambambam
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 4:30:45 PM

The Frames set was my favourite moment of Bluesfest this year
but my wife put in her earplugs and sat down and zoned out,,,

I guess Glen divides audiences but for me I totally got where he was at,

I also loved johnny lang last year but when I dared to put a post up I found myself
forced to defend his performance and wondered why nobody else gets it when an artist
truly sings with everything that's in them

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
hensis
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 3:48:50 PM

So agree with last couple of comments . Was starting to wonder where the support for him and band was. I too dont get that people 'dont get it'.
Was also my favourite bluesfest moment of this year and I saw most.
I am sure if the band and he had a longer late night set he would have many more converts and changed a few minds and created more of a buzz around the place.
You dont get 5 or more standing ovations every time someone plays like he did in Melbourne for noting. Obviously he has real fans like some of us and many who still dont know much about him. Oh well, I know I and many others will continue to enjoy Glen and the frames and his particular brilliant songwriting and vocal prowess.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 4:01:23 PM

ill be chasing his cds,thought he was a great natural performer.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.