Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Car Parking Options
richo
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 12:10:35 AM
Groups: Member

After three years of this parking/traffic system that clearly doesn't work I'd think organisers would try something new.

I get that a few thousand cars want to leave at the same time. But there's no shortage of entertainment centres, sporting venues and even other festivals dealing with equivalent crowds where it doesn't take 90 minutes and the patience of a saint to get out of the venue.

Why do the two carparks feed onto one road? Make north carpark cars go north and south go south. If people need to go the other direction they can turn around at the next exit a few minutes down the road.

I'm no traffic engineer, but the current system doesn't make much sense...
wigsta
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 1:50:46 AM

I whole heartedly agree...we left the festival at 11.15 am and didn't get onto the highway till 2am.....it seems that the powers that be emptied the southern car park before even thinking of directing the north car park. i understand as you say that there are a few thousand cars that leave at the same time, but tonight was just ridiculous.
BigKahuna
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 9:07:13 AM

Yep i also totally agree. Also, why was the eastern carpark, closest to the venue completely empty, yet we were forced to park MILES AWAY. Those who arrived last benefited the most as they got to park much closer to the front gate, and exited at the same time as us who were forced to practically park on the freeeway, Complete bullshit

dtucker
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 9:22:44 AM

After putting up with this for many years, we discovered the bus. Even if you don't live anywhere near the bus route, you can drive to Brunswick Heads or Byron and catch the bus from there. It's stress free and there's a great vibe in the bus on the way home.

My main issue in the days when we did drive was that people didn't take turns in getting into the queue and just tried to jam in. If the traffic flow was more orderly it would move a lot quicker.
mgwfall
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 9:46:43 AM

I was in the southern car park & thought it worked a lot better than previous years. They had people at the end of each row directing flow tthat avoided some of that jamming. I stayed until the end of Charlie & Ben & was back in Ballina by 1.15 (& C&B didn't finish until 12.15). The bus queues looked long & not many buses around when I walked passed the queue.
johnovj1
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 9:48:54 AM

its a simple thing to organise traffic flow! a few controllers letting cars flow in an equitable way is not too much to ask it certainly destroys the vibe when you are stuck for 2 hours in one spot !! it seemed to us the carpark just emptied from the top to the bottom with absolutely no sense of fairness to people who parked in certain bays its not about the politeness of the people they were incredibly patient its an organisation issue that will ultimately work against the great things that happen with the rest of the festival there were a lot of unhappy and frustrated people last night to the the extent that some patrons started to be traffic controllers themselves the legal repercussions could be serious if there was any accidents FULL STOPShame on you Shame on you
BigKahuna
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 9:55:39 AM

lots of people venting on facebook, some people didnt move for 2 hours, complete insanity. Its a vibe killer

NSSherlock
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 10:09:29 AM

I'm kinda glad I had to leave a little early last night. I made it straight out.
After hearing this I'm thinking of parking at Brunswick or going into Mullumbimby. I'm at Hastings Point so can't go directly by bus from here.
Any hassles with buses getting out and what times do they leave?

Found the timetable - checking it out.
eileenk9
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 10:35:36 AM

NSSherlock wrote:
I'm kinda glad I had to leave a little early last night. I made it straight out.
After hearing this I'm thinking of parking at Brunswick or going into Mullumbimby. I'm at Hastings Point so can't go directly by bus from here.

Parking at Brunswick Heads shops and getting on the shuttle is the way to go.
BigKahuna
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 10:57:26 AM

oh awesome now the forum is getting spammed...

NSSherlock
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 10:57:52 AM

eileenk9 wrote:
NSSherlock wrote:

Thanks. Called the Bus company and they said it may be a hassle with parking at Brunswick. Billinudgel or Ocean Shores is an option. Might be a bit suspect leaving the car at Billinudgel.
Brunswick would be quicker for sure. Thinking will chance a park at Brunswick and if no good turn back and head to Billinudgel.
eileenk9
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 5:45:47 PM

NSSherlock wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:
NSSherlock wrote:

Thanks. Called the Bus company and they said it may be a hassle with parking at Brunswick. Billinudgel or Ocean Shores is an option. Might be a bit suspect leaving the car at Billinudgel.
Brunswick would be quicker for sure. Thinking will chance a park at Brunswick and if no good turn back and head to Billinudgel.

Yesterday afternoon we had no problems parking at Brunswick Heads shops just around the corner from the bus stop.

Had a horrible time stuck in traffic getting out of the Gold Coast though. All up it took us 3 hours to get from our place near Southport and into the gates at Bluesfest. Brick wall
katieforfree
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 7:32:44 AM

Parking much better Saturday.
BigKahuna
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:42:22 AM

We got out of the carpark in 10 minutes last night :)

NSSherlock
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 12:49:12 PM

Well parking at Brunswick last night was a good option but it still took 2 hrs to get out of Bluesfest.
Ages spent trying to get on a Bus in a queue that had no start and moved according to where the bus stops. I got on the 4th Bus and waited there for about an hour and then there was the time getting out on the Bus.
Some were lucky and may have got on almost straight away. One guy complained that he waited 20 mins. I told him he was lucky.

The girl trying to organise the queue tried her best but can't know who has been there the longest and she had to ensure the buses wouldn't block the turning circle. Security stepping in was useless - they were totally clueless.

Other queues seemed to be better organised.

There needs to be 1 single line for the Brunswick Bus from Bluesfest starting at the sign and heading out towards the carpark. As you arrive head to the end of the line. Regardless of where the Bus stops then fill each bus as it comes from the queue in front of the sign even if they need to walk back. It aint Rocket Science.

tenant
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 7:54:12 AM

I have a secret solution to the car park issue, been using it for years, sorry, can't tell, it's a secret!
Allanthus
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 10:19:12 AM

After two hours to exit North C Thurs night, we tried South on Fri. Faster out, but a real slog to push past the bus queues to get there. So naively thinking things would have been addressed went back to North, but no, after parking right on the road at the highway end of North B, we were still well over 90 minutes stationary.

Please BFest team, this is killing all enjoyment of the festival. We sat and watched hundreds and hundreds of cars streaming out the north exit, we watched people arrive at their cars in the overflow carpark, well over an hour after we had been sitting idle, and drive straight out...

Why is priority given to clearing the south carpark first? Why can't there be co-ordination which allows each section to take it in turns to get a run going? Why are North B and North C treated like 2nd class citizens?

You have parking staff standing waving cars around corners where it is plainly obvious there is only one place to go. Why not try some staff who are aware that whole sections have not moved an inch for over 90 minutes, and who are smart enough to co-ordinate a fair and sensible exit plan?

And please don't be in denial. You have a problem. Admit it and then fix it please.
Please don't be like the only staffer we saw - who was a guy on a motorbike who was telling everyone in B and C that there was a bus accident in Byron which was the cause of the delay. And that we shouldn't complain because there might be others who were injured or killed. What absolute tosh! He refused to look over his shoulder and acknowledge why, despite this "horrific accident" there were still hundreds of cars exiting without problem.

Yes there was a bus accident, some 9-10km away, which had no bearing at all on festival traffic.
Please don't be sitting at a debriefing this morning patting yourselves on the back for a job well done. Trust me, it isn't. It's a crock.
We get it that there are a lot of people wanting to leave at much the same time. We get it that we need to be patient - as most people have been. But what we don't get is that it doesn't have to be anywhere near as bad as this.