Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Camp chairs Options
waffles
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 8:17:00 AM
Groups: Member

next time youre dancing,just check out how much room you take up and have a look to the people behind you,who are trying to see the band with you jumping around in front of them.
sure dance till your hearts content,but give yourself and everyone else some room.then everyones happy.

ps the rule as of 2012 is no chairs forward of the mixing desk,and chairs stay inside the white lines.

a little bit of organised chaos.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
holly10
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 10:30:23 AM

Yeah definitely a fair call, if I expect people in chairs to be considerate then I will make sure I'm a considerate dancer... Unless I'm feeling particularly antagonistic in which case maybe I'll dance on a chair!

I missed last year but that sounds like a good compromise to me, I think the year before they had said no chairs in the tents after a certain time but don't think it had much effect... But when you've been to a few the memories blur together a bit so don't quote me on it! (That's an open invitation to be quoted, isn't it?)

Peace to you all, give me a few more years and I'll probably be bringing a chair along too.
stillrockin
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:59:04 PM

OK we understand that 2014 will see fixed chairs provided behind the mixing desks in Mojo and Crossroads. I am hoping an organiser will answer this, or better still post more info on the website...
We are a bunch of thirty 50-60+ y olds who have been coming over 10 years. We need to sit some of the time although some of us stand up front as well. We understand folding chairs OUTSIDE these tents with cover and big screens promised.
I'm just looking for a bit more detail on the fixed chairs - will the be the white plastic type used in food areas? Presume tied together? How will organisers (try to) control chair 'reservations' ? Surely we are allowed to hold a chair while someone goes for food/drink/call of nature?
At the same time, could an organiser please consider and provide an answer about the HUGE amount of space occupied by "mixing areas" - creating a 'wedge' behind them that blocks view of stage. I understand the mixing person wants to be in center of tent - but do all the empty cases need to be there? what about all the 'hangers on' standing in there? The best I've ever seen was a Springsteen concert many years ago where the mixer was up about 12 feet in the air, (like the lighting) allowing the crowd behind the mixer to see thru the open scaffolding - c'mon Peter Noble and crew - how about creating more prime viewing space for us paying punters?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:58:11 PM

Based on what was provided in the Lotus Tent this year,and based on what I have seen at the rare outdoor concert I have been to here,the white plastic chairs tied together are what will be provided.
At nearly 60 years of age,I have never brought a chair to Bluesfest,and am more than happy for anything to sit on or against.

I'm keen to see the 30 of you continue to buy Bluesfest tickets,but if you hang out as a gang,do you hang out in the same tent most of the time.
I bring up that point because I'm not in favour of people hogging the same chair all day.

How would you propose to regulate how long someone is allowed to leave a chair they they have not got a specific licence to occupy ?.
I say that because the free market approach would say that if you leave a chair,it is fair game,given that you have not paid for a ticket which entitles the bearer to preferential treatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWjYuwTTrU
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
richo
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:25:15 AM

stillrockin wrote:
At the same time, could an organiser please consider and provide an answer about the HUGE amount of space occupied by "mixing areas" - creating a 'wedge' behind them that blocks view of stage. I understand the mixing person wants to be in center of tent - but do all the empty cases need to be there? what about all the 'hangers on' standing in there?

Just lose the sound desk altogether... it's not like the mix could get any worse.

In all seriousness though, the FOH mixing area is so large because at any given time there could be several different groups working at multiple consoles who need to space to do their job without getting in each others way. It needs to be big enough to cater for the larger setups of headline acts who will often have their own dedicated gear sitting unused all day until they play. Most sound/lighting guys I know are there to do a job and hate if anyone is around who's not meant to be... definitely no hanger-ons!
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:33:20 PM

why cant the mixing desks be at the back of the tent and raised?

stillrockin
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:26:21 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Based on what was provided in the Lotus Tent this year,and based on what I have seen at the rare outdoor concert I have been to here,the white plastic chairs tied together are what will be provided.
At nearly 60 years of age,I have never brought a chair to Bluesfest,and am more than happy for anything to sit on or against.

I'm keen to see the 30 of you continue to buy Bluesfest tickets,but if you hang out as a gang,do you hang out in the same tent most of the time.
I bring up that point because I'm not in favour of people hogging the same chair all day.

How would you propose to regulate how long someone is allowed to leave a chair they they have not got a specific licence to occupy ?.
I say that because the free market approach would say that if you leave a chair,it is fair game,given that you have not paid for a ticket which entitles the bearer to preferential treatement.

Hi Ranger
Well we already have our tix.
No, we dont hang as a gang...usu in pairs or maybe groups of 4...we all have our priorities...some arrive 12 noon, others 6pm. Some bring chairs - others dont.
I have no proposal for time regulation, I merely ask and wonder if organisers have given any thought.
Your free market approach is too inflexible - people need to be able to answer the call of nature as I posted.
I assume for now that 'public' seats will be treated just a little more public than 'private' chairs in the past - whenever we wanted to sit down in a tent early in the day we just sat in the nearest folding chair, and NEVER had any hassles when owners returned - we just moved to another chair. Same thing happened if we vacated our own chairs.
Later in the evening when tents get crowded thats a different story - we often folded our chairs down and stood by them. This wont be possible with fixed plastic.
So I figure if there are empty seats people will be relaxed. If there are seats covered with bags they will be left alone. But if there are no empty seats, I'm gonna start moving bags that have been there overlong...how long is that? Havent decided yet.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:29:46 PM

From a security viewpoint,I would have thought it wise to take your bag with you,whenever you move.
My travelling companion packs his own food each day and carries it together with any other gear, in a backpack.
So he moves with his backpack on.
I carry only a bumbag,so it is always with me.

I believe that if there is a chair which is not occupied,but has a bag,drink bottle,scarf,coat,or any such item to try to 'mark the spot',as the occupant has no legal contract to occupy,such item is able to be removed and placed under the chair.
If people wish to move away without personal items,it is at their own risk.

I believe that if you occupy seat 26 in row 2,if you leave it,you should take your gear with you,and if when you return someone else has occupied it,you must look for an alternative seat,which may be seat 3 in row 12 or seat 15 in row 22,or may be no seat at all.
A seat is a seat and if you like to sit,you will prefer it to standing.

If you wish to occupy a specific seat for a lengthy period,say 3 sets,you need to preplan strategically as I would do if I wanted to occupy a standing space at the front for 3 sets.
Get your refeshments at an appropriate time,and if you have a "Woolworths bladder" learn how long before a 3 set marathon when the last time is that you should drink...I have learnt how to do that,because at 59 you cannot last as long as if you are 29.
If you discipline yourself,you will be able to delay the call of nature until the time is appropriate.
If you cannot do this,you leave and lose the seat you occupy,which is not yours as you have not paid a fee for it.

Public seats are quite different to private seats.
Private seats have been able to be brought to Bluesfest for no additional charge over what someone pays if they stand all day,yet occupy more space.
Public free market seats are a much better idea.

I sincerely hope that people get heavily involved in moving things off chairs,to stop the kind of nonsense I saw in Lotus last year of attempted chair reservation.
I get somewhat annoyed with people leaving a strategic standing spot,and then returning trying to force their way through to the same spot.
In a crowded tent,the space they have formerly occupied has closed up,and if they leave,they should not expect to occupy that same spot.

I would like to see Bluesfest staff assist in chair monitoring.
For instance removing items left on public chairs and impounding them for a release fine.
If you do not have cats,the mice will play,and as I have seen,there are people of mature age who will thumb their nose at the rules by sitting on seating items at the front of the major tents.
They need to be brought to account.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
stillrockin
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 7:03:39 PM

Ranger, of course you are right about no legal contract on seats...but from a PRACTICAL point of view I think it highly likely that people in seats, who wish to wander off for a drink/meal/pee and return, will ask a friend or stranger to "mind my seat" - and mark it with the items you cite. (I know it's not "their seat" but let's be realistic - this is what heppens in many public venues). Their assumption of 'right to return' is similar to the person who pushes back to their original standing spot - and much more reasonable than the hefty youths who push down the front to join their mates just as the band starts, despite the fact that Old Ranger and Old StillRockin have been there for the 2 previous sets.
So its going to be REALLY hard for staff to monitor chairs and assist.
IF staff wanted to assist, impound etc there is a way - I have seen it used at major sporting events - AFTER seats are full, as one vacates a seat one obtains a time-stamped 'passout' from security. One then has 20 minutes (say) to return to a seat or the passout lapses.
This requires proper management by Bluesfest and I dont see it happening.
waffles
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:26:13 AM

im taking a battery powered led timer that will show how long i have been vacant from my chair. not.

i think the chances of security checking bags on seats will not exist.

you just make sure you go for food,etc during the breaks.if your not in YOUR seat,you wait till the end of the set to get it back...maybe.

ill still take a chair and if the sounds ok outside ill sit in the fresh air. and hope i can see a big screen.

...unless its raining.
...or when the paladins are playing!Anxious

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 8:18:39 PM

stillrockin wrote:
Ranger, of course you are right about no legal contract on seats...but from a PRACTICAL point of view I think it highly likely that people in seats, who wish to wander off for a drink/meal/pee and return, will ask a friend or stranger to "mind my seat" - and mark it with the items you cite. (I know it's not "their seat" but let's be realistic - this is what heppens in many public venues). Their assumption of 'right to return' is similar to the person who pushes back to their original standing spot - and much more reasonable than the hefty youths who push down the front to join their mates just as the band starts, despite the fact that Old Ranger and Old StillRockin have been there for the 2 previous sets.
So its going to be REALLY hard for staff to monitor chairs and assist.
IF staff wanted to assist, impound etc there is a way - I have seen it used at major sporting events - AFTER seats are full, as one vacates a seat one obtains a time-stamped 'passout' from security. One then has 20 minutes (say) to return to a seat or the passout lapses.
This requires proper management by Bluesfest and I dont see it happening.

Yes I agree it is an area which I think will be in the too hard basket for security to spend much time on.
Hopefully it will regulate itself without too much selfishness.
I know that girls will like to sit beside their partners,but apart from that I think it is good to mix it up by meeting new people who might happen to sit down beside you.
On the odd time I have wanted to sit down on the Crossroads stage,I have made sure I arrived early in order the claim a spot.
What I don't want to see is people leaving a chair for the whole of a break between sets and expecting to claim it back because an associate is minding it.
I don't think that is a fair cop.
It won't affect me personally but the likes of my travelling companion who has had a hip replacement,sits down most of the time.

bambambam
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 9:19:47 PM

In my humble opinion, noting just how many camp chairs were in mojo last year,
(an almost uncountable amount, in front of, and behind the mixing desk on all sides)
I find it hard to believe that they could fit that many plastic chairs in there,

So seating inside will be sort after, and most of us will be standing.
This means there will be more room inside the tents and the camp chair crowd will
be sitting outside watching the screens undercover, (which is a nice compromise)

And now I ask the question waffles asked, why exactly, in this day and age,
with technology and remote wireless, and computers and everything else available,
can't we move the mixing desks to the back of the stage????

(sorry waffles, you said "back of the tent" my question still stands though)

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
waffles
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:36:45 AM

the mixing area also contains the lighting person who usually need to view the stage.

but i have seen bands mixed from a laptop.

greybeard
Posted: Thursday, November 7, 2013 6:38:18 AM

After several months of round the clock designing, redefining, stress testing and patent rights issues I can now release to the world the last word in embargo busting patron comfort

inflatable chair

FIXED

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
colinsid
Posted: Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:20:51 AM

greybeard wrote:

After several months of round the clock designing, redefining, stress testing and patent rights issues I can now release to the world the last word in embargo busting patron comfort

inflatable chair

Bit less time on the patent & a little more time on the link, it soesn't seem to work. Ta.

colinsid
Posted: Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:23:52 PM

colinsid wrote:
greybeard wrote:

inflatable chair

Bit less time on the patent & a little more time on the link, it soesn't seem to work. Ta.

Does now, apologies may have been work computer blocking it.
kielsteel
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:04:12 AM

From Peter Noble in latest Bluesfest newsletter which you all probably got:

"We WILL be providing fixed seating in the Mojo and Crossroads areas - with additional tents around the circus tents for those with portable seating with viewing of the performances. Portable seating will not be allowed in the two tents.

We realise this decision does not please everyone - however, the calls for something to be done in this area became deafening - and we will review the seating after this years event"
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:17:22 PM

C/C the original link is working, the replies are just copies of the faulty link.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
cushlamay
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2015 12:07:42 PM

kielsteel wrote:
From Peter Noble in latest Bluesfest newsletter which you all probably got:

"We WILL be providing fixed seating in the Mojo and Crossroads areas - with additional tents around the circus tents for those with portable seating with viewing of the performances. Portable seating will not be allowed in the two tents.

We realise this decision does not please everyone - however, the calls for something to be done in this area became deafening - and we will review the seating after this years event"

How did this work out last year. ??
For the fixed seating was there a lot of people trying to reserve seats ... I am of the opinion that if you leave, you leave and its fair game for someone needing to sit down. Otherwise you will have people reserving seats for friends popping over to Jambalaya for an hour and coming back.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2015 1:47:33 PM
Groups: Administration

Rule is basically - if chair capacity is full - and you need to leave - the chair is deemed vacant
Sometimes people mind chairs for a short time whilst people go to the bathroom - we think that's fine
However, should an usher see a chair vacant for any extended period - when at or near capacity, and someone claim they are minding the chair, - they will deem it vacant if requested by anyone to allow them to sit there.
Everyone needs to be co-operative.
However at the last festival - there were hardly any chair issues

thanks