Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Camp chairs Options
willnallie
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:13:17 PM

Groups: Member

Probably a dumb question: Is it advisable to bring camp chairs to the concerts from one's own camp? Not a "mosher" and prefer to sit when not moved to dance like a mad thing...

"My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun"
groover
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:50:42 PM

Hi there, I have to take a chair as there is no way I can last for 5 days otherwise. If you are responsible with our chair it is fine, some people get pissed off with the 'chair people' because they leave them in areas where later in the evening others want to dance. The generally have areas set aside for people to set. Their chairs and its not a problem. There are a lot of us!
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:59:23 PM

University research suggests that Chair people are 34% more intelligent, in fact we are so smart we give MENSA the flick.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
groover
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:14:05 PM

Yes Greybeard you are absolutely 100% correct! I love to sit with my friends and have a meal together and enjoy the show. I can survive and keep grooving until the last act on the last night and then I feel sad cos its a whole year until the next festival! If I had to stand and sit on the ground I would be crippled lol!
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:50:30 PM

thank god chairs are getting a late run.
its about time.Anxious

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:41:50 AM

i might bring a chair this year

The poster formerly known as Dan
warrenselby-jones
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:29:04 PM

Nice quote Greybeard, doubt many believe it, chairshelp you rest your brain for the MENSA test! Cheers Wazza
willnallie
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:36:33 PM

Thanks folks. I knew there were other "chair heads" out there. I'm not new to outdoor concerts, we see just about all we can here in the Hunter (except over at evil Mike Hope's vinyard). But I know I'm gonna tear up when Susan starts to sing "Midnight in Harlem." What is it about that song?

"My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun"
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:48:20 PM

Well, even I am considering this will be my first year of the chair.
Trouble is my back is the type that hurts from sitting in bad chairs, so "getting out of it" may be more an issue than standing all day.

And it's good to see the great old topic of chairs inside finally get a run this year, as waffles mentioned.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:16:17 PM

I shouldn't imagine getting out of it will be that much of a challenge..... juvenile snicker

Come on, someone had to do it. I did wait an hour and a half for others to jump in. Fair's fair.

I shall be bringing three chairs - a fireside campsite lounging chair of bestial proportions, a normal cruddy folding chair for medium/long term festing and a smaller novelty size chair for more mobile festing.
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:27:36 PM

i don't get it!

The poster formerly known as Dan
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:33:27 PM

youngbill wrote:
I shouldn't imagine getting out of it will be that much of a challenge..... juvenile snicker

Come on, someone had to do it. I did wait an hour and a half for others to jump in. Fair's fair.

I shall be bringing three chairs - a fireside campsite lounging chair of bestial proportions, a normal cruddy folding chair for medium/long term festing and a smaller novelty size chair for more mobile festing.

I used inverted commas, come on people...

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:35:41 PM

warrenselby-jones wrote:
Nice quote Greybeard, doubt many believe it, chairshelp you rest your brain for the MENSA test! Cheers Wazza

The resurfacing of a once prolific poster
Would the member for the Sunshine coast
Please click HERE

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
warrenselby-jones
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:51:04 PM

And a very happy Vinnie Barbarino to you to Mr. Greybeard, hopefully I'll trip over you at Bluesfest at Easter, great to see your still posting!! All the best Wazza
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:48:36 PM

Wazza where you you been ?
Did they let you out of the hospital ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWjYuwTTrU
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
youngbill
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:20:50 AM

Well anyone who has met the great man can attest to his lithe form, particularly his morning chair-lounging in his sleepwear - a memorable image to start the day.

So I thought 'getting out of it' to use the parlance of your times wouldn't have presented much of a challenge for him. I could be wrong.

On reflection, he seemed to be always lounging, lounging this way or lounging that, so I don't know if he slept there as well. Although he seemed to have a grudging respect for my novelty size fest chair after a few days.

holly10
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:51:02 PM

I've got no problem with people bringing chairs, but I do get very annoyed when the tent is full of people who want to dance and see the stage but can't because it's full of chairs (usually only late at night or for really popular artists). In my humble opinion, if you can't see anyway, it doesn't matter where you sit. Be considerate and get out of the tent! Speak to the hand
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:15:37 PM

holly10 wrote:
I've got no problem with people bringing chairs, but I do get very annoyed when the tent is full of people who want to dance and see the stageMy dear Holly10 YOU CANT SEE THE STAGE? ! seated people are way below the eye-line of someone standing. but can't because it's full of chairs (usually only late at night or for really popular artists).What you mean is YOU cannot arrive late and pushin so easily when people are already seated In my humble opinion, if you can't see anyway, it doesn't matter where you sit.I only sit if I can see the stage otherwise I'm standing with my chair next to me Be considerate and get out of the tent! Speak to the hand If you don't want to earn your place up front go to the bar

waffles
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:33:26 PM

get out of the tent?

HOW CONSIDERATE OF YOU HOLY!!!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
holly10
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 7:57:39 AM

Hey I was just stirring things a bit with no-one but chair-heads on this strand! Didn't mean to cause any offence. And as I said I've got no problem with people bringing chairs, but probably didn't make it clear that I am happy to have them in the tent if it doesn't mean that there are hundreds or even thousands of people outside the tent who cant get anywhere near the acts they want to see. I reckon a chair takes up about as much room as at least 3 (probably 4 or 5) standing people, so I think that if you are in a packed tent sitting down and preventing people who really want to be in there from being there, then I think that's inconsiderate. I don't like to push my way into a tent but I like to be up amongst it, dancing, feeding off the atmosphere of the others in the tent, it's just not the same miles back in front of a screen. But I assume (perhaps wrongly) that if you're seated then there's not a whole lot of difference where you sit. Feel free to correct me on that. And to those with chairs (most people) who are considerate and don't stay there late at night or for the really packed shows, thanks! Probably should have said that in my first post! And waffles, thanks, but I'm certainly not holy...

Have a great festival!