Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Rodriguez Options
bucetti1
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 12:59:33 PM
Groups: Member

Searching for Sugarman deservedly won the Oscar.
As I keep saying- couldn't happen to a better bloke.
Patience is a virtue.He is getting the recognition he deserves.

When they go low-we go high.
BC1987
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 1:53:49 PM

this is the best music related news i have heard all day & is something positive considering most of the music news today has been focused on that horrible incident at soundwave yesterday in sydney where some idiot lit off a flare in a moshpit & severely burnt a young gir & others suffered burns & smoke innhilation...
thursday 28 march at 8.30pm is when i see this legend for the first time :)
Dan...
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 2:14:39 PM

great stuff, so well deserved. crazy that those AMAZING records couldn't make him popular Stateside though.

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2013/02/25/rodriguez-on-oscar-winning-searching-for-sugar-man/

The poster formerly known as Dan
bluesmaaty
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 9:22:20 PM

Great music. Humble but good man. Great doco movie and an Oscar. Maybe the States will now realize what they have missed.
regards
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 9:37:43 PM

My friends in th States have told me that recent gigs in the states have been selling well since the doco came out.

So now it would seem that many more will jump on the bandwagon.

A ittle bit late, I would think But with luck this will mean a good financial return for the man.
Dan...
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:57:35 AM

regards wrote:
My friends in th States have told me that recent gigs in the states have been selling well since the doco came out.

So now it would seem that many more will jump on the bandwagon.

A ittle bit late, I would think But with luck this will mean a good financial return for the man.

not that he will use any of it! apparently (and i truly believe it) he gives away pretty much all of his money.

The poster formerly known as Dan
bucetti1
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:25:56 PM

I don't think it's too late as Regards suggests.I also agree with Dan that artistic credibilty/recognition would be valued higher than monetary rewards.
At least (and thank God) it's not posthumous recognition.

When they go low-we go high.
johnnymac
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:16:09 AM

Loved the Doco......Don't know what the competition was but I am certain it deserves the accolades....................just an awe inspiring story and very well produced.

We have so many musicians to pay homage to at B/F this year and this guy should be at the top of the list.
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:07:23 PM

I thought it was really enjoyable, especially having been switched on to Rodriguez some years ago by Bluesfest (thanks Mr Noble!). But, aside from any sentimental attachment, I don't know that it was a truly great documentary, so much as a charming love note to an unfortunately underappreciated musician. For example, and without wanting to sound parochial, they did completely ignore his (moderate) success in Australia and the couple of tours that he managed here in the 1980's....

Regardless of these minor gripes, I would recommend it as a very worthwhile 80 odd minutes to anyone who enjoys music within the "singer-songwriter" genre, because I think the scenes with the man himself really capture the essence of the successful artist - unassuming, direct, quietly confident.

Given that he's now 70 years of age, it's a shame the film couldn't make it out 5 or 10 years earlier, which would have afforded more touring opportunities. Still, he's now onto show 3 at the Enmore Theatre, meaning about 9,000 tickets in Sydney. Pretty good going. And has me worried about how the Jambalaya tent will cope!