Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Rodriguez Options
glenboss
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:17:55 PM
Groups: Member

A friend sent the following link to me. I thought any other Rodrigues fans out there might enjoy reading it as well

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/rodriguezs-sweet-surprise-20130210-2e6fd.html
timcook123
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:19:40 PM

His story really is amazing!

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:02:31 PM

The story notes that Australian music promoter Zev Eizik brought Rodrigues to Australia, I think it should note that the Js Holger Brockman played Rodrigues to the point the commercials HAD TO also pick him up.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
spanner1
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:46:44 PM

I am more excited about Rodriguez than just about any other performer at BF. Searching for Sugarman is an outstanding doco and a must for any diehard music fan who is dedicated in their support of a particular artist.Cold Fact is still on my high rotation list
easyian666
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:25:37 AM

bumpers, coke, sweet mary jane
silver magic ships you carry
bring back all the colours to my dreams!!!!
bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:38:53 AM

Dear Spanner1,
Had the great pleasure of meeting him.An incredibly warm, genuine and humble person.Rodriguez is a big fan of Bluesfest and Mr Noble who saw fit to invite him thus renewing interest in his music in Australia- his words.
I understand your enthusiasm about seeing Rodriguez because he is a beautiful human being.

When they go low-we go high.
timcook123
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:22:53 AM

Don't try to enchant me with your manner of dress
Cause a monkey in silk is a monkey no less

And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
Don't put on any airs

B. Dylan
bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:43:27 AM

Right on Tim.
What fantastic lyrics.As I say the guy is beautiful.

timcook123
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:12:05 AM

bucetti1 wrote:
Right on Tim.

I was so shocked when I found out he was unknown in his own country

And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
Don't put on any airs

B. Dylan
Flegal08
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:23:25 AM

I have a few friends that had never heard of him, gave them Cold Facts to listen to and turned them on to him. We ensured that we built our Thursday schedule around seeing him, so glad to see that Waiting for Sugarman won the BAFTA for best doco this week, he deserves all the recognition he gets.
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:56:47 PM

I've only ever seen him once and that was at Bluesfest. In fact it was him and Taj Mahal appearing that got me to go to my first Bluesfest. What really amazed me at his show was that I've been a fan since the mid seventies and as a result probably know most of the words to most of his songs. I still listen to his records reasonably regularly. Any way, we were standing beside a group of about 7 or 8 young people, I would have estimated them as 18/19 yr olds, and they sang along word perfect with every song for the whole show. It just amazed me. Seems that he has sort of tapped into the next gereration as well.
spanner1
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:49:37 AM

timcook123 wrote:
[quote=bucetti1]Right on Tim.

I was so shocked when I found out he was unknown in his own country[/quote
Due to their prejudice and bigotry he was never embraced in the USA because of his name Sixto Rodriguez. if he had taken a more English sounding name such as Bob or John I am sure he would have been more widely recognised as a poet of his generation which he truly is.
I think Cold Fact remains one of the seminal albums of the 70's.
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:38:07 AM

There may have been some bigotry involved at the time but then how do you explain José Feliciano's success ? Success is a strange, elusive brew.
F Y I ( P.N. ?)
Quote:
It was revealed in 2013 that Sixto has written 30 new songs and is in discussions with Steve Rowland, the producer behind some of his old albums. "I've written about thirty new songs," Sixto told Rolling Stone magazine. "He told me to send him a couple of tapes, so I'm gonna do that. I certainly want to look him up, because now he's full of ideas."

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:48:56 PM

Rodriguez adds 3rd Sydney show.could'nt happen to a better bloke.

spanner1
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:27:13 PM

greybeard wrote:
There may have been some bigotry involved at the time but then how do you explain José Feliciano's success ? Success is a strange, elusive brew.
F Y I ( P.N. ?)
Quote:
It was revealed in 2013 that Sixto has written 30 new songs and is in discussions with Steve Rowland, the producer behind some of his old albums. "I've written about thirty new songs," Sixto told Rolling Stone magazine. "He told me to send him a couple of tapes, so I'm gonna do that. I certainly want to look him up, because now he's full of ideas."

Greybeard - Jose was a huge success in latin america before he broke into mainstream America. He was also signed to RCA in USA a major label unlike Sixto. Jose was not embraced until he played the same clubs in Grenwich Village as Bob and Joan and Newport Jazz Fest in 1964. His initial recognition rather than for his latin lyrics, was for his intricate finger picking guitar style that he modelled from Segovia He also later jammed with the Byrds and Jimi on stage so he caught a few breaks that avoided Sixto because of his spanish sounding name. Rodriguez is not bitter about his lack of recognition in America for his music, but his producer blames bigotry for his lack of acclaim at home.
I like them both but believe Rodriguez to be a superior song writer. Bring him on Bluesfest.
glenboss
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 6:46:33 PM

I was thinking about his show today. Last time he had a backing band of the Byron Bay musicians and they were really good. The only thing is they only played the Cold Fact stuff in the one show that I saw. If he's got "The Break" playing as his back up band this year, which is what the article I attached suggested, and most of them have known him for years, and with regard to the calibre of musicians they are, I think there's probably a good chance we'll hear more from the Coming From Reality record. They're the sort of band I could imagine doing a splendid extended version of Climb Up On My Music and a few of the others. I hope so.
spanner1
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 9:56:00 PM

i think you're right glenboss and according to the bearded one we may even hear some new stuff. Whatever he plays I will be there paying my respects
deanoc
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:45:38 PM

Does anyone here remember seeing him shopping in Byron Sat morning three years ago before his crossroads set.?? the few that did recognise him were warmly greeted and I just remember how truely laidback he was. Man from a muso to Steelworker all those years in the midwest to revitalising that west coast sixties sound. .. hes on the list !! legend