Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Stray Cats Options
jaaaaa
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 11:57:19 AM
Groups: Member

Surely they can extend their tour by a month to play at BF.

Byron would be a great place to finish their Farewell Australia tour.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 12:07:27 PM

Johnny Greens Blues Cowboys is the only Rockabilly I've seen at Bluesfest over the past four years,but there's plenty of other really good Rockabilly bands for fans to see in Aussie,so I'm not concerned at this fact.

I would rather Bluesfest target the likes of Ray Davies,Maceo Parker,Wilco,Tribali and New Orleans Artists.

Those wanting to catch Stray Cats in Aussie have gigs available in the major Aussie centres.

They are also playing in Auckland,but having seen Slim Jim with Darrell Higham in Wellington,and The Lee Rocker Band at Narooma,I figure the travel fees are better spent on something else.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
HowlinBindog
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 1:22:14 PM
Groups: Guest

Hang on Patrick...hold the phone!

You must not miss the Stray Cats...YOU MUST NOT MISS THE STRAY CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen both those acts but neither comes close to the power and passion that the Stray Cats brings to the stage

I was lucky enough to see them here in Oz way back and have the Live At Brixton dvd and there's no way Im missing this gig

This band stands alone as rockabilly's greatest act. Just my opinion of course and probably a bit controversial but man...

Neither of those two acts featured Brian Setzer and that guy is the X FACTOR

It could be the gig of the year

Do it...do it...DOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 9:11:11 PM

Yes Mr B you are correct.The atmosphere in that DVD is pretty compelling.
If I lived in a major Aussie city,or within easy driving distance of Jafaland,I would have purchased my ticket long ago.

I had a look at airfares this evening.
It's a two hour drive to Queenstown,and the 1 hour 50 minute flight to Auckland is only $125 each way,pretty good value to cover such a distance.

Downtown Auckland is a hard place to get a good night's sleep.
Staying at a backpackers is futile,and when I went to BDO I stayed out of the main area but still had to change hotel rooms due to some noisy motorway.

Reading the review of the French gig where some guy threw a knife to end it prematurely,was a bit offputting,as it made me focus on the length of it.
I've watched the DVD so often that the gig would be something of an anti-climax.
Now if it was the Brian Setzer Orchestra.....

We are in an economic recession,and I am probably best spending all the dollars on some more cds and dvds to support struggling artists.
Ry Cooder's comments in the Rhythms Magazine I was reading today,were pretty sobering in that respect.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
alickweber
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 7:11:50 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

We are in an economic recession,and I am probably best spending all the dollars on some more cds and dvds to support struggling artists.
Ry Cooder's comments in the Rhythms Magazine I was reading today,were pretty sobering in that respect.

I've not read Ry Cooder's comments, and I understand your distance from the gig, but I have to say that I think buying CDs and DVDs serves rather to support the record company not the artist... Unless of course you are buying independently recorded material... Maybe I'm just trying to justify the amount of $$ I've spent on going to gigs this past few years ;-)
HowlinBindog
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:46:40 AM

Buying cd's and dvd's will always support artists

Going to gigs does too

We should all do both on a weekly basis
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:03:43 PM

AAA
My basic costs to attend the gig would be as follows:
Drive 320kms return to Queenstown airport @say 50c per Km =$160
Carparking at airport @ $20 per day = $30
Return Airtickets = $250
Return Shuttle from Auckland airport to Town = $22
Concert Ticket = $100
Hotel 1 night = $65
Total Cost = $627

BBB
If I spent $627 on cds and dvds,how much would an artist make in his hand?
CCC
If I spent $100 on a concert ticket,how much would an artist make in his hand ?
Presumably this would have to be measured in terms of Gate takings versus appearance fees.

alickweber
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:53:22 PM

Point taken guys... My bad...

*Slinks away into the corner with tail between legs*
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:28:49 PM

For all I know,an artists may only get 10% of the retail value of cds/dvds,whereas it might be 50% of concert ticket revenue.
An industry insider would need to comment on those matters.

In the meantime,the well known NZ music retailer "Real Groovy " has been placed in receivership.
Management has taken over the Wellington store,with the fate of the other three up in the air.
This follows the collapse of a nationwide mainstream chain last year[used to trade as EMI].

With the collapse of the Aust/NZ currencies against the US dollar,it is going to be alot more difficult for promoters to bring offshore acts out here,so don't expect the Bluesfest Directors to spend a large chunk of their budget on expensive artists.

jaaaaa
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 12:36:44 PM

Patrick,
Sorry to bring up "pain" of not being able to attend gigs, when living in remote areas!!

But for those who can only buy DVD & CDs there is always the internet & the possibility of buying direct from the artist...... Some are producing their own stuff, etc
(Not that I'm telling you anything new)
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 2:25:25 PM

Jaaaaa,

Your suggestion is an excellent one.
The Paladins DVD is the only item I have bought over the internet.
I have yet to try Amazon.Com or artists websites.

I have been looking at Duke Robillard's site,where I note that all his cds are available for $15 US,and can be obtained autographed,so this provides the ideal solution.

Thank you for the brainwave.

jafa99
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 3:47:08 PM

Stray Cats and Eric Clapton are playing the same night in NZ. Who should I see? Or who would you choose?
HowlinBindog
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:27:13 PM

I've seen Clapton a few times and the Stray Cats once

I'd definitely be going for the Stray Cats
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:45:43 PM

It reminds me of that interview with Mick Jagger when they first went to the USA,and the journalist was quizing him on whether it was the Beatles or Stones who were at the top in the UK,and he said "You can prefer us,or you can prefer them."

I would venture to suggest Bob that your normal preference would be for Eric,and I recall you were making the pilgrimage to the Mission Vineyard when he was last here.
The reviews for that Gig seem to be divided between those who went to see the Messiah and who would always be satisfied with his presence,and those who found the event not to be ideal in terms of atmosphere,with a "going through the motions" performance.
I do not recall you presenting a review of the Gig.

I note that the $100 and $200 tickets are sold out,which leaves the $300 and $400 tickets still for sale.Considering four and a half days at Bluesfest is $290,I would suggest that it would require a devout follower to pay the residual higher prices required to see Eric.

Could you enlighten me as to the merits of Powerstation for live music ?
Mr Bindog has suggested that I should still think about the possibility of catching Mr Setzer.
Though I do prefer rockabilly more at the Pysch end,rather than the trad.

jaaaaa
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 5:49:40 PM

Jafa,
Last year's BB posts about Clapton's gigs then might give you some clue about mixed reviews from his last tour in Aust too.
As noted then - own view in Bris. Ent. Centre was - a bit disappointed as that was first viewing, and even for a legend there wasn't much spark of energy. Unfortunately. (Had very good seats.)
Others in other states had different views.

Note - everyone thought Derek Trucks was the best thing about that tour.

The way I figure it the Stray Cats aren't around as often as Clapton. They will have way more energy.

-- Also - for the other post running on Clapton - I would have thought a winery gig might be a better venue.
jafa99
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:50:10 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Could you enlighten me as to the merits of Powerstation for live music ?

It's ok, depending on the sound guys. The volume of some acts is too high IMO. I didn't enjoy Black Crowes there this year because of the sound. Kenny Wayne Shepherd a few years back was way too loud - I considered leaving but stayed and stood right at the back where the sound was unpleasant but just bearable. Might you, I heard KWS outdoors at Memphis and he was too loud there too. On the other hand I have enjoyed shows there, including Robt Cray, Tony Joe White, and perhaps the highlight, RL Burnside in 1998.

TheLoneRanger wrote:
I would venture to suggest Bob that your normal preference would be for Eric,and I recall you were making the pilgrimage to the Mission Vineyard when he was last here.
The reviews for that Gig seem to be divided between those who went to see the Messiah and who would always be satisfied with his presence,and those who found the event not to be ideal in terms of atmosphere,with a "going through the motions" performance.
I do not recall you presenting a review of the Gig.

I note that the $100 and $200 tickets are sold out,which leaves the $300 and $400 tickets still for sale.Considering four and a half days at Bluesfest is $290,I would suggest that it would require a devout follower to pay the residual higher prices required to see Eric.

I thoroughly enjoyed Eric's gig in Napier. Birdstuckinchimney wasn't overly impressed though. I already had a $100 ticket when I made my previous post but was slightly peeved to find they are on the same night. I was interested in people's opinions though, so thanks guys. Although I'm even more peeved now.
jafa99
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 9:19:42 PM

jafa99 wrote:
[quote=TheLoneRanger]Could you enlighten me as to the merits of Powerstation for live music ?

Scott Kara called it "the deliciously grubby Powerstation" today.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10542857

But who cares when the house lights are down. It's not salubrious, but it's not too bad - that I've noticed.
jafa99
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 12:11:13 PM

All's well. Stray Cats rescheduled so can see them one night & Clapton the next.

Bob
Always28
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 9:32:54 AM

Patrick I know you are a great supporter of the smaller record shops as you did with the guy at Mogo. If you want to find some good stuff on the web I would suggest Blind Pig records with their current deal of 5 CDs for $US50. Nice portfolio of current, up and coming and past musicians. Even at a crummy exchange rate that's not bad value and they got delivered inside a week.

The five Chrissy presents for me were Papa Chubby 'Deliveries after Dark' , Magic Slim & The Teardrops 'Midnight Blues', Jimmy Thackery 'Guitar', Elvin Bishop 'Booty Bumpin' and Albert Cummings 'Feels so good'.

As you know I'm just a guitar kind of Guy. Happy Christmas Mate and looking forward to seeing you again at Easter
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 1:10:59 AM

Hi Bob,

It was a tough call for Auckland music fans having these two gigs on the same night.

So it is logical of the Stray Cat promoters to change the date.

They might catch a few who don't want to shell out the megabucks for the residual tickets to see Eric.

Pity they didn't play in NZ's second biggest city Christchurch instead.They would pull a good size crowd down South.

In terms of the venue the thing I am always interested in is whether you can actually see something.

I guess as long as there is a raised stage then it should be OK.

In terms of deliciously grubby venues,I saw Lee Rocker and Daryl Higham at the San Francisco Bathhouse in Wellington,which quite frankly I would call a dive.

It is small.It could badly do with a lick of paint.I was completely taken aback to see touring bands from offshore playing somewhere so dingy.