Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Bluesfest App Options
InternalWorld
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 9:32:01 AM
Groups: Member

Hi there

I wanna know how many people want a smartphone app for bluesfest this year. If you want to have an android or iphone app like or comment and put suggestions for what you want to see in it there as well.

Kindly,

Ross
Kowalksi
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 11:21:53 AM

Really the main things I would see as needed would be artist info, timetable that you can customize for the sets you want to see (plus perhaps an alarm that lets you know 15 min or so before the artist comes on. Maybe also artist signing times too.
With Other festival Apps I have found that I just used the timetable and artist info and the rest of it was kind of useless. Having said that, I suppose a link to local weather forecasts might be handy.
johnlo
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:46:10 PM

A way to keep my smart phone charged over 3 days when camping.
spacejunky
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 11:28:08 PM

Yeah bluesfest admin...do you guys have charging stations?
Kowalksi
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:17:53 AM

Some of the tents near the food area have them - I think a local Byron radio station has a stall there that offer recharges for a few dollars.
alickweber
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 2:30:23 AM

Sounds like a great idea! I'd be keen. I agree that a customisable personal playing schedule would be ace, with colour coded stages etc. Artist info would be good too. Perhaps also a camera function with twitter / facebook integration so you can post pics as you go? Finally, maybe asking too much, but a festival map that uses the GPS to show where you are so that festival goers can easily navigate to the next stage / food tent / exit etc?
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 2:49:44 AM

Why the hell isn't Raucous Reg firing up over this thread?
Do your homework early, this isn't a Wednesday at work, it's the apex of your flam'en year if not your life
Save your battery, stop the police and CIA from tracing you footsteps, don't give those sniffer dogs any warning of your approach,
use your eyes to see that there a chair in front of your path - TURN YOUR PHONE OFF and enjoy the NOW

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 9:03:22 AM

At $299 for a 5 day ticket,you are paying peanuts so if you want all the xtra stuff,you need to be prepared to pay for it.
Yesterday's luxuries are today's necessities.
I do not own a mobile phone,a device which turns things that can wait into things which must be actioned immediately.
A GPS is handy when you are lost in the bush,but the simple compass will still perform the same function.
In regard to artists,this website,youtube and rhythms combined give the full picture well before the event.
It is a small festival so finding your way around is not hard.
The tents and stalls are always in the same place,so first timers can use Thursday night to imprint it in their brains.
I do not normally use a watch,but generally bring one for Bluesfest for time purposes.
The little card handed out each day clearly lays out the artists,tents and times.
There is only a max of eight artists per day,and most punters will have decided where half those spots are going to be filled pre day,so it doesn't leave much for the mind to debate.
We presently have companies promoting accounting software on the basis that you can receive your data and work on it when you are walking down a city street.
Not much good if you are serving behind the counter,driving a digger,out on the building site or harvesting your crop.
It can always wait until you get home.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
waffles
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:24:08 PM

GPS???really??
i have a better idea..maybe each tent should have a sign saying which tent it is. they do? what a great idea.
and a magazine or flyer with a map showing where each tent is. they do? what a great idea.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
timcook123
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 7:43:46 AM

I like the idea of a customizable Timetable but a highlighter is sweet for that!!

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
richo
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 2:05:29 PM

I'm guessing the original poster is asking as a developer looking to build a complementary or unofficial app for Bluesfest?

Beyond an easy-to-use timetable that you can select which bands you want to see and it reminds you when/where you have to be there's not much an app needs to do.

Personally, my phone goes dead just about every day at festivals from trying to meet with friends ("Where are you?"... "I'm at Crossroads, front left pole"... "OK I'm there, where are you?"... "Bar. Meet at Mojo in 10".. "Grab me a beer. I'm back left at Mojo where are you?" "Same. I can't see you?"........) so I don't really need an app to make it go dead that little bit quicker. The printed timetable does the scheduling job just fine.

Then again I'm a Gen-Yer who works in digital marketing so maybe that's the wrong answer to give...
Kowalksi
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 5:04:05 PM

Just an idea- maybe some people can use an iPhone for help planning their day, maybe some should use a printed timetable, and maybe some should keep it in their heads. And maybe some folk may want to use their iPhones to tell the time, while others could use a wrist watch, and others can just strike up conversation with other punters and ask the time, or perhaps maybe some can check the sun's position in the sky.
Why people get upset that some want to use technology is beyond me. Live and let live!
greybeard
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 5:34:40 PM

There are I Phones ~Unlocked and possibly UNBRANDED in two posts going for $300
Please be advised I have placed one on my "Wish List" if anyone's interested
If you believe hard enough, you'll also pick one up for yourself for FREE

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
mpember
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 11:27:01 PM

For the last couple of years, I have created a Google Calendar for each stage. This has made it very easy to download the calendar into any compatible smart phone. The only issues are handling schedule changes.

Perhaps BF would be so nice as to have an official one that is maintained by the people in the know. By having each stage as a different calendar, most phones will display them in different colours.
colinsid
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 8:04:19 AM

I am of two minds on this one, my eyes are starting to go so I can't read the paper timetable as easily as I used to.
I also now have a smart phone that I am using more of the functions on & found a timetable/program for a recent film festival most useful. However I don't usually take a phone to the festival (I go with friends but we usually seperate once inside & only meet at the end of the night) it annoys me & I find it distracting to see they turn out the venue lights but the place is still lit by people playing with phone screens.
jjmcmast
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 3:37:57 PM

The Queenscliff Music Festival had a free downloadable app for last November's event.

It allowed us to see what was on, select the events that we wanted to see and work out a schedule.

We could view by performer or venue.

I'd recommend something like this to any festival organiser.