Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Stay Safe Options
spanner1
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 11:56:00 PM
Groups: Member

hey bluesfesters- hope you are all well and safe living in regional Queensland, Brissy and northern NSW with the massive storms and flooding happening at present. I am doing community recovery work here in Brissy and there is a whole lot of heartache happening for a lot of people. Thinking of all who are affected and hope that as a like minded community on this forum that we can all dig deep to assist those in most need at this terribly stressful time. Hey Peter how has the site fared as I have seen Lismore and Murwillimbah being evacuated. Best wishes to all who have been affected.
yours in bluesin' spanner
cutercomputer
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:35:34 AM

Yes best wishes from Christchurch to any of you guys who are affected by this, or the wildfires of recent weeks.

As you all know we've had our own grief here from natural disasters which has given us an empathy with others who go through similar ordeals. ESPECIALLY our Aussie, brothers and sisters...

“Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable.”
Samuel Johnson
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:00:44 AM

100kph winds ripped a 60 foot tuckaroo tree out of the ground,and im hoping it doesnt smash the house. luckily it headed south away from home.
rain and winds finished on the north coast,but still flood warnings.

please disregard my signature
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
kodex3
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:49:53 AM

What a lovely signature waffles... Don't think it should be disregarded. Very meaningful at this time... Although many have lost... Most of which would have been just 'stuff'... 'The rivers gonna rise, Wash our struggles away' & today is a brand new day.. Oh how relevant :)
regards
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:15:17 AM

Good luck to evryone dealing with this.

Its cold down in Melbourne today, but still no rain.

Mother nature is bloody weird, I know in some area of Vic and NSW an hour or 2 of rain would be a godsend, to put out some of the fires.
katieforfree
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:28:26 PM

Cut off in our small village island. No power for 24 hours and water pressure failing.
otis
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:50:50 AM
Groups: Administration

Hope everyone is okay and safe - glad to report that the site wasn't badly damaged outside of a few trees being blown over.
littlewillie
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 11:15:49 AM

A quick update from Bundy.
Have been cleaning up with the mud army for the last 3 days but my back tells me it needs a day off today. The clean up started in North Bundy yesterday and while the rest of town has been hit hard north bundy is another level of bad. There are still blocks in certain streets that are too dangerous to go into because of the unstable land and buildings. The houses that we went into were the lucky ones. The water had been through and and ruined ALL their possessions but at least the houses seemed to be intact. Stage one is to get the house empty , so the house is stripped and everything is taken and dumped on the roadside for the council to collect later. These people were evacuated in a hurry so almost everything was left behind . There's countless cars sitting in driveways or in front of houses covered in mud, and everethings starting to go putrid.
In the block we were working in one house is balanced precariously . There is a washout under about one third of the house and about a dozen house stumps are dangling in mid air. Looking across into the next street I could see 3 houses that had totally collapsed into massive holes. I guess the holes are washouts from the extreme force of the water which was measured at 70kph. There is so much damage it is mind numbing. There are many hundreds of houses affected. Can't see the water , sewerage, or power being available for a while yet so the cleanup will take a very long time.

Credit must go to the emergency services crews in helicopters and boats and the many locals in boats for managing to evacuate everyone in time. How no-one died during this disaster is truly a miracle.
Stay safe people and look after each other.
waffles
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:28:29 PM

little willie,good luck with it. feeling for you.i hope insurance helps out.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 3:31:15 PM

Hope I'm right in my reading, little W. You escaped the worst and are volunteering helping out others ?
There should be a brief recognition at Bluesfest for volunteer firies, emergency services and mud army
You've earned a coldie.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
littlewillie
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 4:46:09 PM

Thanks guys, we're fine.

It's going to be a long recovery for a lot of people though.

from the paper today:

Before residents and the "mud army" began the cleanup , the Urban Search and Rescue team assessed a total of 3670 flood damaged houses in Bundaberg and found -

38 houses totally unliveable or gone

356 houses severely damaged

784 medium damage

spanner1
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 6:54:35 PM

hey willie I am on my way up to assist with Community Recovery team from brissy. Been watching the amazing new tent city going up in the show grounds. Stay strong and best wishes to all in your recovery. Would like to catch up with you and any other bluesfesters whilst there.