Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

THE WHO-BRISBANE Options
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:26:43 PM
Groups: Member

as someone that pushed for THE WHO for bluesfest,im now glad that didnt happen.last nights brisbane sellout concert could not have been possible in a shortened set. this was one of the best rock concerts ive seen.THE TWO ,backed by pino palladino on bass,pet townsends brother simon on guitar,zac starkey(ringos son)on drums and rabbit bundnick on keyboards showed that age has not wearied them. they played some of the best of their huge catalogue of hits. i saw them in 2004 in sydney and this concert was twice as good . its a long time since ive seen a band have so much fun on stage. townsend showed what a great rock guitarist he still is
and daltrys voice was strong and clear. they were loving the sellout audience and vice versa. coupled with an incredible full stage video screen that was scripted to
every song they played,it made for a great rock concert,and a piece of rock history.
if you have tickets to THE WHO anywhere else on this tour,enjoy every minute-i did.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
HowlinBindog
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:59:54 PM
Groups: Guest

Woh

That sounds great Waffles

Thanks for the review
jaaaaa
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 1:32:47 PM

Thanks for the review - especially as it sounds like such a great night.

Don't you just love these really really talented older performers who don't see why they have to give up their "day jobs" as performers just because they aren't young or shiny & new and not the flavour of the marketeers this month.

There's been quite a few recently & the reviews of nearly every gig by an older established act have been really really good.

Keep it coming!!
arbee0
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 1:57:49 PM

Yeah, it sure was a great show eh Waffles
The mic twirling and windmill guitar were still there and from where I was sitting down the back, Daltrey didn't look or sound much different to what he did in the 60's - likewise Townshend if somewhat balder and greyer
I thought the young Starkey was great - dare I say a much better drummer than his old man ever was
And the bass shook any calcification out of the bones so I'm now fit and ready to dance up a storm at Bluesfest!
But surprisingly it was far from a sellout - there were plenty of vacant seats around me up the back and there was another 8 rows curtained off behind - they'd also curtained off those abysmal seats in the wings behind the stage (I had the great misfortune to be stuck there for Neil Young - never again!!)
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:50:53 PM

my 3rd row tickets certainly helped.so close i could hear pete swear(off mike)loved it!
have to wear my WHO tsirt to the fest

steveakers
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 10:32:15 PM

I started in Auckland and finished in Sydney. I saw five of the seven shows on this tour and I can honestly say these guys really enjoyed playing for their fans. No two shows were the same, even though the setlist only changed a little. If you didn't get a lump in your throat during "tea and theatre", you would have to be clinically dead. I was third row in Brisbane Waffles. Did you see the bloke in the endless wire boiler suit? He came out from the states for this tour. Worth the effort.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 3:01:21 PM

he was just behind us.we had a german with us who also follows them around the world.dedicated

kungfool
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 5:49:15 AM

What! You didn't see them at the Stadium in Feb 1968 where they were at their peak.
With Small Faces as support it was awesome.
2 feet of streamers, screamers, multiple Marshall stacks being held up by the roadies
on the revolving stage.
There was no drummer like Keith Moon.
I fail to see how the current Who, with half the original members can be
as good.
Would not they just be a covers band with 2 original members?
Wokstar
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 7:36:50 AM

Some of us must not be as old as you Kungfool to have the privilege of seeing the original Who with Moon & especially Entwhistle but it was great to see a couple of old rockers still pounding it rather than just puuting their cues in the rack - I wish there were more "covers" bands like that out there.

The nips are gettin' bigger!