Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

smoking Options
kungfool
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:38:01 PM
Groups: Member

Now with the new smoking laws of no smoking within 4 metres
of a public entrance does this mean smoking will be relegated to
a swamp or their enclosed car with windows rolled up.
There needs to be more policing of smoking in the packed tents
as it is dangerous and only time where some smart person
burnt by a cigarette will cause an activation of an insurance
policy.
fire462
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:08:51 PM

Wearing thongs on wet footpaths is dangerous too... make people sit in their cars with the windows up until the sun comes out..... and while I'm at it ban loud music, the last thing Bluesfest needs is an insurance claim for industrial deafness. Oh and ban people driving there by car because they spew out more carginogens every ten k's than 1,000,000 ciggies do!! aggghhh bugga it lets all have a real good time, play safe and just ban everything that someone else doesn't like.
mpember
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 12:04:03 AM

fire462 wrote:
Wearing thongs on wet footpaths is dangerous too...

I am sure that forcing someone to wear thongs against their will would fall foul of a law or two unless there is a good reason.

fire462 wrote:
Oh and ban people driving there by car because they spew out more carginogens every ten k's than 1,000,000 ciggies do!!

There are a number of laws governing where and when someone can drive their car. If a patron of BF wants to drive their car into a tent, then I suspect that BF security would have something to say about it.

fire462 wrote:
and while I'm at it ban loud music

I think you will find that noise pollution laws already exist.

If the only defense of a position is to make fun of the opposing view, then the argument has already been lost.
greybeard
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 7:29:09 AM

Here is my vote to make Tobacco products a confiscatable item, both for their health consequences and for the grubs behind their proliferation.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
colinsid
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 7:30:51 AM

[If the only defense of a position is to make fun of the opposing view, then the argument has already been lost.[/quote]

What wpuld be worse you could take it all too seriously.
greybeard
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 8:16:44 AM

Whats up collinsid, trouble trying to defend the indefensible?

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
bucetti1
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 10:08:15 AM

One of the few really unpleasant experiences I have had at Bluesfest was being told to get f....d by a young girl exhaling smoke onto my neck in the Mojo tent.

When they go low-we go high.
colinsid
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 10:10:44 AM

Nowhere in my statement did I defend it, just think it laughable to suggest people will be burnt, how many incidences of this type happened in all the years when smoking wasn't banned, even if at Red Devil which is much more crowded. I don't smoke but it is essentially an open air festival with the tents being roof only, no sides (I find it funny that OH&S legislation makes them put EXIT signs, like everybody is going to run to the sign rather than just out the open side of the tent.)
Just think this forum should be about Blues & Rock music, a lot of which was written under the influence of various drugs, alcohol or tobacco & were written in the spirit of freedom & rebellion, not in Nanny State conformity. Instead it's being taken over by members of the Temperence League (though i suspect if someone proposed banning alochol a lot of the members would sing a different tune.)
Maccain09
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 11:09:10 AM

I still don’t understand why there is not an injecting tent at the festival. It provides a safe place for injectors and also reduces the risk of accidental secondary injections. This has worked out well in recent Bulgarian festivals. Free needles and condoms should be available at all festivals including the ones they have at Wineries with the likes of Elton John and Lionel Richie etc.
bucetti1
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 11:21:17 AM

Where have you been?
Some of us have missed you.

When they go low-we go high.
timcook123
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 11:25:47 AM

colinsid wrote:
Nowhere in my statement did I defend it, just think it laughable to suggest people will be burnt, how many incidences of this type happened in all the years when smoking wasn't banned, even if at Red Devil which is much more crowded. I don't smoke but it is essentially an open air festival with the tents being roof only, no sides (I find it funny that OH&S legislation makes them put EXIT signs, like everybody is going to run to the sign rather than just out the open side of the tent.)
Just think this forum should be about Blues & Rock music, a lot of which was written under the influence of various drugs, alcohol or tobacco & were written in the spirit of freedom & rebellion, not in Nanny State conformity. Instead it's being taken over by members of the Temperence League (though i suspect if someone proposed banning alochol a lot of the members would sing a different tune.)

I Hear ya Col

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
mpember
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 11:59:18 AM

colinsid wrote:
(though i suspect if someone proposed banning alochol [sic] a lot of the members would sing a different tune.)

It is funny how people quickly compare smoking to alcohol. There are already laws that have been imposed to reduce the impact of one person's drinking on those around them. RSA and anti-social behavior laws for a start.

And if you try forcing those around you to drink just because you feel the urge, the police may frown on that.
Maccain09
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 11:59:19 AM

I was blocked for a while by “the man”

There are less and less smokers at the festival every year

A good way of making friends at BF is by carrying a lighter – some lighters get damaged in the rain etc – you can share a light and expect a free cigarette in return that can either be smoked or passed onto another stranger if approached.

Smoking is still a very social activity dating back 1,000’s of years.
greybeard
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 12:42:25 PM

Nowhere in my statement did I defend it, So you don't have a position, but make an aside about the posters, not the subject?
I don't smoke but it is essentially an open air festival with the tents being roof onlywith a smoker less than 30cm from you face, and another 40 smokers smoke wafting past befor it exits the tent it is intrusive, and a hazard to ones health regardless of the tent being without sides.
EXIT signs, Total irrelevancy.
Just think this forum should be about Blues & Rock music Don't open and respond to topics headed Smoking !
in the spirit of freedom & rebellion Yes FREEDOM to breath fresh unpolluted air, REBELLION against multi-national pushers, spin doctors, lobbyists and forum trolls.
not in Nanny State conformity a weasel phrase, used by lobbyists with no other options.
As a fall back position I'd support a smokers tent as Novocaine suggests.

mpember
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 2:07:35 PM

greybeard wrote:

If the individual is camping onsite, they have their own smoking tent. :)
waffles
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 2:44:24 PM

once again..
greybeard,i love your work!Applause

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
colinsid
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 3:45:25 PM

greybeard wrote:
Nowhere in my statement did I defend it, So you don't have a position, but make an aside about the posters, not the subject? My original statement was people taking it all too seriously, which has well & truly been proven. In the bit of this that you deleted in your reply actually explained my position & they were made not on the topic but on Kungfools statement, you may have thouht that because my reply was after your comment that I was talking about yours, but if you bothered to look at the times of both posts you will find mine was written at the same time as your reply, which was not posted when I started writing my comment
EXIT signs, Total irrelevancy. Why is it irrellevent, because you decided it was. It is related as it is to do with over the top OH&S, & trying to point out the absurdity of it, infortunatley I put "I find it funny" which often throws the humourless.

Just think this forum should be about Blues & Rock music Don't open and respond to topics headed Smoking ![/color]Yes Sir Mighty Lord of the Forum
in the spirit of freedom & rebellion Yes FREEDOM to breath fresh unpolluted air, REBELLION against multi-national pushers, spin doctors, lobbyists and forum trolls. Pot & Black on the last one.
not in Nanny State conformity a weasel phrase, used by lobbyists with no other options. I apologise for this one as you could not be a nanny after suggesting people put their kids into orphanages rather than take them to the festival. Actually your statement "a weasel phrase, used by lobbyists with no other options" is also used by lobbyists with no other options.
fire462
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 10:20:54 PM

colinsid wrote:
[

What wpuld be worse you could take it all too seriously.

At least someone gets my attempt at humour (with a touch of honesty) Anxious
fire462
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 10:27:17 PM

timcook123 wrote:
colinsid wrote:

I Hear ya Col

I'm hearing ya too Col
ScottM
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 11:49:41 PM

I think tents should be for smokers only - lest rain extinguish cigarettes unnecessarily.....

Non-smokers can enjoy the freedom of fresh air and open spaces with 2nd hand smoke contained within the tents.