Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

NOLA Jazzfest 2013 Options
davidmoses
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 5:47:54 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 106
Points: 205
Wow! (and the food's outstanding too)

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com

Billy Joel •Fleetwood Mac •Dave Matthews Band •Maroon 5 The Black Keys •John Mayer •Widespread Panic Daryl Hall and John Oates •Phoenix •B.B. King •Frank Ocean Earth, Wind & Fire •Willie Nelson & Family •Little Big Town George Benson •Jill Scott •Jimmy Cliff •Gipsy Kings Jeffrey Osborne •Patti Smith Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite •Band of Horses Gary Clark Jr. •Andrew Bird •Maze featuring Frankie Beverly Juan Luis Guerra y 440 •Los Lobos •The Little Willies •Kem Roy Ayers •Laura Bell Bundy •Dianne Reeves Stanley Clarke / George Duke Project •Charles Bradley
Wayne Shorter Quartet feat. Danilo Perez, John Patitucci and Brian Blade
Taj Mahal & The Real Thing Tuba Band •Calexico Eddie Palmieri Salsa Orchestra •Vashawn Mitchell Joshua Redman Quartet •Mutemath •Ana Popovic The Mavericks •Little Joe Y La Familia •Campbell Brothers Brushy One String of Jamaica •Jerry Douglas •Daryl Coley Magary Lord of Bahia-Brazil •Malê Debalê of Bahia-Brazil The Del McCoury Band with Preservation Hall Jazz Band Doc McKenzie & the Hi-Lites •Pokey LaFarge Salio from the Republic of Georgia •Robert Mirabal Martha Redbone •Bill Miller •Pura Fé •A Tribe Called Red Yellow Bird Indian Dancers •Stoney Creek Indian Dancers Oneida Longhouse Singers and Dancers Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue •Aaron Neville •Dr. John Allen Toussaint •Irma Thomas •Preservation Hall Jazz Band Pete Fountain •The Nevilles •Rebirth Brass Band •Galactic Ivan Neville’s Dumpstaphunk •Better Than Ezra The Meter Men with Page McConnell Kermit Ruffins & the Barbecue Swingers The 35th Anniversary Celebration of “One Mo’ Time!” Marc Broussard Chris Owens backed by Her Hot Rhythms Band Amanda Shaw & the Cute Guys •Papa Grows Funk Cowboy Mouth •Tab Benoit •Anders Osborne Theresa Andersson •Big Sam’s Funky Nation •Jon Cleary John Boutté •Sonny Landreth •The Dirty Dozen Brass Band Irvin Mayfield & the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra Jeremy Davenport •Davell Crawford •Terence Blanchard Deacon John •Rockin’ Dopsie Jr. & the Zydeco Twisters Donald Harrison •Henry Butler
Bonerama
Shamarr Allen & the Underdawgs •The Soul Rebels
Marcia Ball
Charmaine Neville Band Treme Brass Band’s Tribute to Uncle Lionel Batiste Ellis Marsalis •Nicholas Payton XXX George Porter, Jr. & Runnin' Pardners •Tucka John Mooney & Bluesiana BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet with special Guest Jo-El Sonnier Jonathon “Boogie” Long & the Blues Revolution Big Chief Monk Boudreaux & the Golden Eagles Mardi Gras Indians Walter “Wolfman” Washington & the Roadmasters Los Hombres Calientes feat. Bill Summers and Irvin Mayfield Glen David Andrews Terrance Simien with Special Guest Queen Ida Raw Oyster Cult •Hurray For The Riff Raff Meschiya Lake and the Little Big Horns •The Iguanas The Revivalists •Creole String Beans James Andrews & the Crescent City Allstars •Eric Lindell Dr. Michael White & the Original Liberty Jazz Band feat. Thais Clark Gal Holiday & the Honky Tonk Revue Leo Jackson & the Melody Clouds •Astral Project The Zion Harmonizers •Nathan & the Zydeco Cha Chas Val & Love Alive Mass Choir Gregg Stafford and the Jazz Hounds
cutercomputer
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 6:40:00 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/15/2009
Posts: 187
Points: -48,439
Location: New Zealand
davidmoses wrote:
Wow! (and the food's outstanding too)

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com

Billy Joel •Fleetwood Mac •Dave Matthews Band •Maroon 5 The Black Keys •John Mayer <snip>


Not bad but not as good as we gonna get at Easter in-my-humble-opinion :-)

“Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable.”
Samuel Johnson
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 7:54:11 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/19/2008
Posts: 3,859
Points: 9,360
Location: 46* South
Jazzfest clearly continues has the best line up of any festival in the world.
The fact that it is in the US does of course give it somewhat of an advantage over anywhere else in the world.
I'll get there one year.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
bucetti1
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 9:49:44 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/20/2011
Posts: 1,022
Points: 168
Any idea what ticket prices are?
Is it on at the same time every year?

When they go low-we go high.
regards
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 10:28:15 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2009
Posts: 605
Points: 728
bucetti1 wrote:
Any idea what ticket prices are?
Is it on at the same time every year?


Tickets at the gate are $65 a day. You can get them cheaper in advance, but you need friends in Nola to do that, to get the best price from the ticket office at the Superdome. $50 a day inc ticketbastard fee, is the best deal this year.= $350 for the whole event.

The festival is the last weekend of April.FRI,SAT,SUN and the first weekend of May.THU,FRI,SAT,SUN. Runs from about 11.30 to 7.30 each day, and then you stumble in to town and there are stacks of gigs/ shows going on all over the place.
regards
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 10:37:33 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2009
Posts: 605
Points: 728
They seemed to have conserved money on the big name acts this year, compared to Springsteen, Tom Petty and The Eagles etc last year. And other years.

The bulk of the big names this year dont do much for me, normaly there will be a few I will watch, if its not too packed at the main stage. But it is the smaller stages where you can find some absolute almost unknown gems.

I am lucky to have some fanatical music fan friends in the states and enjoy a beer or two with a couple of presenters on WWOZ and these guys tip us on to some great acts every year.
bucetti1
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 11:00:38 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/20/2011
Posts: 1,022
Points: 168
Many Thanks.

When they go low-we go high.
Sharleen7
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 5:43:58 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/20/2008
Posts: 79
Points: 369
Location: The Hacienda
I'm with you Regards - the big dollars are going for some choices that seem to be out of left field - Hall & Oates??? is this really what people like? (not to step on the toes of any big fans of theirs; I, too loved them back in the 80's... they were one of my guilty pleasures) but I must confess I'm a bit underwhelmed. We have already planned on being there this year and have quite a sweet spot booked for our stay as well, so I think we'll just enjoy the smaller stages and the nighttime gigs! No pressure! Maybe we'll see you around, 'Gards. :-)

EXCESS in Moderation
regards
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 7:31:47 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2009
Posts: 605
Points: 728
Sharleen7 wrote:
I'm with you Regards - the big dollars are going for some choices that seem to be out of left field - Hall & Oates??? is this really what people like? (not to step on the toes of any big fans of theirs; I, too loved them back in the 80's... they were one of my guilty pleasures) but I must confess I'm a bit underwhelmed. We have already planned on being there this year and have quite a sweet spot booked for our stay as well, so I think we'll just enjoy the smaller stages and the nighttime gigs! No pressure! Maybe we'll see you around, 'Gards. :-)


No worries. I usualy plan to end up at the less packed night shows if any, because i cant be bothered some times, especialy if its been hot at the fairgrounds during the day, and you have allready seen 5 good bands or more and been over indulging

/ Will you be at Bluesfest this coming Easter?

Where you staying for Jazzfest? I luckily get a very good deal in the quarter as the condo owner likes me for some unknown reason. helped by the fact I take the place for 2 weeks. Which is fortunate as the realy good hotel deals we used to get years ago have not been happening as much recently
repete
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 8:50:40 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 1,010
Points: 3,075
Hey Gards and Sharleen - make sure you check out Fleur Debris.
Agreed that the BNA's are a bit ordinary this year (although Patti Smith and Calexico are great additions). But then it's a real opportunity to get lost in the magic of the local music at the smaller stages.
Wish I was going though....it only took 20 minutes to imagine my daily schedule....lol


Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:15:26 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2009
Posts: 605
Points: 728
repete wrote:
Hey Gards and Sharleen - make sure you check out Fleur Debris.
Agreed that the BNA's are a bit ordinary this year (although Patti Smith and Calexico are great additions). But then it's a real opportunity to get lost in the magic of the local music at the smaller stages.
Wish I was going though....it only took 20 minutes to imagine my daily schedule....lol


Hi Pete

There is a lot of good stuff as usual, and I am allready scanning the daily lists.

Fleur Debris sounds good. I saw Calexico do an instore at Roughtrade records with Lord Horror a few months back and that was cool.

Will you and Christy be at BluesFest.?
Sharleen7
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:19:13 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/20/2008
Posts: 79
Points: 369
Location: The Hacienda
We've booked a place in the Treme - it's a 2 bedroom apartment for about the same price as a hotel room! We found it on Air B'n'B. Just check out how gorgeous it looks!

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/205008

Can't wait to spend some more quality time in New Orleans, listening to music, dancing, watching the the many fine native dancers doing their thing as well as looking at the gorgeous arts and crafts on offer and eating! A local man told me the last time we were there, "People come here for the music, but they stay for the food!" Sorry to hear you're not gonna make it this year, Pete! We'll miss you and Christie!!! Hope to see you guys at Bluesfest!

Even if there aren't as many big names at the festival, on my second look I have found plenty to love in the line-up. Earth, Wind & Fire, Jimmy Cliff, Gipsy Kings, the combination of Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite sounds promising, the Little Willies, Dianne Reeves, Charles Bradley, Jerry Douglas, Del McCoury w/Preservation Hall Jazz Band (I got their CD a couple of years ago while in NOLA and just love that country/jazz combination!) and the New Orleans royalty of Dr. John, Allen Toussaint, the Nevilles, Irma Thomas, Marcia Ball, Deacon John, Dirty Dozen, Kermit Ruffins and the Meter Men! Also the 3 Johns - Jon Cleary, John Boutte and John Mooney. Not to mention Tab Benoit, Terrance Simien, Amanda Shaw, Henry Butler, Walter Wolfman Washington, Meschiya Lake, the Iguanas and Eric Lindell! It's looking like we'll be pretty busy after all! Drool Applause

I don't see Fleur Debris in the line-up - when are they playing? I haven't heard them before, but after checking into them it sounds like a winning super combo: Torkanowsky, Porter, Zigaboo & Payton! Wow!

We are starting a 6 week holiday at Bluesfest this year, after which we'll be flying over to the states to take in Nashville, the Juke Joint Festival in Clarksdale, MS, the Arkansas Folk Music Festival in Mountain View, both weekends of Jazzfest and ending up in Memphis for the Blues Music Awards! Woohoo! Exciting times ahead!

EXCESS in Moderation
bucetti1
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:30:53 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/20/2011
Posts: 1,022
Points: 168
Apartment looks seriously lavish.Well done

When they go low-we go high.
repete
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:39:49 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 1,010
Points: 3,075
Hi Pete

There is a lot of good stuff as usual, and I am allready scanning the daily lists.

Fleur Debris sounds good. I saw Calexico do an instore at Roughtrade records with Lord Horror a few months back and that was cool.

Will you and Christy be at BluesFest.?[/quote]

Unfortunately, no festivals this year :(( Bluesfest has a mind-boggling line up of BNA's but just can't make it. But will catch a few of the acts coming through Melbourne, including taking my 90 yo mum to see the Blind Boys, Sweet Honey in the Rock and Allen Toussaint...she's as excited as a teenager! Say hello to all the crew in NOLA and have a drink for us at the patry!

Sharleen....I saw Fleur Debris (love the name) in very fine print...maybe it's the first Saturday. The line up of Porter, Modeliste, Payton and Torkanowsky had me drooling - pure New Orleans jazzy funk. Of course, the Midnite Disturbers should be great with a line up of the hottest brass players in NOLA. BTW, it looks like Dr John will be appearing with an entirely new band...this will be one of their first shows. Give my regards (lol) to the city I love !!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
katieforfree
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:38:29 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/8/2009
Posts: 120
Points: 199
Location: Northern Rivers
You have a great holiday planed Sharleen. Went to Nashville, NOLA, Clarksdale and Memphis last year with a trip to smokey mountains thrown in. Have fun we sure did.
regards
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:47:16 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2009
Posts: 605
Points: 728
Sharleen7 wrote:
We've booked a place in the Treme - it's a 2 bedroom apartment for about the same price as a hotel room! We found it on Air B'n'B. Just check out how gorgeous it looks!

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/205008

Can't wait to spend some more quality time in New Orleans, listening to music, dancing, watching the the many fine native dancers doing their thing as well as looking at the gorgeous arts and crafts on offer and eating! A local man told me the last time we were there, "People come here for the music, but they stay for the food!" Sorry to hear you're not gonna make it this year, Pete! We'll miss you and Christie!!! Hope to see you guys at Bluesfest!

Even if there aren't as many big names at the festival, on my second look I have found plenty to love in the line-up. Earth, Wind & Fire, Jimmy Cliff, Gipsy Kings, the combination of Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite sounds promising, the Little Willies, Dianne Reeves, Charles Bradley, Jerry Douglas, Del McCoury w/Preservation Hall Jazz Band (I got their CD a couple of years ago while in NOLA and just love that country/jazz combination!) and the New Orleans royalty of Dr. John, Allen Toussaint, the Nevilles, Irma Thomas, Marcia Ball, Deacon John, Dirty Dozen, Kermit Ruffins and the Meter Men! Also the 3 Johns - Jon Cleary, John Boutte and John Mooney. Not to mention Tab Benoit, Terrance Simien, Amanda Shaw, Henry Butler, Walter Wolfman Washington, Meschiya Lake, the Iguanas and Eric Lindell! It's looking like we'll be pretty busy after all! Drool Applause

I don't see Fleur Debris in the line-up - when are they playing? I haven't heard them before, but after checking into them it sounds like a winning super combo: Torkanowsky, Porter, Zigaboo & Payton! Wow!

We are starting a 6 week holiday at Bluesfest this year, after which we'll be flying over to the states to take in Nashville, the Juke Joint Festival in Clarksdale, MS, the Arkansas Folk Music Festival in Mountain View, both weekends of Jazzfest and ending up in Memphis for the Blues Music Awards! Woohoo! Exciting times ahead!


Good Luck to you. Place looks fine and the Treme area is a lot safer than it used to be, probably due to more tourists going to the Hi Ho lounge etc sine the TV series started. Plus you can easily walk to the fairgrounds from there.

I am to dumb to show links here, otherwise I would show you my place in Chartres. Air B n B are good I have used them in Chicago before, plus the various other sites, like any of the other sites you need to be careful. I have not lost money but got bumped from one apartment when I had booked it and the owner then realised that were going to be 2 mid sized fests in town that weekend. I have other good and bad stories from friends, thats why it is handy if you can get good recomendations from people you know.
For Voodoo fest I was lucky to get an apartment from a friend of a friend on Saint Charles for a very good weekly price.

Sounds like you have a great 6 week Holiday coming up, taking in lots of good music, it will be great fun, I think i may know some others that will be in Clarksdale and I definitely know some people that will be in Memphis. I will let you know. One of them is a master of Blues knowledge.

As usual there will be lots to see and do in Nola, I am looking forward to greatly, I and i have only been back from there for about 10 weeks.

And maybe all the never ending road works, street car stuff that they are trying to have finished by the Superbowl, will be done by then. I wouldn't bet on it. They do call it Nola time. The quarter and surrounds were painfull in October, and half the street car lines were under repair. But I will have faith that they will throw heaps of money at this before the Super Bowl.

We should try and catch up for a drink at Bluesfest.

Take it easy




regards
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:54:24 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2009
Posts: 605
Points: 728
repete wrote:
Hi Pete

There is a lot of good stuff as usual, and I am allready scanning the daily lists.

Fleur Debris sounds good. I saw Calexico do an instore at Roughtrade records with Lord Horror a few months back and that was cool.

Will you and Christy be at BluesFest.?


Unfortunately, no festivals this year :(( Bluesfest has a mind-boggling line up of BNA's but just can't make it. But will catch a few of the acts coming through Melbourne, including taking my 90 yo mum to see the Blind Boys, Sweet Honey in the Rock and Allen Toussaint...she's as excited as a teenager! Say hello to all the crew in NOLA and have a drink for us at the patry!

Sharleen....I saw Fleur Debris (love the name) in very fine print...maybe it's the first Saturday. The line up of Porter, Modeliste, Payton and Torkanowsky had me drooling - pure New Orleans jazzy funk. Of course, the Midnite Disturbers should be great with a line up of the hottest brass players in NOLA. BTW, it looks like Dr John will be appearing with an entirely new band...this will be one of their first shows. Give my regards (lol) to the city I love !![/quote]

Hi Mate

Bummer you guys wont be at either fest, but life goes on. Economicaly I should not be doing what I am, I was just lucky to get some british pounds a while back, and am hoping to be a guest of the festival again this year in Nola.

We will have to try and catch up some where soon. I have not been going to many gigs as I have been trying no to spend too much. But we had great fun at Queensclif.

Tals soon
finleym
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 2:42:24 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/18/2008
Posts: 508
Points: 1,083
Location: East Coast
davidmoses wrote:
Wow! (and the food's outstanding too)

Widespread Panic

+

Charmaine Neville Band Treme Brass Band’s Tribute to Uncle Lionel Batiste Ellis Marsalis •Nicholas Payton XXX George Porter, Jr. & Runnin' Pardners •Tucka John Mooney & Bluesiana BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet with special Guest Jo-El Sonnier Jonathon “Boogie” Long & the Blues Revolution Big Chief Monk Boudreaux & the Golden Eagles Mardi Gras Indians Walter “Wolfman” Washington & the Roadmasters Los Hombres Calientes feat. Bill Summers and Irvin Mayfield Glen David Andrews Terrance Simien with Special Guest Queen Ida Raw Oyster Cult •Hurray For The Riff Raff Meschiya Lake and the Little Big Horns •The Iguanas The Revivalists •Creole String Beans James Andrews & the Crescent City Allstars •Eric Lindell Dr. Michael White & the Original Liberty Jazz Band feat. Thais Clark Gal Holiday & the Honky Tonk Revue Leo Jackson & the Melody Clouds •Astral Project The Zion Harmonizers •Nathan & the Zydeco Cha Chas Val & Love Alive Mass Choir Gregg Stafford and the Jazz Hounds


That is how I would spend my weekend.



Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
regards
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:21:01 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2009
Posts: 605
Points: 728
finleym wrote:
davidmoses wrote:
Wow! (and the food's outstanding too)

Widespread Panic

+

Charmaine Neville Band Treme Brass Band’s Tribute to Uncle Lionel Batiste Ellis Marsalis •Nicholas Payton XXX George Porter, Jr. & Runnin' Pardners •Tucka John Mooney & Bluesiana BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet with special Guest Jo-El Sonnier Jonathon “Boogie” Long & the Blues Revolution Big Chief Monk Boudreaux & the Golden Eagles Mardi Gras Indians Walter “Wolfman” Washington & the Roadmasters Los Hombres Calientes feat. Bill Summers and Irvin Mayfield Glen David Andrews Terrance Simien with Special Guest Queen Ida Raw Oyster Cult •Hurray For The Riff Raff Meschiya Lake and the Little Big Horns •The Iguanas The Revivalists •Creole String Beans James Andrews & the Crescent City Allstars •Eric Lindell Dr. Michael White & the Original Liberty Jazz Band feat. Thais Clark Gal Holiday & the Honky Tonk Revue Leo Jackson & the Melody Clouds •Astral Project The Zion Harmonizers •Nathan & the Zydeco Cha Chas Val & Love Alive Mass Choir Gregg Stafford and the Jazz Hounds


That is how I would spend my weekend.

Why only go for a weekend?

youngbill
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 8:07:30 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/26/2011
Posts: 231
Points: 632
Sharleen - I am available for adoption, do not eat much for my size and am house trained to a certain extent.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

SoClean Theme Created by Jaben Cargman (Tiny Gecko)
Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.8 (NET v2.0) - 3/29/2008
Copyright © 2003-2008 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
This page was generated in 0.192 seconds.