Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Woodford Review Options
spanner1
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 10:44:07 PM
Groups: Member

Spent a lovely day at Woodford Festival yesterday. It is an amazing amalgam of all ages and lifestyles. It is a truly beautiful setting on an old dairy farm with one of the best natural amphitheatres in oz. Highlights included starting the day with some vintage Shane Howard followed by a stellar set by JBT in front of several thousand dedicated fans who joined in singing along to the hits. Next spent a nice interlude in the Blues Bar being regaled by some great accoustic blues by Fiona Boyes and Ray Beadle. Fiona was in great voice and Ray showed yet again he is among the best this country has to offer.
Kate Miller Heidke enthralled one of the largest gatherings of the day and was truly impressive leaving the audience gasping for more. Her husband and guitarist Keir Nuttal provided much laughter later in the day as an alter ego Franky Walnut playing a fine guitar solo with thong. The evening was rounded out by amazing shows by Archie Roach with 20 piece orchestra and choir in the amphitheatre under the beautiful moon followed by the effervescent Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings who whipped the audience into a frenzy with her frenetic dancing and masterful musicianship. The street theatre and amazing lantern and laser light show through the forest canopy add to a magical atmosphere at night.
Dallas Frasca finished a long 12 hour day off nicely with a jolt of hard rock and blues in the Bluesbar finishing just after midnight with her usual crowd surfing in blow up toys. Dallas tore us all a new one waking me up in time for the drive home.
Light beers were $5 and heavies including TEDS and draft Guiness $7. There was a lot of good food on offer but probably a bit more alternative than Bluesfest offerings.
Now bring on Bluesfest
katieforfree
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 10:42:37 AM

Sounds like a great day out. I have been to Woodford a lot and always enjoyed it. I like the sound of the Archie Roach concert.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 10:22:58 AM
Groups: Administration

Best Woodford EVER - in my estimation.
I could just gush on an on - it is truly my favourite festival in the world - here's a few highlights - (yes, that includes Jazzfest).

Bustamento - rocked the house
Shaun Kirk - a truly hot new artist on the Blues scene
Grace Barbe and Tjupurro both rocked the Songlines indigenous stage during their sets - so did Shellie Morris.
There is SO much else ging on other than music - and the Folklorica tent was just fantastic - EVERY time I dropped by.
The Brazilian musicians playing in the Brazilian restaurant were brilliant - as was the Pineapple Lounge - put on by our good friends Brown Dog - who rocked the late night crowd
What a Woodford it was - Now I'm taking a short holiday - you really need one after such an event - inspiring AND tiring

I found the Blues tent had way too many artists who don't really play Blues - they are more in the Rock vein
That's my ONLY criticism - what an event.
Peter Noble
Bluesfest Director
Jetts247
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 7:14:30 PM

Lots of great names mentioned here ... any one would do Bluesfest 2013 proud. I'd especially like to see Archie Roach, Shellie Morris and Shane Howard.
mgwfall
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 7:20:22 PM

Shaun Kirk please. How can someone so young sing & play like that!!!
bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 3:46:00 AM

Thank you to all Woodford reviewers.
I have never been to Woodford and because of work am unlikely to get leave at that time of year.
I am enjoying reading about the acts and atmosphere.

When they go low-we go high.
regards
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 1:23:10 PM

The Woodford site is great, I have never been able to get there for the folk festival due to work ,related issues.

But was lucky enough to be involved with some stuff at the site when Splendour was there for the 2 occasions and thoroughly enjoyed it.

May be il make it next year, after I have paid off my Byron and JazzFest adventures.
katieforfree
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 3:19:42 PM

Woodford is indeed a great festival. My new place of employment is hard to get away from at that time but I went for many years before that and took the kids. We were joined by my husband at new year. Unless you have gone it is hard to get a grip on the vibe at the festival site. It turns into a true village and the food and sights and sounds all mingle overloading the senses. It's more than music , but I must say that bluesfest is the best. I go for the music and that alone.
Flegal08
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 10:38:27 AM

I always enjoyed our time at Woodford, but as with most things in life, choices have to be made and Bluesfest is ours. I do remember having great times in the tent village during and after the shows, although it is amazing how cold it could get during the night, especially waking up in just a pair of shorts after one too many drinks.

I believe the people make Woodford a special place and would return if other commitments allow.
Thylacoleo
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2013 8:31:42 AM

Still suffering from Woodford withdrawal symptoms. It was my first visit, went for a day and ended up staying for 5! I must admit i'm not totally in agreement with some of the politics and more extreme manifestations of neo hippydom but there was no denying the vibe. Anyway I can live with it for a few days for the sake of the music.

I watched so many great acts most of which I'd never heard of before just wandered around till i heard a sound that appealed to me.

Highlights for me were JBT on Saturday night, and a UK reggae/ska/grunge/punk outfit called Will and the People great dance music and a nice line in stage diving!
Have also developed an interest in Indian Music, i could never have imagined myself spending an hour watching someone play a Sitar but i did, twice!
I watched a Canadian folk/rock singer called Andy Brown terrific voice and great lyrics i can see him becoming popular in Oz before long.

All in all it was a terrific few days and a great musical education. Will definately be there for the whole 6 days next year.

Looking forward to Bluesfest, there are at least a dozen acts that I'd like to watch and thats just the the names i'm familiar with. Hope my volley duties dont clash with all of them.

By the way I know there are many fans of Hat Fitz here, they pulled out of Woodford due to a car accident. I don't have any further details.
greybeard
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2013 8:45:24 AM

Mr Fitz's website advise
Quote:
ALL SHOWS CANCELLED TILL
FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO MOTOR ACCIDENT
WE WILL BE BACK IN THE NEAR FUTURE
BIGGER AND BETTER

So I think all will be right, my best wishes to Hat and Cara and their circle

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Sharleen7
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 9:04:04 AM

This from their facebook page on 16 December:

Quote:
Hey friends and peeps Hat Fitz Cara had to cancel Woodford fest and all our january gigs as Cara has been in a car accident she is okay but neck injuries and bruised ribs doc says out for at least 10 weeks Wish you guys a merry Christmas cheers Hat & Cara

and an update on 29 December:

Quote:
Thank you everyone for all your kind words will pass them on to Hat Fitz Cara Cheers She is on a slow recovery no full sight in her left eye as yet all the best and wish you a happy new year Hat & Cara

Here's wishing a speedy recovery for the lovely Cara!

We went to Woodford for 3 days this year and had a wonderful time as always with the added bonus of nice weather. Our musical highlights were Bustamento, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, Rory McLeod, Fiona Boyes & Ray Beadle, Coojee Timm's Cabbage Tree Creek Slappers, Shane Howard, Flamenco Fire, Bobby Alu and bringing in the new year with Band of Frequencies! Best food was the salmon salad and corn fritters at Gilles Place - yum! There are always so many creative and outlandish people in residence and roaming around, you can't help but have a great time!

EXCESS in Moderation
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 2:09:39 PM
Groups: Administration

Cara is recovering from the car accident - I am advised she has been told not to perform dor 10 weeks.
fitzy was not involved in the accident
Bboard Admin
Marie5
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 7:38:18 PM

Cara
get well soon - hope u are in a cool place (41 where we are)
see u and fitz at easter

happy trails

paddle faster I hear banjo music .........
bluesmaaty
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:17:06 AM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
I could just gush on an on - it is truly my favourite festival in the world - here's a few highlights - (yes, that includes Jazzfest).

Grace Barbe and Tjupurro both rocked the Songlines indigenous stage during their sets - so did Shellie Morris.
There is SO much else ging on other than music - and the Folklorica tent was just fantastic - EVERY time I dropped by.
The Brazilian musicians playing in the Brazilian restaurant were brilliant - as was the Pineapple Lounge - put on by our good friends Brown Dog - who rocked the late night crowd
What a Woodford it was - Now I'm taking a short holiday - you really need one after such an event - inspiring AND tiring

I found the Blues tent had way too many artists who don't really play Blues - they are more in the Rock vein
Peter Noble
Bluesfest Director

Aah, so that's a little of what inspires you and drives you to keep getting better, bluesfestadmin...
Being fairly new to music festivals - time or money or neither being available at the right time for my 1st 1/2 century, sigh - means I had been looking for the best for a long time. I settled on Bluesfest at Byron Bay 2011 as the one to aim for and this year's will be my 3rd.
The 1st year I did wonder if I was just a little overwhelmed after all that anticipation, but no, Bluesfest IS that good!

The friends who have come with me agree and I haven't met anyone anywhere who has said anything negative of substance re how you do things. I have had a little bit of experience in organizing much smaller events and, as gushed previously, have been utterly astounded at ALL aspects of your wonderful festival. As unbelievable as it sounds, I have found myself actually thinking that any of the music after day 2 is a bonus - the value has already been had!
(Yes, we're Early Birds, so the value is even better, but that means the drive to Adelaide, early-booked accomm, flights, car plus meals, etc don't count us out).

But you say Woodford is your favorite festival in the world. A piece of high acclaim indeed... and having just looked up Shaun Kirk (love YouTube) I can see how you would be inspired - he alone would make a day there worthwhile.

I won't keep gushing. Suffice to say I am going to work harder so maybe some year soon both Bluesfest and Woodford will be marked on the calendar.
Thanks for all you do. Enjoy the little time out you have as I'm sure it's not only Woodford that is tiring for you.

PS: 'Scuse my ignorance - which Jazzfest is it you referred to - N.O., Montreal, Montreaux (Sad news re Claude Nobs), or one of the hundreds of smaller Jazz festivals globally? Aiming for a bigger trip in a few years, so a recommendation would be appreciated.
bluesmaaty
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:28:17 AM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
Cara is recovering from the car accident - I am advised she has been told not to perform dor 10 weeks.
fitzy was not involved in the accident
Bboard Admin

Thanks for the update - loved them before at Bluesfest and was looking forward to another dose of their feel-good music this year. Hope Cara will be fine to play and sing by then but, if not, that she can still come along and have a good time.
There's going to be plenty to enjoy!
regards
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 1:03:40 PM

bluesmaaty wrote:
bluesfestadmin wrote:

Peter Noble
Bluesfest Director

Aah, so that's a little of what inspires you and drives you to keep getting better, bluesfestadmin...
Being fairly new to music festivals - time or money or neither being available at the right time for my 1st 1/2 century, sigh - means I had been looking for the best for a long time. I settled on Bluesfest at Byron Bay 2011 as the one to aim for and this year's will be my 3rd.
The 1st year I did wonder if I was just a little overwhelmed after all that anticipation, but no, Bluesfest IS that good!

The friends who have come with me agree and I haven't met anyone anywhere who has said anything negative of substance re how you do things. I have had a little bit of experience in organizing much smaller events and, as gushed previously, have been utterly astounded at ALL aspects of your wonderful festival. As unbelievable as it sounds, I have found myself actually thinking that any of the music after day 2 is a bonus - the value has already been had!
(Yes, we're Early Birds, so the value is even better, but that means the drive to Adelaide, early-booked accomm, flights, car plus meals, etc don't count us out).

But you say Woodford is your favorite festival in the world. A piece of high acclaim indeed... and having just looked up Shaun Kirk (love YouTube) I can see how you would be inspired - he alone would make a day there worthwhile.

I won't keep gushing. Suffice to say I am going to work harder so maybe some year soon both Bluesfest and Woodford will be marked on the calendar.
Thanks for all you do. Enjoy the little time out you have as I'm sure it's not only Woodford that is tiring for you.

PS: 'Scuse my ignorance - which Jazzfest is it you referred to - N.O., Montreal, Montreaux (Sad news re Claude Nobs), or one of the hundreds of smaller Jazz festivals globally? Aiming for a bigger trip in a few years, so a recommendation would be appreciated.

JazzFest would be the generic term for the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. I am fairly sure of that.
They release their line up, this coming Thursday. Which as usual will be very diverse.
I can strongly recommend this festival, and it costs about 50 bucks a day, plus 5 bucks to ticket bastard. It goes from roughly 11.30 to 7.15 each day. And there are stacks of gigs around town each night, you just have to try and keep your act together, to get to some of these, and I struggle some times, to pace myself.
The traditional Bloody Mary each morning at Liuzzas by the track, sets me up well.
Its a good town with lots to keep you entertained on the Daze Between, as we call them. IE The Monday, Tuesday,Wednesday between the 2 weekends of the festival, which goes for 7 days in total. This year will be my 6th or 7th JazzFest and they have all been great fun. As is the town itself at the other times of year I have been there. Our fellow poster Repete has been a few times as well. Feel free to let us know if you want any other information.