Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

New Byron Mayor Options
zyfert
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 5:06:14 AM
Groups: Member

Looking through some news report this morning, this particular line caught my attention:

But the plan to host up to eight festivals a year - including the Byron Bay Writers' Festival - with camping, parking, music and up to 3000 visitors a day was a bigger bone of contention.

''As soon as you have music, you have the potential for antisocial behaviour,'' Mr Richardson said.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/beachfront-chicks-stall-byron-resort-plans-20121129-2airi.html
bucetti1
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 5:38:06 AM

Oh Dear.

When they go low-we go high.
greybeard
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 6:52:10 AM

I'm cool with the report, he is talking about a proposal for a new site, it would be the THIRD in the Council area, don't see (from down here) that it is any threat to Bluesfest.
Little chance of getting me there outside Easter and Bluesfest.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 8:10:03 AM

with the results of the study on koalas at the bluesfest site coming up fairly good,i think bluesfest is safe.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Maccain09
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 8:30:03 AM

''As soon as you have music, you have the potential for antisocial behaviour,'' Mr Richardson said.

I agree this behaviour is normally perpetuated by the unwelcome presence of police dog squads.
greybeard
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 8:32:10 AM

I probably should also say that I would support any actions needed to safeguard such a beautiful and rare red-beaked pied oystercatcher or the natural environment in general

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
BC1987
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 10:20:03 AM

as long as bluesfest stays i couldn't care less what this new mayor wants to do with byron.

personally i think splender attracts a very anti social crowd but thats just my personal opinion & i wouldn't care if they got rid of that one.

what i want in byron is a mini bluesfest type event over 2 days that runs from 4pm on new years eve & all day new years day which should be held at the bluesfest site. i think this would be great for the byron shire as it would give us something great instead of the usual boring fireworks...
a man can dream i guess.
later
Jaylee1
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 1:57:47 PM

How about one day "Day on the Green' type events at the Tyagarah site

JT
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 2:50:18 PM

yeah BF ADMIN, I am up the road in Brisso and would be keen to attend events of various nature at the BF site...
music events in partic'...

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
katieforfree
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 3:02:14 PM

Looks like this one is worse than the last one. I have been to a few of those writers festivals and they have had music there and boy did people have a good time. Who is this bloke? I will have to check him out. I did not follow the Byron election this year. Time for a few letters to be written.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 4:09:37 PM
Groups: Administration

Simon Richardson - is our new Byron mayor - and a member of the Greens - he seems to us to be the type of mayor Byron has long been waiting for.
He IS pro environment - and he is pro Green values - however, he is NOT - a Green anarchist - which is how I would describe Byron's last mayor.
He IS a music lover - and won't be swayed by Byron's lunatic fringe on the far right AND left in their attempts to shut down Bluesfest in our opinion.

He has rightfully stood up for a critically endangered species in this instance of which it is estimated there are less than 100 of the species left in the world - and we support and congratulate him in doing that.

I think we will find Bluesfest has his support - as long as we continue to be a responsible presenter of our festival
Thanks
Bboard Admin

greybeard
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 5:26:11 AM

Byron Bay turns its nose up at KFC

KFC sniffs an opportunity for its fried chicken in Byron Bay, the town that famously fought off its golden arch rival McDonald's in the 1990s.

It confirmed plans to set up a franchise in the coastal resort town - alongside Baskin-Robbins, Domino's Pizza, Hogsbreath Cafe and Subway, which have sprung up in the 15 years since residents took to the streets over McDonald's french fries.

''Byron Bay has grown rapidly in the last decade, and we would certainly like to be part of what is now a vibrant commercial centre that features many major chains and retailers,'' a KFC spokesman said.

It intends to discuss its plans with Byron Shire Council before lodging a development application for the new store.
Advertisement

But a Greens councillor, Duncan Dey, was so disbelieving he had thought the restaurant plan was a hoax.

Mayor Simon Richardson, who has asked for the meeting on Friday, wants KFC to walk away from Byron with the message that despite appearances, the town still didn't want multinationals in its shire - particularly fast food's ''big three''.

''If some suggest that we're dying a death of a thousand cuts it doesn't mean that we're not going to resist those cuts,'' he said, adding Byron's rejection of McDonald's was ''now part of our folklore''. ''We do have some of these chains but we still don't have the more gratuitous multinational icons or symbols, which a fast food place is.''

At stake, opponents fear, is the town's unique character. ''If [tourism] starts to be jeopardised, even by a small percentage of a $400 million a year industry, it would dwarf any economic benefits that a KFC would bring to us,'' Cr Richardson said.

He said Byron's landowners had a ''huge role to play'' in the area's rush of franchises as few smaller businesses could afford Byron's soaring rents.

Plans for a Dan Murphys at a site owned by a Gold Coast developer were recently rejected.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/byron-bay-turns-its-nose-up-at-kfc-20121205-2avud.html#ixzz2ECuPF2r4