great ones i have recently found at b/fest
Wilson Pickers / Lil Fi

some stars from last year
Round Mountain Girls /Melbourne Ska Orchestra

my request after first hearing her
Karise Eden

peter nobles recommendation
grey ghost.

just a thought. if i only went to see acts i knew or have heard of i would have missed out on

xavier rudd (the first year he played at 1pm in jambayla)
the avett bros
carney (also played at 1pm)
the great big sea
trombone shorty ( a few years ago)
fishbone (just stumbled upon them)
yodelice (still havent been able to get a cd)

I could go on & on ........

everyone please take a few words of advice from an old chook. take time to check out someone you havent seen (even for a couple of songs)
thats the best part of the fest. finding the new ones..

paddle faster I hear banjo music ...................
BC1987
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:11:14 PM
Groups: Member

its good to see someone on here advocating this point to check out artists you don't know.

every year i look online (youtube) to see what each artist announced is like... if clips are available of course.

on average i see 32 artists at bluesfest & i am currently planning to see maybe 4 or 5 i've seen before next year so the majority will be new to me & a few names included are new discoveries most noted grace potter... what a great female performer.

i think for me the main locals i am excited for are the beards who will be something & karise eden... sure she got her start from a tv show, but at bluesfest she will be performing not to long after or before her debut release of original material comes out & i am sure a lot of people will get into her once this cd comes out.

the cat empire & xavier rudd are good repeats as i can go elsewhere.

i think 2013 will be a very hard timetable to work through... though i spend 4 weeks each year working through the schedule once times are released anyway.

we are 5 announcements in & they keep getting better, thanks bluesfest as i felt 2012 wasn't such a big year but you have come back with a definite resurgance.
rexrose
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:49:19 PM

BC1987

Thats the great thing about music. One mans poison is anothers treasure.
I see you didn't think much of 2012 but I thought it was great.
Still I think this year is looking the best I can remember. Me thinks I may need a dart board.
I know I'll definitely be checking out Karise Eden. I think anyone how dismisses any artist because of their appearance on some TV show is showing their prejudices.
These days any exposure is good exposure and to get a chance to work with some old heads must be great.
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:23:53 AM

Marie5's post is on the right track, this American news story from the Music Bible Allium Cepa shows how seeing vintage acts can back-fire

Quote:
Stadium Humors Old Man On Stage, Sings Along to 'Hey Jude'

October 27, 2012

PHILADELPHIA—Not wanting to be rude or hurt the man’s feelings, the thousands assembled at Lincoln Financial Field on Saturday good-naturedly humored a 70-year-old performer who requested they sing along to “Hey Jude,” a song he had written. “I felt bad for the poor guy—he’d been up on stage a really long time, so I figured the least I could was sing a few ‘na-na-nas’ for him,” said 37-year-old attendee Kevin Walker, who admitted it was “really hard” to watch the musician stand up from the piano, hold his microphone out toward the audience, and listen expectantly. “Fifteen times through the chorus was a bit much, but he seemed to get a kick out of it, so no harm done.” Crowd member Brenda Carlton also cheered along complacently, saying, “I’m always looking for ways to teach my kids the value of being polite and, above all, patient.”

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:04:09 AM

marie5,just a side note...lil fi appearing next blues fest is a great sign that youre only as young as you feel(old chook-spring chicken)
lil fi appeared at the 2nd east coast blues festival. shes still going strong.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
timcook123
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:27:44 AM

every year I come home with a hadful of new favourite bands!!

I love it

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:36:30 AM

Too true.
I discovered Eric Bibb,Xavier Rudd,Eric Sardinas amongst others at Bluesfest.

When they go low-we go high.
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:59:50 AM

Absolutely in support of this.
This is my 12th BF coming up (not in a row, first was 1992) and every year I have left saying I had a find, often many.
Secret Sisters a couple of years ago?
On their own and the beautiful stuff with Elvis Costello?
But much magic is to be found earlier in the day and on the smaller stages, it's the reason I go.
But Paul Simon, well, to see Kodachrome and some others of his live will be a big tick off my all time list.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
Maccain09
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:26:50 PM

JOSH WHITE JNR. BRING HIM BACK
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:56:03 PM

I totally agree about looking up new acts.. Isn't is great to discover a new band you've enever even heard of. Great Big Sea turned out to be one of the highlights of last year and the year before it was Yodelice. Plus a bunch of other acts. I have the added advantage of going with my 2 sons. I drag them along to my old favourites and they in turn then drag me along to theirs. Last year my youngest dragged me along to Matt McHugh. I thought to myself "what do you want to see him for !!!!!" but tagged along anyway. What an absolutely brilliant show. I loved every miniute of it. Such a good act that I would have missed had it not been for him. They dragged me along to Wolfmother the year before. Never had even the slightest desire whatsoever to attend a Wolfmother concert but shit, what a concert !!!! So we feed off each other. I open their eyes, they open my eyes. Great system.
The other thing that I really enjoy are those early shows. The tents are not full and everything just seems so much more relaxed. Last year we started each day with an excellent concert Mason Rack Band, Keb Mo, Matt McHugh, Great Big Sea. What a way to start each day. Each concert just seemed to set the mood for the day. Great start each day, great end each night.
Someone else said earlier on this thread that they go through Youtube looking at live acts to see what the acts are like that they haven't heard of before. I do the same thing as I'm sure most others do. One thing I wash that Bluesfest would do is to put only "live" clips on their artists section. Whilst studio clips are fine they are completely manufactured. To watch the acts performing live is to really see them for what they are and what to expect. Take Grace Potter for example. There is not the slightest doubt as to what to expect. But that's just me being fussy.
repete
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:23:20 PM

waffles wrote:
marie5,just a side note...lil fi appearing next blues fest is a great sign that youre only as young as you feel(old chook-spring chicken)
lil fi appeared at the 2nd east coast blues festival. shes still going strong.

I remember L'il Fi and her band of conspirators blowing the walls out of the old juke joint some years ago. The sax players jumped up on the bar and blasted the punters from the side whilst Fi and band were letting it rip up front. She's a must see !

Hangin' out on Frenchmen