Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Bruce? Slight chance? Options
Kowalksi
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 4:39:50 PM
Groups: Member

So apparently, according to fasterlouder.com there are rumours of Springsteen playing Hanging Rock around March. Though there's a boss rumour every other day, maybe there is a chance of a bluesfest slot. Wishful thinking perhaps...
Here's the link:
http://fasterlouder.com.au/news/local/34304/Bruce-Springsteen-to-play-Hanging-Rock-in-2013
ScottM
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 4:57:59 PM

Can't hurt to wish, but unless the fest cooks the books or decides for some reason to take a loss, I can't see how it is financially feasible, given what's come on announcements previous.
Braddles79
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 5:57:13 PM

The Hanging Rock thing was touted for Easter Weekend so I'm guessing that would rule out Bluesfest.
bucetti1
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 6:47:11 PM

Dear ScottM,
why would the festival need to cook the books or take a financial loss? I personally would not presume to know the financial status of the board.maybe they are loaded beyond belief.I do not know.

When they go low-we go high.
greybeard
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 7:10:51 PM

I'm with Scott
*The festival is likely to sell out from reports
**Admin would not want to upset me with yet another irreconcilable major clash
*** It would seem that by the time any tour is announced for around Easter the Adult American Music market for Aus. would have been saturated as never before.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
midfielder
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 7:14:49 PM

Lets hope he comes...
ScottM
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 9:43:02 PM

bucetti1 wrote:
Dear ScottM,
why would the festival need to cook the books or take a financial loss? I personally would not presume to know the financial status of the board.maybe they are loaded beyond belief.I do not know.

It would comfortably exceed the artist budget of any previous Bluesfest to add Bruce to the existing lineup at this stage - of course that is only an opinion....I don't think it is mathematically possible to cover that cost whilst maintaining a profit. When you stack Santana, Plant, Simon, Harper, Iggy, Isaak, Raitt, and all the rest, adding a guy that could sell out football stadiums in this country doesn't seem to make "dollars and sense" for any promoter. I'd be as surprised as I would be overjoyed if the Boss's name is in any of the remaining announcements.
colinsid
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:17:04 AM

Hopefully if not doing Bluesfest he will be doing dates, other than Easter, in Sydney or Canberra where I live (not much hope on the later)

If Bruce where to play Bluesfest then he, the band & equipment are already in the country, which is the big expense in bringing him out, so he would notcost as much as people presume. He does do festivals, he played one in Norway (I think was the country) last year that had similar daily audience figures to BF but lesser artists, the other major headliner was DMB who played a different night. Someone also mentioned that he did Jazzfest at the last minute last year after someone pulled out. The problem is where he would fit in the schedule as he would have to play last & be given at least a 3hr slot, there don't seem to be that sort of place in the schedule.

The reason Bruce or any other artists do stadiums is not necessarily because they want to but they have to, because of audience sizes, otherwise they would have to do too many smaller shows in these cities. This means more concerts & longer tours. You do a stadium gig with 60,000 or 4 arena shows at 15000 each, when you talk about a doing say even a twenty city tour that means twenty stadium or 80 arena concerts. It is not just money because long tours can take there toll on bands.

I am amazed at how many people think they know how much artists cost. In most cases I don't have a clue so don't pretend to know. I trust Bluesfest to do all of the accounting. I do know they can vary for any number of reasons though. I did hear how much a certain bearded Texan 3some cost a few years ago & was surprised by the amount, sworn to secrecy & respect Bluesfest to repeat it here though.
youngbill
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:42:12 PM

Is hanging rock the earth saving hand holding (no offence to those with hands) thingy being organised by chip monck?

So does that mean I'm going to miss Bruce, plus at a stretch Midnight Oil, plus another longer stretch Painters & Dockers (as Paul Stewart announced it)?
regards
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:53:49 PM

youngbill wrote:
Is hanging rock the earth saving hand holding (no offence to those with hands) thingy being organised by chip monck?

So does that mean I'm going to miss Bruce, plus at a stretch Midnight Oil, plus another longer stretch Painters & Dockers (as Paul Stewart announced it)?

No. Hanging Rock is promoted by Frontier, who I believe will be bringing out Bruce, unless there has been a dramatic change since last friday.

They had Rod Stewart there last year and laughing Lenny Cohen the year before, both shows were sold out and blessed with fine weather.

If Frontier are indeed the promoter of the Bruce tour, that would make it highly unlikely that he will front at Bluesfest
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:51:04 AM

Thanks.