Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Eddie Bo RIP Options
repete
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:30:27 AM
Groups: Member

Oh no no no no.....this wonderful man has passed away. I have just found out......Many people talked of James Brown as the pioneer of funk, but no way. He refined the form, but the true originators came out of the tradition of New Orleans r 'n b. From Professor Longhair to Eddie Bo to Papa Funk (Art Neville). Small in stature, Eddie Bo was a giant and a huge influence, sampled repeatedly by hip hop and rap artists. I was so privileged to see his one and only Australian show last year at the Corner Hotel and was looking forward to renew acquaintances in a few weeks time. His influence will live on for decades. Within a matter of a few weeks, two of the greats of New Orleans music have gone - Snooks Eaglin and now Eddie Bo. RIP wonderful man.......

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
pnoble
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 1:52:42 PM
Groups: Administration

I don't think I ever heard anybody ever say a bad word about Eddie Bo.
In his own rather quiet dignified way, he radiated ''class''.
Although not reaching the heights of New Orleans music to the level of say Proffesor Longhair, James Booker, Huey ' Piano' Smith, Fats Domino or Dr John in the long line of great Nawlin's Piano Players - from a town that has produced THE GREATEST piano players in the history of R&B, Eddie was a seminal New Orleans
piano man and recording artist.
His late 50's hit "Check Mr popeye" from the Popeye dance craze of the time, is one of the great songs of New Orleans R&B music, and he wrote the classics "who Shot The La La" for which Oliver Morgan got the hit, as well as "I'm Wise", which Little Richard converted into the classic "Slippin' & Slidin".
Eddie had the late afternoon residency at Jimmy Buffet's club Margaritaville in Nawlin's during the 90's, when he returned to New Orleans after a long absence and retirement of around 15 years from the music business. I spent quite a lot of time in New Orleans at that time, recording Marva Wright, Terrance Simien, Bo Dollis
& the Wild Magnolias and others. I met with Eddie with a view to record him on my record label - AIM, and although we were both interested in getting his recording career going again - he had not had a release at the time for 20 years, we both did not follow up our meetings and sadly, I did not get to be the label to bring Eddie back into the recording studio again.
As well as playing the early evening slot at Margaritaville, he was running his own health food store at the time - Then in his mid 60's Eddie was a very fit, tall, lean man, and I thought, although I'm not positive, that he was devout, and followed the Muslim religion.
Eddie died, apparently quickly, at the age of 79.
There will be a gaping hole on the performance stage at this years Jazzfest where he was booked to perform - sadly the ranks are thinning, for so many legends of Louisianan music - an era is ending.
vale Eddie Bo
Peter Noble
Festival director
Bluesfest

repete
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:46:34 PM
Groups: Member

Thanks for the story Peter.

This is not a great photo (phone), but this was Eddie with the Bamboos and some girls who hopped up on stage at the Corner last year. He loved performing! I was right down the front and there was a rather buxom girl dancing like a banshee just in front of me. Eddie stopped mid-song, giggled, turned and said to the band "will you have a look at that", then turned to the girl and said with a broad grin on his face "miss, I have a heart condition, if you keep dancing like that I'm gonna end up in hospital"

Sadly, he died of a massive heart attack....Marcia Ball, who has played at fest a couple of times, loved him dearly and will be grieving badly. There's gonna be another huge second line soon in New Orleans to celebrate his life and achievements.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen