Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

1998 RL Burnside Options
jafa99
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:01:53 PM
Groups: Member

RL Burnside played at the 1998 festival. I wasn't there but I saw the show on his side trip to Auckland. I am wondering who else was in the band. I am pretty sure it was Cedric Burnside on drums - correct? Who else was in the band?

Bob
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:50:03 PM

cant remember the band-or much else. i do remember it was inside a crowded steamy juke joint.they played till they pulled the plug. great night-great memory.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:18:03 PM

Did you see that grandson Cody ( brother of Cedric)passed away two weeks ago. Unknown cause at the time R I P

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
oldbilly1
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:05:08 PM

jafa99 wrote:
RL Burnside played at the 1998 festival. I wasn't there but I saw the show on his side trip to Auckland. I am wondering who else was in the band. I am pretty sure it was Cedric Burnside on drums - correct? Who else was in the band?

Bob

Definite to Cedric, I`m guessing Kenny too. One of the best BF gigs ever. The shack was rockin...
repete
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:31:51 PM

I missed the show too, but I would have to agree with oldbilly that it was probably Kenny Brown on guitar. I saw Kenny team up with Bobby Rush at the Ponderosa Stomp in New Orleans some years ago - great show.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
johnnymac
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:53:03 AM

Hi Bob,

Yep, Kenny Brown and Cedric Burnside played the Powerstation concert.
I was at it but didn't know you back then!!!!
I understand that RL played NZ twice???? The second one really going under the radar for me.
A mate says he played BDO but I can't recall that.

His Auckland concert was how I found out about Bluesfest, by chatting to a guy at the concert.............99 was my First Bluesfest, been ever since.
I have got the new Kenny Brown CD.........a double album.........one CD electric, one acoustic.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 3:12:21 PM
Groups: Administration

I toured the Blues Legends of The Mississippi Delta tour in around 2002
RL was part of it - along with Big Jack Johnson, Frank Frost, Sam Carr, Lonnie Pitchford and others.

I travelled to Clarksdale MNississippi at the time- where I found Jim O'Neill living - the founder of Living Blues magazine - and we went out and got the best players in the area - packaged them up and toured them - to my knowledge RL had not toured away from the Hill Country of Mississippi up to that time - except for maybe one show in New York - he had no record label them - and was not 'discovered' for a number of years by the wider blues world.
I had Blues promoters from al over the US as well as worldwide contacting me afterwards asking how to contact these artists - most of who, were pretty easy to find if one really wanted to.
Sadly, I never kept a copy of the poster for that tour - and would love to get one - or a copy of one if any REAL fans have one.
PLEASE contact me if you do

The band arrived in Sydney - and went to their hotel - and starting drinking moonshine whisky immediately on their arrival.
It was a VERY interesting tour - and a great one.
It was one of the most impoertant Blues tours to EVER come to Australia in my opinion - no matter what Bruce Elder from the Sydney Morning Herald wrote at the timehe outright dissed them - and called them no-bodies - he has been eating his words ever since.
The tour played THE BIG EAST COAST CITIES of AUSTRALIA - plus Byron Bay and Cairns - and did the biz everywhere

Does anyone have more info about it ?
And as RL used to say - Well, Well Well
He is sorely missed - and yes it was Cedric and Kenny on later tours
regards
Peter Noble
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 3:46:07 PM

Sorry - on recollection - it was around 1992 I did this tour
Peter Noble
spanner1
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:40:12 PM

Peter- I went to this show with my dad in Brisbane at the old Waterloo Hotel. It was bloody brilliant and a rare treat to see such Delta legends.There was a great aussie warm up act who I vaguely remember was Mal Eastic band
I think I might still have the tour t-shirt which might take some locating. 1992 sounds about right or possibly earlier as the sound engineer sold me a bootleg cassette of Mal which I remember on selling to several punters at the gig.
Thanks again for reminding me of this great show you put together. I think I still have the bootleg tape that the sound engineer gave to me.
jafa99
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 3:59:30 PM

Thanks guys. That looks right about the lineup and it looks like their 1998 tour took them to France too. As seen on French TV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7PdxdXzskU
jafa99
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2012 6:23:37 PM

johnnymac wrote:
Hi Bob,

Yep, Kenny Brown and Cedric Burnside played the Powerstation concert.
I was at it but didn't know you back then!!!!

Yeah, nah we weren't on the BF bulletin board in 1998. You wouldn't even remember me when I say that my girlfriend and I were the only ones dancing at one point. I felt self-conscious (well, not much) but the rhythm was too good not to be dancing.

Did you see Robert Cray there about 4 nights later? Opening act The Producers from the UK.

Going to the Black Keys tomorrow?
johnnymac
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 12:33:54 PM

Hey Bob,

Was at the Cray concert as well. Didn't get to the Black Keys. I had tickets to go to see them in Newcastle a few weeks back as I was meant to be in Australia, but we had a family death so cancelled out of the trip.

On the vein of Clarksdale, watched two DVD's...M for Mississippi and We Juke Up in Here, back to back last night.
Excellent viewing and great raw blues....................they feature Reds Lounge, Clarksdale in both which I was lucky enough to visit on my Blues Trail trip a couple of years back.

I can remember going to a concert at the Mon Desir Hotel in Auckland about 1992 which had a line up of about four bluesmen, one of whom I think was Junior Wells (you would think that I would remember that or not!!!!! Old age has its drawbacks.).
Can anyone shine any light on this????

bluesfestadmin
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 3:47:10 PM

I did a number of shows at the Mon - on Auckland's North shore around that time - what a great place to do shows.

This included the Wailers - now known as The Original Wailers - athough they had a LOT more original Wailers in the band back then
Junior Wells - possibly Dr Feelgood - John Mayall - Canned Heat - Buddy Guy - it's a little hard to remember which ones were there - and which ones were at that great pub in Ponsonby at the top of the hill- which also closed and which has been a great loss for Auckland's live venues- I do remember doing Toots & The Maytals there - Screaming Jay Hawkins - and loads more - so this post is a good jogging of my memory for 20 years back.
Any one remember more - alas I did not keep the posters - I just kept touring bands - so I have little details to check back on
Peter Noble
Festival Director
Bluesfest
johnnymac
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 4:56:44 PM

Thanks Peter, glad that I wasn't imagining Junior! Agree, the Mon was a great venue. Went to The Wailers concert and saw Bob Hite fronting Canned Heat and remember seeing Buddy around this time but can't bring to mind a John Mayall tour outside of his 72 tour.
The other venue you are thinking off is what is commonly known as the Gluepot at Three Lamps which had excellent local and international acts.
Saw Lucinda there, also George Thorgood and Tuck and Patti amongst numerous others.
Also saw Albert Collins about this time as well, at the Auckland Town Hall which was a memorable performance.
jafa99
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 7:35:07 PM

"Peter Noble Entertainment Productions Pty Ltd presents direct from the U.S.A. the little Giant of the Blues Junior Wells with The Chicago Blues AllStars (8 piece band featuring The Southside Horns). Tues Dec 17th [1991] Gluepot, Auckland N.Z."
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 7:50:52 PM

Hey Jafa,
Is there a list of artist who played the Gluey - or the Mon somewhere ?
Regards
Peter Noble
jafa99
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 7:56:34 PM

Not that I know of, but I can give you all the Australia dates and venues for Junior's 1991 tour. Check the email address you have registered with your forum account, Peter, because I have emailed you personally.

Bob
jafa99
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 8:03:59 PM

Peter. My email bounced back. It looks like you need to update the email address for your account. Looks like it is your old web developer's email address. Let me know when you've updated the address - or post your email addr here.

Bob
johnnymac
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 7:11:38 AM

Nice work Jafa...........I will see what I can rustle up from a few hard core Gluepot regulars.
youngbill
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 7:57:49 AM

I do recall some, and very likely not others............

Junior Wells - Selinas around that time, a very late start mid week then had a break about midnight, after taking in the first half of the show I opted to hit the train home and not wait till dawn for the next. Sad to say he didn't do it for me that night. Sorry folks I just call it as I see it.

John Mayall with Coco Montoya, Belmont 16 Footers, Coco was great.

A slew of others at the Palais in Newcastle all within a few years. The Palais was the last remaining beer barn in the area with a capacity of about 2000. It is now the site of what I believe is the largest KFC in the country or something like that. Progress!
Buddy Guy - my mate was a bit slow on his feet and he got whacked with Buddy's guitar. Very good Buddy that night.
Albert King - a religious experience for me, so I have no memory of it. At the time two friends of mine were recently married so I bought them 2 tickets to Albert as their wedding gift - what a guy I am! I'm sure one of them enjoyed it!
Fabulous Thunderbirds - Jimmie's last Aus tour with the band
Screaming Jay Hawkins - no comment
Lonnie Mack
The Wailers

The master of the Telecaster Mr Albert Collins at Newcastle Workers.
I was between engagements mostly at that point in time so occasionally watched some daytime tv. One day I'm trying to fill the void of time and switched on the midday show and there he was in all his glory. Fantastic.

Johnny Copeland, Fannys. A craphole of a nightclub all sane folk avoid like the plague but for some reason this fine gentleman was booked to play there, lovely.