Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

NO SEOUL SINGERS ...........p l e a s e !! Options
ianandhelena
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:23:31 AM
Groups: Member

Maccain09 wrote:
Radiohead did form in 1985 but the first single didn't get released till 1992 which is when the wider world will have become aware of them. Adele, like her or not, is a great talent with a good voice. In your earlier sweeping generalisation you also lumped in acts like Oasis, Blur, Robbie Williams, Kate Rusby, Eliza Carthy, Goldie, Roni Size as being unworthy of your approval. I'm glad that this forum has the benefit of your musical expertise otherwise the rest of us wouldn't know good music from bad.

Cheers - Oasis / let's face it every single song sounds the exact same / they may have had 2 good rock albums - two complete and utter tossers, Blur an oasis cover act led by some guy that believes he is uber talented, Robbie Williams first hit was a cover of a wham song before that he was in boyzone, no idea about the rest of them Goldie and Ronnie Size? I remeber Goldie was in coronation street, him and Roni Size are both basically computer program's that would be amazing "live" : plug iMac into speaker press play, smoke a fag. Both known to sell their shows collect the money and then they cancel. As for the 2 ladies at the risk of sounding sexist I don't really listen to female artists apart from the more asexual types like sinead and goldies ex that nutter from Iceland etc, women tend to sing about being in love with men and going to the club etc, I try to avoid that stuff, I like the original English acts that challenged listeners like the Kinks 10cc and the Beegees. Since then all these bands out of England look like mighty boosh extras trying to sound like a cross between blur and oasis.

[/quote]
er.... Robbie Williams wasn't in Boyzone, he was in Take That....maybe you should stick to safer ground. Whatever that is...

Goldie was in Coronation Street? What on earth are you talking about??
ianandhelena
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:30:21 AM

Maccain09 wrote:
I agree no more English acts either - post 1990 they all sound the exact same. All look the same and all write terrible terrible songs. Its the worst breeding ground for music outside of NZ.

You are a racist, a sexist and a bigot. "That nutter from Iceland", as you disparagingly refer to her, is called Bjork, who, like her or not, is a performance artist who does what she does for her own enjoyment and that of others.
I am surprised that the forum moderator tolerates your comments.
bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:15:58 AM

I must confess. I do like reading Maccain09's posts.

When they go low-we go high.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:31:01 AM

ive heard nothing but great reports on radioheads recent aust. concerts.your view of english music was possibly the biggest generalisation ive seen in a long time but it was from maccain09.

oh maccain youve done it again!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:41:20 AM

Just to cover myself.I enjoy reading but not always agreeing with mccain09.

greybeard
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:04:37 AM

ianandhelena wrote:

You are a racist, a sexist and a bigot.
I am surprised that the forum moderator tolerates your comments.

I&H you're giving Novacain too much reward
He is a stirrer and any thing he writes is crafted for a response
He is a performer who, like him or not, is a performance ( B.S.) artist who does what he does for his own enjoyment and that of others.
Chill-out, either enjoy or ignore / avoid, and if you must, contact the Admin, your attack seemed unreasonable to me on a fellow (Bluesfest) family member
and an attempt at artistic censorship . Keep the forum vibrant not bland

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:17:39 AM

Dear Greybeard,
Beautifully put.

timcook123
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:39:40 AM

Ahhh Maccain you've done it again!!

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:47:51 AM

I particularly love the way Mccain09 can incorporate Alan Jones in his posts.ANYBODY who can do that makes them required reading in my opinion.

Space5279
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:39:15 AM

eileenk9 wrote:

The Nutbush and The Macarena anyone?

Still rolled out at every wedding no?

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
Maccain09
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:20:58 AM

Racist??? that’s a first! is this because I find English music past 1990 lazy? I don’t mind, call me what you will. John Laws once called me a “young whippersnapper” when I jumped the queue in the Barossa valley and pinched the last bottle of a lovely merlot that he had his eyes on.

I think Radiohead are a great band (formed ’85) uplifting in a depressing kind of way.

Think of all the great bands that came out of England in the 60’s and 70’s then the music died over there, I just find 99.99% of English music since the 90’s to be pointless / soulless / and lacking in any depth, the artists all mimic the icons of the 70’s no originality at all. Bluesfest continually give us the Icons example: we had the modern Ian Brown ( a man talking into a bucket most people stayed for 2 songs and walked away disappointed) followed by Ray Davies – a man twice his age ten times the talent and one hundred times his stage presence, one of the best live acts ever to grace a bluesfest stage he blew the roof off the crossroads like no one else ever has.

Madness (poms) will be one of my must see acts. Nowadays the British acts lyrics keep getting worse, and they about as varied as a compilation of Jet tunes. Some of the artists initially showed great potential – Oasis and Pulp for instance they made the money then lost what set them apart from the pack (total laziness). As for Goldie he has as much talent as a brown paper bag, saw him once couldn’t tell the difference between him and the other Laptop act before or after him.

I am really excited about Damien Dempsey, saw him in the mojo back in 2008 it was a shame he didn’t have more time as soon as the crowd started he is certainly original in a trad sense, I recommend you have a look at him. (a real songwriter)

I will admit that normally I will turn the radio off if I hear modern women’s pop singing. I don’t think it should be supported. The days of artists like Karen Carpenter where a woman relies on her talent not selling sex are long gone. Sinead O Connell shaved her head and sang from the heart. These modern pop acts will run around in their bras (inc pink) reciting songs written by consortiums. This is a damning reflection on the music industry that churns out such rubbish. It’s up to the public to change this trend.

I enjoyed Mavis Staples and look forward to seeing her again she was a highlight in “08 for me she gave it everything she had!

Bjork – I said that I like her music (I think), This looks like the work of a nutcase to me. ….. performance art ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3mJTdGE79I
bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:28:14 AM

How can you not love Mccain09's posts.Incorporating Laws this time.
Just fantastic.

harveykeitel
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:34:37 AM

as entertaining as Maccain is, he has "some" valid points........

Offerings from the UK currently are Newton Faulkner (playing to backpackers on Oxford st last year), Ed Sheeran (sings about Lego), Florence the Machine (granddaddy being deputy editor of the telegraph opens doors obviously - Stevie Nicks impersonator), etc. Altho I don't think '90s was as bad from the UK, the last 12yrs has been horrendous for any lyric ingenuity or originality.

I won't get started on my views on Damon Albarn or Thom Yorke, as I understand my opinions are very strong and not in line with public (record companies) perceptions on these gents. For another laugh on artists working on "side projects" check out Tired Pony and explain to me the differences to Snow Patrol??? A real project might be a little more like Mike Patton with 20+yrs experience moving from solid rock to Mondo Cane (50s-60s Italian pop classics with a full orchestra)
Maccain09
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:18:26 PM

Monkey opera? That to me sums up all that’s wrong with music. Who’d pay to see that (not under the influence of lsd)

I remember David Byrne and fatboyslim took too many pills and did a musical on Imelda Marcus. Byrne is entitled to do this stuff he earned his stripes changing music back in the 70’s. Alban has done nothing original from what I can see. At the time in England there were 1000 bands just like blur they just had more record company clout.

Gorillas I don’t get it. Pointless songs performed by cartoon characters I have trouble relating.

Oasis side projects Beady Eye and Flying birds sound just like you guessed it….. Oasis.

Goldie was in east enders / coronation st what’s the difference, he can’t act either. He played a gangster – what a stretch… Like the time Eminem played Eminem or 50 cent played 50 cent…

I saw that bob Dylan movie where cate blanchett played bob Dylan – made as much sense as the monkey opera…

Take that – what’s the difference between them and boyzone or right said fred or human nature I can’t tell, inane pop drivel – pointless tripe..
Fred Nile was right when he said pop music is the work of the devil!

timcook123
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:44:20 PM

Maccain09 wrote:
Monkey opera? That to me sums up all that’s wrong with music. Who’d pay to see that (not under the influence of lsd)

I remember David Byrne and fatboyslim took too many pills and did a musical on Imelda Marcus. Byrne is entitled to do this stuff he earned his stripes changing music back in the 70’s. Alban has done nothing original from what I can see. At the time in England there were 1000 bands just like blur they just had more record company clout.

Gorillas I don’t get it. Pointless songs performed by cartoon characters I have trouble relating.

Oasis side projects Beady Eye and Flying birds sound just like you guessed it….. Oasis.

Goldie was in east enders / coronation st what’s the difference, he can’t act either. He played a gangster – what a stretch… Like the time Eminem played Eminem or 50 cent played 50 cent…

I saw that bob Dylan movie where cate blanchett played bob Dylan – made as much sense as the monkey opera…

Take that – what’s the difference between them and boyzone or right said fred or human nature I can’t tell, inane pop drivel – pointless tripe..
Fred Nile was right when he said pop music is the work of the devil!

I'm Not There (the Dylan movie)

I liked it it was made to represent the many faces of Dylan.

the young troubadour one his way from a small country town trying to leave his past behind
the folk singer
the electric dylan of the mid 60s
the born again christian
the super star portayed as an actor riding high and drifting apart from his wife
and billy the kid the dylan who was just trying to live a normal life without fame

it does seem all over the place but the whole film is thought out

And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
Don't put on any airs

B. Dylan
Maccain09
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:59:15 PM

Sounds good in theory for sure Tim, can't argue with that , but don't understand blanchett being used she's a woman he's a man.

Now all we need is someone to explain the point to this whole monkey opera.... Seems like a stinking pile of poo to me! Total indulgence pisss take by some yuppie wannabe artsy type. We'll see an interview in 5 yrs when he's selling his gold records on eBay saying this monkey opera was one big f you to his "fans"
Space5279
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:27:25 PM

Maccain09 wrote:
but don't understand blanchett being used she's a woman he's a man.

You are a very perceptive man Maccain!!

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
Kowalksi
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:00:50 PM

Its an opera for the story of Monkey - Journey to the West (popularized in western culture as Monkey Magic). Maybe do a youtube search - might give you a better understanding than simply judging a book by its cover.
greybeard
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 6:45:17 AM

............................................So they were BIG in Japan............subliminal hint for Tom Waites

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
timcook123
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 7:13:24 AM

Maccain09 wrote:
Sounds good in theory for sure Tim, can't argue with that , but don't understand blanchett being used she's a woman he's a man.

Now all we need is someone to explain the point to this whole monkey opera.... Seems like a stinking pile of poo to me! Total indulgence pisss take by some yuppie wannabe artsy type. We'll see an interview in 5 yrs when he's selling his gold records on eBay saying this monkey opera was one big f you to his "fans"

yeah that is weird but she plays the part really good!

And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
Don't put on any airs

B. Dylan