Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

NO SEOUL SINGERS ...........p l e a s e !! Options
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:09:11 PM

Groups: Member

I know Bluesfest has expanded over the years
to be much more inclusive of other musical styles,
so I have struggled with my lack of enthusiasm for one musical form, wondered if I was just old and crotchety.
Well maybe I am but I can't contemplate a Bluesfest with any Seoul singers as part ,
it would probably be enough to sell my ticket.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:09:59 PM

Am I wrong

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
timcook123
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 1:59:38 PM

greybeard wrote:
Am I wrong

I thought South Korean Rapper wearing bowling shoes would be right up your alley Greybeard haha

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
eileenk9
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:28:12 AM

Apparently he's just arrived in Australia.

Run Greybeard run! Gangnam style is coming to get you!!

Angel
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:19:20 AM

eileenk9
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:36:35 AM

Applause
timcook123
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:36:46 AM

FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET!

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
Maccain09
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:25:27 PM

I agree no more English acts either - post 1990 they all sound the exact same. All look the same and all write terrible terrible songs. Its the worst breeding ground for music outside of NZ.
Space5279
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:15:16 PM

As Clive said on the Bo Duddley skit: "Erm, I think it can be truly said that the Americans have, er, their soul singers, and we English have ars-oul singers."

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:15:04 PM
Groups: Administration

And as Ronnie Hawkins said.
anyone who has seen Bo Diddley in the shower - KNOWS all men are not born equal
bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:18:29 PM

Taj mahal and Shuggie Otis at Bluesfest.What are the chances?

When they go low-we go high.
ianandhelena
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:25:41 PM

Maccain09 wrote:
I agree no more English acts either - post 1990 they all sound the exact same. All look the same and all write terrible terrible songs. Its the worst breeding ground for music outside of NZ.

Hahaha!
So for instance Radiohead and Adele look and sound the same?
Maccain09
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:49:32 PM

Radiohead formed in '85. No one will remember who Adele was in 18 months. She's the modern day Vanessa Carlton (who?) or that Korean guy above.
bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:54:30 PM

Wow- big call.

eileenk9
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:11:42 PM

Yep.. Psy and his silly song and dance should be a distant memory by next year...

The Nutbush and The Macarena anyone?

bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:14:32 PM

I was wowing about Adele being forgotten.Not the psy fella.

ianandhelena
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:43:03 PM

Maccain09 wrote:
Radiohead formed in '85. No one will remember who Adele was in 18 months. She's the modern day Vanessa Carlton (who?) or that Korean guy above.

Radiohead did form in 1985 but the first single didn't get released till 1992 which is when the wider world will have become aware of them. Adele, like her or not, is a great talent with a good voice. In your earlier sweeping generalisation you also lumped in acts like Oasis, Blur, Robbie Williams, Kate Rusby, Eliza Carthy, Goldie, Roni Size as being unworthy of your approval. I'm glad that this forum has the benefit of your musical expertise otherwise the rest of us wouldn't know good music from bad.
BC1987
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:55:38 PM

question... will anyone still remember psy in march when he is scheduled to "perform" at future music festival...

i highly doubt it myself.

at least he will still be famous in korea haha
later.
Maccain09
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:15:39 PM

Radiohead did form in 1985 but the first single didn't get released till 1992 which is when the wider world will have become aware of them. Adele, like her or not, is a great talent with a good voice. In your earlier sweeping generalisation you also lumped in acts like Oasis, Blur, Robbie Williams, Kate Rusby, Eliza Carthy, Goldie, Roni Size as being unworthy of your approval. I'm glad that this forum has the benefit of your musical expertise otherwise the rest of us wouldn't know good music from bad. [/quote]

Cheers - Oasis / let's face it every single song sounds the exact same / they may have had 2 good rock albums - two complete and utter tossers, Blur an oasis cover act led by some guy that believes he is uber talented, Robbie Williams first hit was a cover of a wham song before that he was in boyzone, no idea about the rest of them Goldie and Ronnie Size? I remeber Goldie was in coronation street, him and Roni Size are both basically computer program's that would be amazing "live" : plug iMac into speaker press play, smoke a fag. Both known to sell their shows collect the money and then they cancel. As for the 2 ladies at the risk of sounding sexist I don't really listen to female artists apart from the more asexual types like sinead and goldies ex that nutter from Iceland etc, women tend to sing about being in love with men and going to the club etc, I try to avoid that stuff, I like the original English acts that challenged listeners like the Kinks 10cc and the Beegees. Since then all these bands out of England look like mighty boosh extras trying to sound like a cross between blur and oasis.

Kowalksi
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:45:53 PM

Maccain09 wrote:
Radiohead did form in 1985 but the first single didn't get released till 1992 which is when the wider world will have become aware of them. Adele, like her or not, is a great talent with a good voice. In your earlier sweeping generalisation you also lumped in acts like Oasis, Blur, Robbie Williams, Kate Rusby, Eliza Carthy, Goldie, Roni Size as being unworthy of your approval. I'm glad that this forum has the benefit of your musical expertise otherwise the rest of us wouldn't know good music from bad.

Cheers - Oasis / let's face it every single song sounds the exact same / they may have had 2 good rock albums - two complete and utter tossers, Blur an oasis cover act led by some guy that believes he is uber talented, Robbie Williams first hit was a cover of a wham song before that he was in boyzone, no idea about the rest of them Goldie and Ronnie Size? I remeber Goldie was in coronation street, him and Roni Size are both basically computer program's that would be amazing "live" : plug iMac into speaker press play, smoke a fag. Both known to sell their shows collect the money and then they cancel. As for the 2 ladies at the risk of sounding sexist I don't really listen to female artists apart from the more asexual types like sinead and goldies ex that nutter from Iceland etc, women tend to sing about being in love with men and going to the club etc, I try to avoid that stuff, I like the original English acts that challenged listeners like the Kinks 10cc and the Beegees. Since then all these bands out of England look like mighty boosh extras trying to sound like a cross between blur and oasis.

[/quote]

An Oasis cover act? Anyone who has heard more than 1 song of both bands will see that Oasis and Blur are miles apart in terms of style. Oasis may not vary their style much, but Blur are quite the opposite. The lead singer of Blur is uber talented - perhaps you are not familiar with the breadth of Blur's work, or the music of Gorillaz , or the project 'The Good The Bad and the Queen', the work with Mali musos, or the 'Monkey' opera. All of which are showcases of real talent across a variety of musical fields.

Sorry to quibble, just my 2 cents. Each to their own, but an Oasis cover act? No idea where you are getting that...