Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

2008 ARIA Best Blues and Roots album Options
curlyloc
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 12:17:39 PM
Groups: Member

Anyone else disappointed with a) the winner, When the flood comes( The Audreys) and b) the quality of the other contenders: A book like this (Angus and Julia Stone), Half seas over (Jeff Lang), Struck Down (Mia Dyson), Sun Dirt Water (Waifs).

All listenable music but not sure 'must have' in the collection. Or maybe we gotta look overseas for these...

I actually interviewed backstage at the ARIAs for a website and methinks dance music and hip hop is taking over the country - just when I thought there was an uprising of blues music

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
richo
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 12:38:09 PM
Groups: Member

Must preface this by saying I didn't nor have I ever watched the ARIAs...

Were the ARIAs ever a reputable award that anyone took seriously? At any rate 'blues and roots' seems to be a bizarre non-genre which is neither blues, nor roots. I think about the time Bluesfest added 'roots' to its name so that they could more easily branch into other non-blues genres, people started mistaking anyone with an acoustic guitar as 'blues and roots' given that they were playing at a 'blues and roots' festival; through no fault of the festival it seems to have stuck.

That said, Jeff Lang's new album is definitely one of my picks of 2008... probably no harm in Mia Dyson being up for an award either.