Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

My first Bluesfest Options
Space5279
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 10:18:48 AM
Groups: Member

I am a Bluesfest virgin...so be gentle!!

I am so looking forward to Easter next year. Although I have been to Byron a couple of times, this is my first Bluesfest...I have abondoned the wife and kids for that weekend, have a 3 day pass (Fri-Sun), a 3 day camping pass and a VIP Lounge pass. As I have a mate in Byron, I will be arriving on the Thursday to stay with her (leaving open the possibility of buying a 1 day ticket for Thursday and maybe for the Monday as well as flight is not until Tues).

My question is this, do any of the artists do gigs, organised or impromptu, at any of the pubs in town across that time...the Railway and the Great Northern I guess would be the key venues?

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 12:27:32 PM

Occasionally, but typically any additional gigs from higher profile BF acts will fall outside the actual festival dates. Some of the earlier acts on smaller stages might end up in town.

Enjoy the first one - I had a 3 day pass in 2004 and it's been 5 day since. I'm sure you'll be the same.
pod2006
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:21:41 PM

in 2011, franti played at great nthn on wednesday night. and like scott m i initially purchased 3 day tix (for my kids). Of course the act they wanted to see was on the other day. I now find that by buying 5 days tix early if they can make 5 days fantastic, if for any reason they can't- so be it, as the early prices are so reasonable and allow choice.
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:22:44 AM

oh man, all this talk of the pub the night before, thinking of getting set up wednesday afternoon, i am getting the bf itch again... (separate from the itch i have every year after bf)...

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
steveakers
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 9:54:11 AM

Next time save your money on the V.I.P. pass and use it to buy a 5 day ticket instead. if you camp at the festival you can always go back to the camp for a break if you need it. The only advantage of the VIP pass is you get a nice dunny. The toilets and showers in the camp ground were third world this year, in previous years they were much better so hopefully they will pick up their game again next year. There will be good bands every night at the northern.
pathfinder
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 3:18:06 PM

couldn't agree more about the vip pass,nice toilets,but its a lot of money to pay for nice toilets,couldne see any other real advantage in the vip area.wont be getting vip passes this year.