Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Back for 2013 Options
johnnymac
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 11:50:25 AM
Groups: Member

To all the fellow music lovers I have meet and enjoyed the company of at Bluesfest over the past 13 years or via the forum.......

I am very pleased to say that I will be using the early Earlybird tickets I purchased at Bluesfest earlier this year and am now very excited about the soon to be announced line up.
This was in doubt when I was admitted to hospital after recently suffered a severe heart attack but after a quintuple bypass (5 arterial grafts) I am now back home and getting stronger every day and am confident it will not be too long before I enjoyng life to the full again or maybe even more so!!!!
My recovery has been aided by lots of music DVDs and rewatching both series of Treme several times...Thanks Rick!!!!

That first beer on Thursday at the Rails will feel real good next year.....My shout Coke Bloke!!!!
Might need to slow down on the hungarian snap fried bread and the sauerkraut sausages a bit but otherwise I'll be in my same spot each day in Jambalaya and Crossroads...............bring it on!!!

Cheers.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 12:14:28 PM

Welcome back John.
That means you will still be on the Blues Cruise next year.
Arthur Lydiard did not have the heart attack that killed him until he was 87.
It is scary considering you still look like a long distance runner.
You have convinced me to go bush hiking this afternoon.
What advice have you been given re diet and exercise.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
repete
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 12:44:52 PM

Strewth JM !! Recover well and get strong. It's great that you're up and posting and have got a plan....with a new set of arteries in place you'll be bouncing around the fest like one of those damn 18 yo's !!!
Seriously, look after yourself mate and rejoice in every new day.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
c0kebloke
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 4:06:00 AM

Ouch! I think i nearly had a heart attack just reading that.
Don't forget to keep in touch as far as your recovery go's johnnymac.
As for
johnnymac wrote:
That first beer on Thursday at the Rails will feel real good next year.....My shout Coke Bloke!!!!
Cheers.

OK this time i will let you "win" our annual lively debate "it's my shout","no it's my shout" . . .but only cause your an old aged pensioner with quintuple bypass Sick
As your unofficial dietician my advice would be to drink plenty of fluids . . .especially the amber veriety.Drool

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
timcook123
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 9:26:28 AM

Hope your recovery is quick man! All the best!

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 10:19:54 AM

J.M.
Glad your on the road to recovery, obey your doctors advice at least 85% of the time and we'll see you at Byron.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 5:48:19 PM
Groups: Administration

To You JM
Keep well - keep strong - live long - Kiwi Cuz.
peter Noble
Festival director
pod2006
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 8:04:41 PM

this thread alone is the secret to BF's longevity and culture.

Whilst I have not been able to be at the rails... yet, i feel if i walked in i would be amongst friends, so i repeat bfadmin's good wishes.
ScottM
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 8:40:34 PM

Here I was thinking that my return from the UK was a big effort, but I only had to get a plane (though braving Heathrow has to count for something....)

Regardless, always welcome news to hear of a fellow BBer overcoming adversity to rejoin the fold. Here's hoping that BF 2013 is a cracking fest for you John. And for all BFers for that matter.
acb
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 9:13:14 PM

What they said, JM. Hope to get to the Rails this year and catch up with the BB regulars.

Andrew
glenboss
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:47:25 PM

johnnymac, Although we've never met I still wish you a speedy and full recovery and hope you enjoy many Bluesfests inthe years to come. All the best Glen
johnnymac
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 1:18:48 PM

Hi All,

Thanks so much for everyone that has passed on their best wishes!!!!!

I am gluing myself together well, scars healing good and am starting to follow the exercise regime given me, albeit that I still feel I have been hit by a freight train when I move!!!!

Patrick, in regard to diet and exercise I have always been pretty concious of both ,and the over indulgence in red wine has probably helped... just need to knock back on the associated cheese a bit which has been my major sin!!
With excellent blood pressure and in the lower 3% of cholesterol my biggest issue has evidently been stress.....looks like I need to relax and party more....which will be bad news for the over zealous local sound police and my Bonamassa CDs!!!!!!!

Peter, congrates on the latest awards...................makes some of the local council look even more like that word that rhymes with anchor!!
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 5:49:23 PM

Hi John,

You do not come across as a stressed kind of person.
I conclude that if stress causes heart attacks then I am well overdue.
Your tranquil abode is located only 2.8km from your office,thus it is not the daily trip to work that is stressing you.
But as we know,being self employed into todays world is very stressful,especially so if you are a perfectionist.
Last time we holidayed in Auckland,we rented a house on the coast at Laingholm and I concluded that to drive into Central Auckland each day from there would be stressful.
But if you give up work,it also potentially causes problems.
A local sole practitioner GP with a very busy practice recently retired,and had a serious heart attack within six months.
Running certainly reduces stress considerably as you get that permanant non drug induced high.
Coffee is great for building up stress.
I have just been out for a bush-walk/jog tonight and you have lots of that around you.
Was it not Arthur Lydiard who got heart attack victims into marathons.
Progress will be slow but if you take music with you while you exercise,the time goes alot quicker.
I have got involved with the local tramping club which has fortnightly tramps,with our oldest member being an 84 year old retired hill country farmer.
It is social and good exercise.
Your cholesterol level is excellent.
Keep on truckin.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
glenboss
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:47:36 PM

Johnnymac, Did you know that stress is hereditary - you get it from your kids
johnnymac
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 8:44:25 AM

LOL Glenn..............that is fair comment, but the two granddaughters they have given me are now my greatest stress release....and you can give them back!!!!

Patrick, I ran competitively for thirty years and held a high pressure position down and never felt under any stress.............the endophines doing the job for me.
When I had to stop running after my spinal fusions that was when I started feeling stress but went to the gym daily to keep things under control. I cant surf or cycle any more as the drop foot I inherited from my back surgery doesn't allow me to and walking bores me so am looking at taking up canoeing. At least I can sit on my bum and and explore things while getting fit!!

Dear old Arthur was such a character and mentor for me and Marion...........funnily enough at one stage he owned the house next door to where I currently live.
glenboss
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:17:16 PM

johnnymac wrote:
LOL Glenn..............that is fair comment, but the two granddaughters they have given me are now my greatest stress release....and you can give them back!!!!

Just got to tell you the next joke - What's the definition of grandchildren...... They're God's gift to you for not killing your own !!