Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

An Upgrade for the Lower 911? Options
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 4:01:40 PM
Groups: Member

Just walking down the street in Berlin this morning (life's tough for some), and I saw the poster for Dr John, whose tour I will miss by a couple of weeks both here and in London (don't weep for me - caught him in the run up to Prince in Rotterdam last summer). But what struck me was "with the Lower 911, featuring Jon Cleary". And I just got to thinking how sweet it would be to watch Jon Cleary and the good Dr bouncing licks off of each other.

So, yeah, let's have that next Easter.....

And that new record is pretty sweet too. Don't know how much of it was down to Dan Auerbach on production duties (since I think "producer" can be a flexible term at times these days), but the band sound fresh and invigorated, something I would argue might have been missing from the Dr's set in 2010 at BF, so it bodes well for a tour. Gotta get a few more tours from Mac yet.
repete
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 7:06:09 PM
Groups: Member

ScottM wrote:
Just walking down the street in Berlin this morning (life's tough for some), and I saw the poster for Dr John, whose tour I will miss by a couple of weeks both here and in London (don't weep for me - caught him in the run up to Prince in Rotterdam last summer). But what struck me was "with the Lower 911, featuring Jon Cleary". And I just got to thinking how sweet it would be to watch Jon Cleary and the good Dr bouncing licks off of each other.

So, yeah, let's have that next Easter.....

And that new record is pretty sweet too. Don't know how much of it was down to Dan Auerbach on production duties (since I think "producer" can be a flexible term at times these days), but the band sound fresh and invigorated, something I would argue might have been missing from the Dr's set in 2010 at BF, so it bodes well for a tour. Gotta get a few more tours from Mac yet.

Cleary played with him at jazzfest this year and what a great set it was, featuring quite a few of the new songs. Dr John is an amazing artist, who at the tender age of 71 can still put out music that is fresh, original, provocative and of course, always funky. And I love listening to him talk...he makes up words and whole sentences, leaving me to nod in agreement, then wonder, wtf did he say??? I was especially privileged to see him perform a few songs with Irma Thomas at a party during jazzfest - one of those OMG experiences. I would be over the moon to see him return to bluesfest - one of the most influential and original musicians of the past 45 years and always wears his love for New Orleans on his sleeve. As I said sometime before, there was plenty of weird and original music in the 60's, then there was the Doctor......

Hangin' out on Frenchmen