Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Greetings from New Orleans Options
repete
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 2:58:00 AM
Groups: Member

The first weekend of jazzfest is over with some amazing performances. Seun Kuti and Egypt 80, Cheikh Lo, Poncho Sanchez and Terrence Blanchard, Voice of the Wetland Allstars, Dr John, Johnny Sansone and Tom Petty all put in great shows. But the highlight of the weekend was Springsteen's performace yesterday. He played for almost 3 hours to an audience of at least 100,000 but when he sang My City of Ruins, you could've heard a pin drop - it was an emotional performance. He clearly loved coming back to play at fest...remember, he asked to play at the last moment and a spot was made available on the bill. This was a show which won't be repeated elsewhere for emotional intensity and sheer joy.

Springsteen is probably too big an artist to play bluesfest, but I would love to see Voice of the Wetlands Allstars (yet another Louisiana super-group) and Johnny Sansone invited to perform. Next weekend will be a different experience - I'll be focussed on local New Orleans and Louisiana artists.

Jazzfest may not be the biggest festival on the planet but it is THE most important. Which makes the puerile idiocy of the Byron Shire Council an international embarrasment - Bluesfest is a treasure and should be supported by everyone.

Waffles...get your arse into gear and get organised and get over here next year. It's an experience you will never forget!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
youngbill
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:08:19 PM

yeah waffles!
waffles
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 7:53:31 AM

heres a good site to review jazzfest artists..
http://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index.ssf/2012/04/janelle_monae_leaves_new_orlea.html

great to see a lot of jazzfest artists have been to bluesfest,just not all at the same festival.

18 acts at the same time-talk about clashes.!

p.s. i am currently in negotiations with my treasurer (wife)as to the availability of funds for next years jazzfest.she says to stop spending.
but-so many cds,so many bands,sheplers sales-its just so hard.

but i do have my bluesfest 2013 ticket sorted!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
johnnymac
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:50:21 PM

Been going to suggest the Wetlands Allstars for Bluesfest
I have been asking for Tab Benoit for years but getting Anders Osbourne and Co as well would be bonus territory.

Keep have a great time in Norlins Repete........I'll just have to watch another episode of Treme this year.
regards
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 3:50:26 PM

I am too tired and emotional to say much,but Doctor John playing with Warren Haynes and his all star band today was very cool in that hot bloody tent, and I can tell you that I and am some local friends shed a few tears during the tribute to Levon Helm.

All is good huge crowd today and I need some sleep.
youngbill
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 7:32:15 AM

more please
bender
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 10:56:07 PM

Going to Jazzfest is definitely on my agenda. Hope to go next year but lack of funds could push this back to 2014. Either way I'm going to Jazzfest in the near future. Glad to see you enjoyed it Repete.
repete
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 4:25:14 AM

Second weekend has just finished....it was all great and took it out with the Preservation Hall's 50th anniversary with a lineup of guests which was a mini-fest in itself (Trombone Shorty, Rebirth, Ani diFranco, Steve Earle, Bonnie Rait, Allen Toussaint and a host of others).

One act I want to make special mention of is Regina Carter. This was one of the most sublime shows at jazzfest. Imagine the lead instruments of violin, kora and accordian all played by master musicians. She reworked a Habib Koite song into one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard. Her cd, Reverse Thread, has sold out all around town!

Another great performance was Bombino - unbelievable guitar work behind a shuffling beat of a thousand camels tracking through the desert. This was a real highlight and drew a standing ovation in the blues tent.

Also have to mention James Cotton - he may be over 80 and doesn't hve the voice to sing anymore, but omg can he play that harp!

And I just love Steve Earle who played with the Dukes. There were a few technical difficulties which delayed their start...Steve finally came on for his first ever performance at jazzfest..."I've waited 25 years to fu*k up this gig"...!!!

Too much more to mention...too hungover (last night ended up in a neighbourhood bar in the 7th Ward....

New Orleans is back!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:35:43 AM

Thanks for the updates
Have fun and stay safe

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:44:47 AM

nola.com has daily reviews and some video insights into this great festival.

youngbill
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 10:50:12 AM

thanks, 12 hourly reports should be fine from now on.
Dan...
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 10:16:18 PM

repete wrote:
Another great performance was Bombino - unbelievable guitar work behind a shuffling beat of a thousand camels tracking through the desert. This was a real highlight and drew a standing ovation in the blues tent.

definitely hope he gets a start at bluesfest next year.

The poster formerly known as Dan
repete
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:04:21 AM

If I can also mention the Swampland Jam last Saturday night at the Republic - Tab Benoit, Anders Osborne, Luther Dickinson and Warren Haynes plus Johnny Sansone, Karl Denson, Monk Boudreaux and Bo Dollis Jr....wow!!!

I believe highlights of jazzfest can be found on youtube.com/jazzfest.

Regards has been behaving himself and can report back on the Obama fundraiser and a few other shows.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
katieforfree
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:44:19 AM

I'Ll be in New Orleans on 26/5. Any suggestions on accommodation welcome. Also a good bar for us oldies.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:12:14 AM

swampland jam sounds like a dream .if i could put a jam togeather that would be it.some of my favorite musos.

regards
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:55:44 PM

katieforfree wrote:
I'Ll be in New Orleans on 26/5. Any suggestions on accommodation welcome. Also a good bar for us oldies.

I am in the Qantas Club at LAX getting ready to come home, internet is super slow, but I can help you with Hotels etc in a day or so.

Just let me know how many days you are there, convention season is nearly finished so you should be OK price wise, it will be warm by then, the last week has been faily hot and very humid.
comanche
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 1:31:30 PM

repete wrote:
Springsteen is probably too big an artist to play bluesfest

eh? You're fishing right?

Against the backdrop of blues titans that have played at Bluesfest, Springsteen is a blip on the radar IMO.
katieforfree
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 2:06:25 PM

thanks Reg. I will be there for 4 days . flying out tomorrow for Nashville etc and arriving In New Orleans on 26 th. I was hoping not to be in too big a hotel. No one I know has ever been there so I have no idea where it's best to stay for the music side of things.
johnnymac
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 4:02:54 PM

Hi Katie,

I have stayed in the Clarion Suites in Canal Street.
Walking distance to Bourbon St, music and everything.................tram outside door.
Funky Hotel......our room was big enough to play basketball in, right price and wonderful reception staff.
johnnymac
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 4:07:46 PM

Repete, your mention of the Wetland Allstars got me going..............I realised I had Voice of the Wetlands (2005) in my collection with Tab, Anders and all.......have played nothing since!!!!