Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Highlights/Lowlights Options
johnnymac
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 1:19:47 PM
Groups: Member

Just a few points to raise........................

Thanks Peter and all at Bluesfest for another sensationally organised event!!!!
Great diversity of music and saw as much as the scheduling would allow and then some.
The accolades that were paid to the organisers by the artists (Earle, Bromberg, Donovan, Hiatt that I heard) was excellent to hear and makes you realise the
effort that must go into providing us with a world class event.

Highlights..........THE WEATHER!!!!

Seating arrangements and no smoking in the tents. (or not that I noticed!!!!) Thank god those side benches have gone!!!

Brombergs story telling.

Finally seeing Harvey Mandel Live.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd's Monday set.

Betty Lavette. (an admirable substitute for my Ruthie Foster fix!!!!)

Getting next years ticket at the festival!!!!!!!!!!!! (Accomodation sorted, so only the plane to book now!!!)

The wonderful daily conversations with strangers on the bus.

Lowlights............The stones in front of the Crossroads stage............(I need heavier shoes next year!!!!)

Some young lady that kept screaming in my ear she was in love with Jonny Lang and had meet his sister the night before, all through his set, turning
what should have been a highlight for me into an endurance exercise!!

The over zealous security guard who on Thursday night considered that my crippled leg was drunk after one beer and refused me another drink
because I was walking funny. Told him I didn't have a lot of options on what God provided me but his attitude stunk. Next year do I need to
bring a doctors certificate??

coodgee
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 1:43:52 PM

highlights: Fogerty, Buddy Guy, Candi Staton, Donovan, Ziggy Marley.

Lowlights: catching a glimpse of paramedics pumping the chest of a poor woman who died just before Fogerty came on. It was a bit upsetting, must have been really bad for those who witnessed the whole thing, and of course the family of the deceased.
Pandamonium
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 9:30:56 PM

Highlights - Alabama 3, amazing act, the future of the blues!, My Morning Jacket, Buddy Guy, G3, the weather

Lolights:- Alabama 3 on the big stage for their unplugged set and then on the small stage for their full band act. These guys deserve to be on prime time big stage, awesome party band. Not a lot of people got to see them because they were on Apra stage the same time as CSNY were on main stage. You could tell they were bemused coming all the way from the U.K to play on a tiny stage, they still gave it their all though!
bambambam
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:59:51 PM

Pandamonium wrote:
Lolights:- Alabama 3 on the big stage for their unplugged set and then on the small stage for their full band act.

Yes that was silly of them wasn't it, Why do an acoustic set in Crossroads then a full set in Apra???
Whats more, we went to buy their CD'S the next day and they had taken them all with them,,,
( some artists CD's are on consignment and when they leave, they just take them )
We asked if we could order some but were told they don't deal with that record label,,,

Maceo Parker and Johnny Lang didn't even bother bringing CD's so the deal is,
If you see an artist you like then grab the CD's before they split,,,

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:00:12 PM

When Maceo played Bluesfest in 2008,for sale in the CD tent were "Roots & Grooves[2008]" and Schools In[2006]"
But unless the artist is signing at the fest,you may as well buy them direct from the US....especially considering the strong Aussie $ at present.
I recommend the 2004 DVD "My first name is Maceo" which combines interviews with music,and does not overdo the interview.

I left it to the end on Monday to buy a Dubmarine CD and they had taken them with them....
One thing I did say to the CD people was that when I buy a CD,I like to keep the price sticker on it,and if possible the name of the retailer.
In the tent,they tend to give you an unpriced copy.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:24:40 PM

depending on the artist,it is worthwhile ckecking u.k. prices.
i was looking for a seth lakeman cd and found amazon u.k. a lot cheaper than amazon u.s. possibly because it was an import for u.s. seth being irrush.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
woff555
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:44:02 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
[snip]

One thing I did say to the CD people was that when I buy a CD,I like to keep the price sticker on it,and if possible the name of the retailer.
In the tent,they tend to give you an unpriced copy.

Perhaps they don't want you to be able to compare and see how inflated the prices are. Sorry, but the prices were over the top compared to local retailers. I foolishly bought the new Chisel CD and found it $10 cheaper on return to civilisation.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:06:11 PM

It was the Rosie Ledet CD I pulled them up on.
It was only $15.
The three Eilen Jewell cds have no price on them,but that is made up for by the fact that the four band members all signed them,and I got Eilen to write nice things on the covers.
Which brings me to the subject of black cd covers.
Rosie only had a black pen,thus had some difficulty in finding a spot on the cover to affix her signature.
She commented that she really needed a silver pen.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
c0kebloke
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 5:56:47 AM

johnnymac wrote:

Lowlights............The stones in front of the Crossroads stage

I had no idea they were part of bf 2012, sorry to hear you didn't like them but they are getting a little long in the tooth.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
johnnymac
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:25:44 PM

Halarious Mr Coke Bloke, well picked up!!!!
If the Stones had have been there I could probably been quite happy standing on broken glass!!!!!
c0kebloke
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:29:50 AM

johnnymac wrote:

The over zealous security guard who on Thursday night considered that my crippled leg was drunk after one beer and refused me another drink
because I was walking funny. Told him I didn't have a lot of options on what God provided me but his attitude stunk. Next year do I need to
bring a doctors certificate??

Just do what i do johnnymac & hire a mobility scooter (but dont pinch my parking/recharge spot).
This year & the year before last the rsa guys were getting my drinks from the bar for me.
no waiting as they went to the front of the line & more or less gave me "table service".
Didn't happen last year but i think they were a little busy.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
pathfinder
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 2:33:57 PM

Highlight for us was the way the whole festival was run,everything just seemed to work with no fuss.Lowlight??.....it was only 5 days..........
Well done to all at bluesfest for a truly wonderful festival..................
freexone
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 4:18:40 PM

Lowlight - I GOT RIPPED OFF!!
As many of you may know I had to sell my ticket because of a death in the family.
Well, I advertised it on eBay at a really cheap price and got a sale almost immediately.
The buyer contacted me seeking for me to establish some bonefides ('cos it's the first time I've ever used eBay)
After that worked out he asked me how I was gonna send the ticket in time for the start of the show
(this was Sunday before Bluesfest) I told him I would send it tomorrow by express post, so Monday morning I posts it to the address on his
eBay purchaser info and rang him to tell him the ticket has just been posted.
He freaks and tells me he has moved since that address was correct,
and that I should have looked further on eBay for the correct address just up the road.
Then he asks if I have the little trace ticket from the envelope so that he can get the address issue fixed from his end.
Meantime, I ring the local post-office (it's still only about 3pm) and ask them what time the express post goes?
The lady says that they are all still here, and after explaining everything she allows me to change the address,
and so I'm thinking everything's cool and I'm lookin' forward to getting the $270- from PayPal.
By 2 days later I began to think something must have gone wrong
so I contact eBay and they confirm that the buyer has not paid for the ticket and a payment dispute case
has already been raised, and a notification e-mail has been sent, which gives the buyer another 4 days to pay;
but after that if I want to take it any further I have to go through Consumer affairs or private litigation.

I wish I lived a bit closer to Coolangatta, so I could gently remind the buyer about integrity
I can't think of anything much lower than taking advantage of someone who is grieving,
and not thinking too clearly about anything..
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:13:23 PM

Ebay have no interest in assisting in such matters.
All they do is match buyers with sellers and clip the ticket on a commission basis.
Dealing with them in regard to a complaint is a disfunctional nightmare as all you get is a mirage of call centre employees.
The only remedy is a police complaint.
I have been through this process already and found the police at Coolangatta extremely helpful in achieving a solution.

mpember
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:35:26 PM

I am sure I have raised this before, but I find it odd that BF continue to neglect offering an official channel for people to trade their tickets. Most major festivals now offer a process for the public to offer up their tickets at face value and with the ease of knowing that the neither the buyer or seller are being ripped off. It avoid scalping and allows BF to monitor demand.

It was amazing to find that BF went so far as to insist that the forum created for this very type thing was kept locked until every single ticket was sold. It meant that people who were looking to sell a 5 / 3 days ticket were unable to do so because single day tickets remained unsold.

It is these small details that are starting make BF look more commercial and less communal. As someone who has attended 11 out of the last 12 events, this year's experience has left me wondering if I want to return next year. I certainly don't want to be handing over $500 (as part of a buddy ticket) when there is every likelihood that I will be unable to offload the ticket if my recent health scare results in me being unable to go.
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:56:14 PM

pathfinder wrote:
Highlight for us was the way the whole festival was run,everything just seemed to work with no fuss.
Well done to all at bluesfest for a truly wonderful festival..................

That's about what I reckon.
Another positive this year for me this year was that there seemed to be a lot more Australian acts that I really enjoyed. The Audreys, Matt McHugh, Mel Ska, etc
I got a little tired of the bands that seemed to exist only as a backdrop for the main musician. I really enjoy the bands like Canned Heat, Mason Rack Band, Tribali, Alabama3 etc who seemed to just enjoy palying together. I just really enjoyed these acts
The only downside for me was that I sepnt the last 3 days fighting off the flue or whatever it was I ended up getting. I think adrenalin was only thing that kept it at bay and I only just hung on. Once Bluesfest finished I went seriously downhill. My daughters coming next year and she's a doctor so if it starts to happens next year, problem solved, I've got a "Doc on tap".
freexone
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 3:04:14 PM

mpember wrote:
I am sure I have raised this before, but I find it odd that BF continue to neglect offering an official channel for people to trade their tickets. It was amazing to find that BF went so far as to insist that the forum created for this very type thing was kept locked until every single ticket was sold.

I knew the conditions when I went in, so I can't really blame anybody.
It's pity that it happened at a time when I was in such an emotional low.
However now, I have a proper solicitor/friend helping out,
we will be attempting to recover as much money as possible,
''plus costs'' (which should really sting given that I have his acceptance [a legal contract] on file etc..)
I think he will quickly find that it would have been much cheaper to pay his debt; or, do the right thing in the first place.