Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Bluesfest is NOT a pub....separate tent for the talkers... Options
madameshawshank
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:08:06 PM
Groups: Member

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do they come to Bluesfest? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do they carry on conversations while an artist is performing? One group chatting away...I asked them to stop as those around were listening...the reply "Well, that's a first."

'n I'm not talking about the crowd outside the tents...

We pay big bucks for our tickets to hear the performers..not people talking about their shoe collection or whatever...

Perhaps a message could go up...a la the smoking/chairs......to be aware of those around you who are there to listen to the music...

If not a message...then why not a separate tent where the Bluesfest cd could be played ...'n they could chatter away to their hearts' content...

'n don't get me going on those who talk and THEN clap at the end of a song! bloody hell!

'n there were chatterers of all ages....

I find it inconsiderate...

coodgee
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 10:17:03 AM

madameshawshank wrote:
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do they come to Bluesfest? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do they carry on conversations while an artist is performing? One group chatting away...I asked them to stop as those around were listening...the reply "Well, that's a first."

'n I'm not talking about the crowd outside the tents...

We pay big bucks for our tickets to hear the performers..not people talking about their shoe collection or whatever...

Perhaps a message could go up...a la the smoking/chairs......to be aware of those around you who are there to listen to the music...

If not a message...then why not a separate tent where the Bluesfest cd could be played ...'n they could chatter away to their hearts' content...

'n don't get me going on those who talk and THEN clap at the end of a song! bloody hell!

'n there were chatterers of all ages....

I find it inconsiderate...

move closer to the speaker stack? If you were right up the front you wouldn't be able to hear anything but the music!
mcloud
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 10:41:16 AM

I love going to bluesfest as much for the music as I do the good times with friends and the great vibe created by other happy and sometimes talkative punters..... 'n why dont you plug in some earphones to the speaker stack and enjoy yourself in solitude. This is a festvial - not a night at the opera.
timcook123
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 10:56:56 AM

bluesfest isnt a library either mate

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
coppinafield19
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 11:09:52 AM

I share your frustration ....not music lovers but bogan alco idiots ...one girl would not shut up during johnny lang ...i asked nicely three times, she persisted with chatting away loudly and even thru in a few smart alec jibes directed towards me now i would never raise my hands to a lady(even though that was a stretch) so i elbowed the boyfriend in the head hard and they left and i enjoyed the rest of the set
Midnight_Rambler
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 11:32:20 AM

I also have to agree. It's a festival & I appreciate that people are also there catching up with friends. However we are there for the music not other people's lame conversations about the weather etc. If you want to talk stand outside the tent & talk away. You don't have to raise your voice as much either. I had a few people talking away through John Fogerty that were behind me. I was about 20 metres away from the stage too. Same problem in the Q & A tent. Now that is just plain rude.
BeulahF
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 11:50:32 AM

There's no point in raising the issue you will just get pejorative references to opera and libraries as has happened here. Young people are more fascinated with each other than anything else that is happening. It's worse at WOMAD as loud discussions may be taking place over Japanese stringed instrument performance etc.
mcloud
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 12:05:58 PM

Is it not equally as derogatory to speculate what my demographic is?

I think people mistake that sometimes this is a festival over 5 days.

It is not a concert hall gig - you get the faults with sound, toilets, people talking, acts being the good, the bad and the inbetween.

But the upside is everything we love about Bluesfest.

Have been to countless festivals over the years - and reckon the bluesfest this year has had just about the best behaviour and etiquette I have ever seen from those in attendance.
richo
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 3:52:59 PM

In all but the most crowded tents (which this year I didn't encounter once), it's pretty easy to move a few steps away from talkers. Yeah you're entitled to hear the music undisturbed, but at the end of the day it's a festival and you are making concessions in this regard.

Besides... I bet Bluesfest's balance sheet at the end of the day probably makes it closer to a pub more than anything else.
Kowalksi
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 4:43:11 PM

I believe that if you want to truly experience the music just as is, you should go listen to it in your loungeroom. Live music will always have other sounds mixing with it, and if people want to talk at a gig, they've paid their money too. Its not a movie, its not opera, its not a minute silence. It is inevitable that there will be talking, singing along, cheering, etc, as well as body odour and farts - thats what happens at a festival.

And really, if the talking is so loud as to cover the sound from the stage (which realistically would not be very often except perhaps during spoken word or some very soft acoustic instrument), is it really that big a deal to move a meter or two away? Taking the moral highground as it were.

The guy who elbowed the other guy in the head is the only thing that I have read in this thread that I find unacceptable. Justifying stupid physical aggression by saying someone was talking too loud - mate, its you who needs to check your behaviour.

greybeard
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 6:09:43 PM

I'm on coppinafield side It is unacceptable to have a concert spoiled by MORONS- full stop- no debate!
Had a Dylan/Paul Kelly concert at Centennial Park significantly spoiled by two families immediately behind me yelling the whole three hours as if they were at a backyard bbq.

**********************************************************************************************
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
madameshawshank
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 6:16:31 PM

well well now ;-)

Have been Bluesfesting 15 years...

Have enjoyed the music for 15 years....

Have been at the front for many sets....

Still don't get why people carry on conversations while someone is performing ..a few artists had expressions suggesting the same...when a quieter piece is being played...

If you don't want to listen to an artist..why not leave the gig...easy peasy...plenty of chat space outside...

I agree...Bluesfest is neither a library nor a concert hall...however, I still reckon the chatter close to the stage is inconsiderate ...

Is the 30 minutes between sets not enough time to cover a conversation?

bambambam
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 6:51:02 PM

Actually, what freaks me out more is watching parents carry around their new born babies without proper ear protection,,
Perhaps children under five should be made to wear earmuffs inside the tents, after all, what choice do they have,,,

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
charlievegan
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 8:08:08 PM

you cant make a rule for everything . . . otherwise the fest will become like the forum . . . . you get told off for cyberfarting here
madameshawshank
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:37:33 AM

charlievegan, for me it's about awareness....

as for cyberfarting...no problems there ;-)
bambambam
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:57:09 AM

charlievegan wrote:
you cant make a rule for everything . . . otherwise the fest will become like the forum . . . . you get told off for cyberfarting here

I hate rules too but I'm worried about their little ears,,,

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
kimandkiah
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 1:26:13 PM

I have to say that the first time I took my daughter to Bluesfest when she was 6 months, the amount of older 'concerned' patrons who decided it was their right to comment on how suitable they thought the venue was for my baby resulted in me being in tears (as if having my husband there with the boomba he had been having an affair with wasn't enough). If taking my child to a beautiful music festival such as the Blues Festival is the worst thing I can do as a parent then so be it.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 4:28:57 PM

Ruth is stranger than Richard.

Children tend to tone down behaviour patterns.
It is bizarre that there would be comment on the presence of children at Bluesfest.
I noticed quite a few pushchairs.
At the rails at Fogerty,there were two couples each with two young children,beside me.

Unfortunately some men have no morals and have hands all over the place like an octopus.
Other men tend to be well aware who they are.
I trust he is paying his fair share of child support and not working under the table.

In regard to babies,the cutest thing I saw was at Tribali in Apra on Sunday.
While the hordes were at JBT and the Pogues,up until the gig started,there was virtually only me,and a couple next to me with a young child.
The father was holding it.
It was too small to walk and had a dummy in its mouth.
Consequently it stayed silent.
What it was actually taking in,I did not know.
When they played "Never Give Up",Pijpo had us waving our arms from side to side above our heads.
To my surprise,the baby also started waving its arms in mirror.
I was very impressed and congratulated it.
The father continued looking staight ahead so I probably should not have commented.
However,it was cute.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
akg1992
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:07:28 PM

To people who feel the need to speak during performances.....

Regardless of style and performance circumstances; musicians/artists perform in order to share something with people... with YOU. This is a beautiful thing, even if you don't feel as if you can connect with their performance... So don't you think that it's your responsibility as an audience member to hold up your end of the deal and at least try to receive what it is that they have dedicated their entire lives to bring to you?

Is it your short attention spans that are making it so difficult for you to actively listen to a piece of music?

Or are you just rude?

You're paying a lot of money to attend the festival so you obviously, on some level, have a love for music. Is the thing that you had to talk about so urgent that you weren't able to respect the music that you love?

and what do you mean "this is not a night at the opera"? Are you suggesting that the music that gets performed at the festival does not deserve the same respect and attention that opera does?

Apart from talking obviously been disrespectful to the performers and the people around you, you're not really doing yourself any favours. You can learn a whole lot about a whole lot of things if you just listen... Your loss...
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:54:41 PM

As I wander around the Fest by myself,and any conversations are between sets, I never have the temptation to talk when a performance is on..
Patrons who need to talk when a gig is on,obviously are not really interested in that set.
Perhaps they are at a particular set because it is trendy to be there,or that they will be in the out crowd if they do not attend.
For some,the festival is a social outing rather than a fanatical music encounter.
I tend to favour uptempo sets so do not generally encounter any issues
And I either go right up the front or right down the back.
Perhaps it is less of an issue than somewhere in the middle..

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8