Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Am i getting too old for bluesfest or are the younger ones less respectfull Options
beakyfish
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:11:51 PM
Groups: Member

Is it just me ? I mean i stand there up the front for 30 min to get a good spot, then the act comes on ,and all these young jerks just push thru and there is no obvious room and then jump all over you
Piss off to the big day out
Next year im taking a club
freexone
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:52:00 PM

It's called ( and it doesn't matter how much you fight it ) getting to know about responsibility to your fellow man.
And mostly it comes with age..
Last year when I was planning on being near the stage, I wore steel-caps to protect my feet.
And a snarl for anybody who came too close to my camera or mono-pod
sushiwee
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:09:00 AM

I think it all depends who you are watching..........the lack of personal space and jumping around goes hand in hand with most bands the young ones are after seeing.
The Mosh pits are pretty tame at Bluesfest and rightly so as most bands dont justify one............but for a band like the pogues, where i saw some oldies crawl out in disgust things can get a lot worse. The Pogues are known for the full on slam dancing crowd surfing affairs so to expect a happy sing along with elbow room would be crazy.

I do know how frustating it is when you have respectfully staked your position before the show to have people start snaking there way through......saw it done by lots of females old enough to know better at Fogerty

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:27:08 AM

I was one from the rail at Fogerty and there was a bit of this.
I was about five from the front at the Specials and noticed a bit.
But it is no big deal considering the size of the crowds.
I just don't allow such people past me,and if the attendees next to you are of the same mind,it all works well.
On the other hand,when I was moving forward for Setzer/Fogerty,the younger attendees at Marley were easy to slip by.
Undoubtedly we live in a more selfish society than used to be the case,and aggression is linked with age.
When you are older you mellow.
That aside,Bluesfest is notable for people apologising for bumping into you,and the overall friendliness and brotherhood is awesome.
The same can be said for the courteousness of Aussie car drivers.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Rabbitoh_1969
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:25:08 PM

In defence of the younger generation I will share some positive interactions I had:

- A guy with a mohawk offered me a spot in the front row so I could better see WPA & The Pogues
- His girlfriend pulled me to the side so I didn't get hit when security had to jump the fence
- On the same night a young guy on the bus offered me his seat. I told him to go home and tell his mum she should be very proud of the job she had done.
- During Cold Chisel a group of young guys told some girls to drop the bad language as there were kids in the crowd next to them.

My only negative were a couple of young guys pulling apart the bus fence to push in (it almost fell on me and a few others). They need better security on ALL bus routes.

Marie5
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:31:13 PM

all up i think everyone was mindful of others

with the exception of the 2 young "ladies?" who pushed up to the front during Brian Setzer and proceeded to take 14 photos of themselves - really weird.

all the other sets i saw were great. sound in Jambalaya was great. felt sorry for whoever was on in Apra during G3

found the younger folk were lots of fun.

paddle faster I hear banjo music .................
dissent
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:30:22 PM

As one of the younder generation, the only poor behaviour I saw was from the middle-aged. One tall older man stepped on my mother's foot when he decided to push in front of her and stand directly in her line of sight. Another older couple pushed in front two people next to me and then were rude when the two people they pushed in front of dared to suggest they move.

This behaviour isn't synonymous with any generation, and overall I found this years bluesfest to be one of the most pleasant of the lot.... largely because of the new seat policy.
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:53:08 PM

dissent wrote:
As one of the younder generation, the only poor behaviour I saw was from the middle-aged. One tall older man stepped on my mother's foot when he decided to push in front of her and stand directly in her line of sight. Another older couple pushed in front two people next to me and then were rude when the two people they pushed in front of dared to suggest they move.

This behaviour isn't synonymous with any generation, and overall I found this years bluesfest to be one of the most pleasant of the lot.... largely because of the new seat policy.

Dissent's writing and others highlight whats wrong with the current chair policy, it promotes people who want to arrive LATE and push-in, it deters those who are happy arriving early and quietly settling down, and most importantly those tall dudes get the best view, with or without standing on the vertically challenged toes!
Only those who have lived long enough to have their telomeres shortened and frayed are truly civilised.

**********************************************************************************************************************************
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
rearranging their prejudices.
-- William James

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
reddragon
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:03:29 PM

I think over the 5 days this year there was less pushing and shoving than in previous years. Having the walkways to the mixing desk through the chair people enabled easy access to the front, something I really appreciated instead of struggling to get through endless barriers of chairs. I find that a simple tap on the shoulder and an excuse me goes a long way if you want to get closer, rather than just shoving past. The ones that do the pushing past are usually boozed up or in such a hurry they are oblivious to the people surrounding them. But hey it is a festival and there are always going to be a few things that give you the shits! Overall the vibe in the tents was very polite.
luke_f
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:53:04 PM

Yeah, I think that the bad behaviour cuts across generations. Saw plenty of boozed up 30-something blokes sullenly barging through the crowd, couple cans in each hand. Had a young woman squirm into a non-existent space in front of me, but was gracious when I told her to move. Some guy off his head howled in my face like a maniac as he pushed through at John Butler.

Having said that, the crowds were conspiculously well-behaved compared to the last gig I was at in Melbourne - got into a proper westling match with a couple young chicks trying to take over the space I'd been holding for an hour.
nickfromsydney
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:52:08 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
The same can be said for the courteousness of Aussie car drivers.

I guess you're not from/don't visit Sydney much... ;)
bambambam
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:55:12 PM

Rabbitoh_1969 wrote:

In defence of the younger generation I will share some positive interactions I had:

- A guy with a mohawk offered me a spot in the front row so I could better see WPA & The Pogues
- His girlfriend pulled me to the side so I didn't get hit when security had to jump the fence

I saw that guy with the big green mohawk and his girlfriend, they were hard not to miss,,,
They were both polite and respectful, even though some people were dissin' his haircut occasionally,,,

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
dtucker
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 9:55:26 AM

I agree there seemed to be less bad behaviour this year and any I saw was certainly not from the younger generation. As Luke_f said the major culprits are middle aged men who think that having a beer in their hand for some friend lost way up the front entitles them to push through everybody (how about drinking in the bar between acts when the tents get crowded at night) and middle aged women who seem to think that pushing in is OK as long as you are dancing while you do it (adding the injury of jumped-on toes to the insult of having your spot up the front taken).
The worst bad behaviour I consistently see is people who go right up the front, turn their back on the stage and talk very loudly to their group of friends. It makes no sense.
In fact I am regularly pleasantly surprised by the behaviour of young people at bluesfest and splendour and the harvest festival. I never have any misgivings about getting right up the front at any of those festivals if the opportunity arises and have never experienced any unpleasantness. I am very optimistic about the future after seeing young people at these festivals just having a good time listening to music and absolutely no aggression.
timcook123
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 11:03:00 AM

I was woken up twice on the first two nights ( didnt bother me i just think this is funny)
apparently there were some people partying loud i couldnt hear them at all i was woken by this one bloke
who kept yelling out SHUT THE F%#K UP!!!! haha it cracked me up i just thought seriously if ur camping youve gotta expect some background noise ay
its part of the experiance

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
Midnight_Rambler
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 11:42:54 AM

If you want to see a band enough that you need to in front of me (I like to be as close to the front as I can get, while not pushing in). Then you have to get there before me. I'm not that tall about 5 9" & it frustrates me no end when someone taller than me feels the need to be in front by pushing in. I know people can't help being tall & if you are there before me so be it. You are more committed than me. I almost saw a few fights before the Pogues because people wanted to push through where there was clearly no more room.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 11:44:50 AM

http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup_preview.php?category_id=39251&offset=45

I asked Sam Mooney as to whether he was into Psychobilly.
He said that he was not.
He enjoyed the Pogues.
He must be into punk as I recall him doing a leap into the tent when Glen Matlock announced that they would perform a song that he "wrote with some blokes."

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
jphall42
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 4:13:40 PM

I had one issue at Chisel, some young guy kept pinching me on the arse...... He was 22 and 5 ft 9 and I am 6'4 and 100kgs..... I turned around after the 2nd pinch and asked if he had always liked pinching guys arses..... He gave me a hug and then went and bought me a drink ??? .... I am still a bit confused as was my wife....but figured it was worth it to get a free beer !!
nickfromsydney
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 6:49:24 PM

jphall42 wrote:
I had one issue at Chisel, some young guy kept pinching me on the arse...... He was 22 and 5 ft 9 and I am 6'4 and 100kgs...

You know this fact... so... uhhh.... after he bought you the beer, you two got a-talkin'.... ? ;)
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 7:59:58 AM

The 22 year old obviously was not the rent boy who tried to chat me up at the India Arie set,as he was a bit shorter than 5ft 9" and would be a bit older by now.
He told me that he made good money at Easter time.
He literally chased me out of the tent.
Didn't enjoy that set.
Shows you cannot always start casual conversations at Bluesfest.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:04:15 AM

I once drove through Sydney.
That was when we ended up at Newcastle by mistake.
We got lost but some taxi drivers who were arguing about who Israel was next going to attack,put us right.
Driving over the Harbour bridge was a bit weird,as there was only one green lane going south.
All the others were red.