Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Headline Acts Options
RobertMay
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:42:46 PM
Groups: Member

Firstly what a fantastic blues fest this year! I have to say though, I am disappointed that the top headline listing went to Cold Chisel. Look I love Cold Chisel and think they are great but feel disappointed that many fabulous international acts whom travel all this way to perform for us aren't highlighted on the headline listing with the respect they are due. I for one feel very lucky to have seen this level of entertainment on our shores.

Rob

YosemiteBaz
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:15:38 PM

I agree, although I don't think the top spot necessarily needs to go to an international act. I can only think it was a condition of Cold Chisel's contract. I'd have put John Butler Trio at the top before Chisel (a more fitting option in my opinion if we were to put an Aussie act at the top). In all honestly though it should have been John Fogerty at the top, especially seeing as he played two nights. After all, its not like they didn't update it to remove Roger Daltrey and add Fogerty's second performance.
Marie5
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:02:52 PM

after being to 18 bluesfests and seeing many many fine performers

I rank Cold Chisels as the finest act I have seen

the vocals, musicianship and vibe were the best I have been a part of. (this includes Cat Empire, James Brown, Carney, Eugene H. Bridges, Michael Franti, JBT and many more of the greats I have seen over the years)

i was proud that an aussie band was headlining and did such a fantastic job. jimmy still has the best voice on the planet.

paddle faster I hear banjo music ..................
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:22:27 PM

A headline act is defined as the act that is expected to be the most popular,and is expected to generate the most ticket sales for a festival.
The Bluesfest management must have decided that Cold Chisel were the artists who would fill that spot at Bluesfest 2012.
I would have expected for 2012,that act to have been John Fogerty.

Earth Wind & Fire would not qualify on the grounds that the Bluesfest audience is white,and a material segment of the audience do not have an interest in the style of music they perform.
My two travelling companions were such people.
Naturally they were keenly interested in the Cold Chisel set.
Their opinion of Jimmy Barnes' voice at Bluesfest 2012 was not flattering.
Neither of them ranked the Chisel set at the top of their 2012 setlists.

In terms of career long statistics measured in international terms,the major headline acts which have appeared over the Bluesfest cycle,would be the following :
Bob Dylan
Jethro Tull
REM
DMB
EWF
John Fogerty

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:46:31 AM

John Fogerty was on top of the poster in 2008, so would have been a repeat in that sense. Chisel are probably in the top 3 Australian bands acts of all time (after AC-DC and Midnight Oil I'd venture) and have toured only rarely for 10 years. Much better PR to have their name in big font. Plus, they'd already been announced as "Festival Headliner" in an individual announcement before JF was announced.

But given that the decision would be at the discretion of the Bluesfest office (with any artist demands factoring into that), a discussion of who is "festival headliner" becomes fairly moot, or at the very least risks veering into "my opinion is superior to that opinion" territory.

I've always liked to read down the poster and find the gems hidden in the smaller font. Anyone with a big wallet can book headliners, but there is an art in filling the bill.
dcavedon
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:03:31 AM

Yes on final day seemed a little unusal as the closing act on Mojo - I would have thought having JBT close the festival or someone of that ilk would have been more fitting, howeverI get that artist/ headliner scheuling is a fine art that I would never attempt to understand, and I certainly have absolutely no complaints on this Bluesfest which was just fantastic. At least Chisel had significant broad appeal in Australia to warrant a headline post, even if their brand of music isnt to my particular taste.
regards
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:59:45 PM

Chisel has headliner would have made perfect sense if they had not toured so much in very recent times, as they have sold stacks of Albums here.

And there recent tour was very succesful.

Only BluesFest Admin can tell if the price they paid was rewarded with enough extra people being there on Thursday. I was on the road last year and did not arrive till Friday so do not know if the crowd seemed substantial bigger or not, but hope it was.
mgwfall
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:37:47 PM

dcavedon wrote:
Yes on final day seemed a little unusal as the closing act on Mojo - I would have thought having JBT close the festival or someone of that ilk would have been more fitting, howeverI get that artist/ headliner scheuling is a fine art that I would never attempt to understand, and I certainly have absolutely no complaints on this Bluesfest which was just fantastic. At least Chisel had significant broad appeal in Australia to warrant a headline post, even if their brand of music isnt to my particular taste.

I think Roger Daltry was the original headliner for Monday
bambambam
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:57:22 PM

I'd like to thank Cold Chisel, John Fogerty and John Butler trio for allowing me to watch
Lucinda Williams (twice) and Johnny Lang (once) in almost empty tents,
Thanks guys,,,,,,,

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
anitra
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:33:37 PM

At the risk of inciting a broadside from the Chisel faithful, I watched the first 45 minutes of their set and then left to look for something better as I was reminded of why I've never really enjoyed them live:
1. Jimmy Barnes voice - I know that he can actually sing so why does he have to SCREAM every song? 45 minutes of listening to that had my ears bleeding but not in an interesting way; and
2. Cold Chisel crowds - why is it that Chisel are a touchstone for so many people's inner bogan? A tightly packed tent with way too many people who seemed to have staggered out of a particularly drunken Saturday night at the Rooty Hill RSL was no fun after a while. I didn't experience another set like it in five days and it's not typical of Bluesfest crowds.

So that's why Cold Chisel are not a worthy contender for headliner status in my opinion. Now let the howls from the devotees (and anyone who is actually from Rooty Hill) begin.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 8:01:55 AM

My usual travelling companion described Jimmy Barnes' voice as "shot"
He did enjoy Ian Moss.
If they drew a larger crowd than John Fogerty,then by definition they were the headline act.
Those who saw both acts will be able to comment.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
waffles
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 9:51:05 AM

i must agree with keiths opinion. as a long term chisel fan,i thought barnesys voice was strained and the old chisel harmonies were not there. they were not as tight as they once were.but they gave the fans what they came for.i thought 2 hours was a bit much but if i was enjoying it more 2 hours would not have been enough.

ps by long term chisel fan i mean i first saw them as support act for foreigner in what i think was their first sydney appearance.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
dtucker
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 10:06:35 AM

waffles wrote:

ps by long term chisel fan i mean i first saw them as support act for foreigner in what i think was their first sydney appearance.

Not bad Waffles. How about at the UNE commencement dance in early 1974, supported by the Maitland Bush Band (they don't seem to have kicked on quite so well as Chisel). They were a covers band in those days and used to do a killer version of Freddie King's Going Down.

Apart from Flame Trees, I've always preferred the songs Mossie sings on. I actually find his voice much more soulful than Barnsey's despite the latter's claims to being some sort of soul singer.
luke_f
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 11:45:42 AM

I thought Barnes was doing pretty well for an old bloke. The voice isn't what it once was, but I think it improved during the performance. He's lucky to have been able to sing the way he does for as long as he has. Most guys voices would be shot after a few years singing the way he always has.

Having said that, I agree with @dtucker - Moss is a beautiful singer and seems to be going the distance better than Barnsey. I think his hands are getting a little stiff though.
Midnight_Rambler
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 11:54:34 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

Earth Wind & Fire would not qualify on the grounds that the Bluesfest audience is white,and a material segment of the audience do not have an interest in the style of music they perform.

Ummmm Dude it's a blues festival. You know how the blues started right? I'm pretty offended at that comment. It's like saying white people can't like Hip Hop because they are white.
coppinafield19
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 12:00:28 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
A headline act is defined as the act that is expected to be the most popular,and is expected to generate the most ticket sales for a festival.
The Bluesfest management must have decided that Cold Chisel were the artists who would fill that spot at Bluesfest 2012.
I would have expected for 2012,that act to have been John Fogerty.

My two travelling companions were such people.
Naturally they were keenly interested in the Cold Chisel set.
Their opinion of Jimmy Barnes' voice at Bluesfest 2012 was not flattering.
Neither of them ranked the Chisel set at the top of their 2012 setlists.

In terms of career long statistics measured in international terms,the major headline acts which have appeared over the Bluesfest cycle,would be the following :
Bob Dylan
Jethro Tull
REM
DMB
EWF
John Fogerty

The question that should be asked here is: Exactly How red thy neck?
Midnight_Rambler
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 12:02:17 PM

Thank you Coppinafield19. Glad I'm not the only one who thought that
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 12:25:30 PM

At an annual blossom festival some two hours north of here,a Motown band from Sydney was booked.
There were complaints.
It was not popular because the white audience wanted a "Rock N Roll type band."
My regular travelling companion went to the EWF tent,listened,and left.
He said to me "What was that ....."
He and my other travelling companion,favour rock,blues rock or blues.
Funk,tribal drumming,sea shanties,dub,reggae,ska,electronica,bluegrass are of no interest.
Their tastes are a template of a large segment of the 40 plus population of Australasia.
Hence they were at Cold Chisel,where I was not.
Hence I was at EWF,Tribali,Dubmarine,Maceo Parker,Ziggy Marley,Great Big Sea, where they were not.
Earth Wind & Fire are not a Blues Band.
Bluesfest is not a Blues Festival.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 9:25:14 AM

As for hip hop,that is a relatively recent creation.
I asked a Maori acquaintance of Keith's,who has been to Bluesfest a few times,what type of music the Maori people tended to like.
He told me that the older ones liked Reggae,and the younger ones hip hop.
His musical icons were Jimi Hendrix and Bob Marley.
I don't mind a bit of rapping mixed up with other things..eg Galactic,PFunk or Maceo.