Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

what was Cavanbah like? Options
byroness1
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:57:42 PM
Groups: Member

didnt get to go to Cavanbah - what was it like?
if you feel like a peaceful relaxing break, is that the place to go?
charlievegan
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:59:10 PM

felt like all the people who got dragged along to the fest stayed in there . . . who reads a BOOK at the bluesfest??????????????
eileenk9
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:46:32 AM

I never even saw it. Where was it located?
kimandkiah
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:47:56 AM

As a Mum who was at Bluesfest for 5 days on her own with a 5 year old the Cavanbah tent was a godsend. Miss 5 slept most nights on the floor - warm & out of everyones way whilst Mum could have a bit of a dance and enjoy the fantastic acts that were on at this tent. Kim Churchill, Claude Hay, Harry Healy & Mojo Bluesman. LOVED every second of these sets. Was nice to actually feel 'a part' of the gig rather than on my picnic rug right at the back of the mojo tent with munted sound and no way of seeing what was going on. Thankyou Bluesfest organisers for having such fabulous performers at this tent as well as giving the Uni students a fantastic opportunity to practice their skills. Miss 5 and I had the times of our lives at this years Bluesfest (I've been going for 16 years) and this tent helped to enhance the experience. Whilst the majority of the people were off seeing the 'big' name acts we were enjoying an intimate gig much like you would see at a 'proper' music venue. LOVE the Cavanbah tent.
reddragon
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:58:46 PM

Chilled out Oasis comes to mind.

Went in there for a brief spell when Kim and Claude were jamming - had the feel of a cool local pub. Loved that thing hanging down from the ceiling. Also went in breifly to listen to Claudes Q and A to get my cd signed - he's a good guy.
reddragon
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:03:56 PM

Sorry it was Ray and Kim, or was it Claude and Ray?? hahha, I'd had too many lemonades at that stage.
madameshawshank
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:48:38 PM

Enjoyed the interviews sooooooooooooo much...Dom Turner talking about his guitar...Dawes...

Mojo Bluesmen...

great space...loved it...

may it be there next year please
byroness1
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:28:40 PM

any other type of music people want to hear at Cavanbah ?
would some laid back meditational music suit? or do people want to hear rhythm all day
skot20_58
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:05:54 PM

Terrible waste of space. The juke joint was great why did they take itaway? Blues fest does some strange things to ticket buyers

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
kimandkiah
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:14:31 PM

I'm not sure how it could be considered a waste of space when so many people enjoyed it. I saw quite a few of the performers enjoying other acts there and every time I was in the tent there was always a good crowd. Each to their own but I hope it's considered a keeper.
colinsid
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:28:11 PM

I went in several times & enjoyed the music & the interviews, it was a bit noisy with the bar area there though, as people were talking during intrviews etc.

I saw the end of the ABC broadcast, Alabama3 & the Backliders, they also had quite a few other artists on earlier doing brief interviews & playing a bit of music.
Also watched the Bluebirds (or Blackbirds can't remember now) as well as an intervew with Ray Beadle before his acoustic set. Also caught some other acts for a song or two. Good place for a chillout & a seat.
skot20_58
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 10:22:37 AM

kimandkiah wrote:
I'm not sure how it could be considered a waste of space when so many people enjoyed it. I saw quite a few of the performers enjoying other acts there and every time I was in the tent there was always a good crowd. Each to their own but I hope it's considered a keeper.

Did you attend last year??? The juke joint was a large tent that had quality music all day not intimitent music starting late in the day like the cavanabah. Compared to the juke joint it was a joke. They should have retained the juke joint and apra stage in the same positions and had the cavanabah elsewhere.

Dear Skot,
kimandkiah
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:35:48 AM

skot20_58 wrote:
kimandkiah wrote:

Did you attend last year??? The juke joint was a large tent that had quality music all day not intimitent music starting late in the day like the cavanabah. Compared to the juke joint it was a joke. They should have retained the juke joint and apra stage in the same positions and had the cavanabah elsewhere.

Nope, out of the past 16 years I've missed 2 Bluesfests and last year was one of them.

Cavanbah worked for me. I liked the atmosphere and I loved the music. Others seemed to enjoy it too. I didn't particularly like the setup of the Apra stage but I don't know how it differed from last year.
madameshawshank
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 2:48:15 PM

Cavanbah again next year please...was a fabulous space to listen to artists share their stories...the Dom Turner interview in particular I enjoyed so much...he talking of his guitar...'n then placing it alongside him on the couch...like a treasured companion...

Also, the chairs were a gift for ma tired old legs!..'n I love that they were tied together.....no wandering chairs like before...before benches arrived at the food tent!..remember how the chairs would make their way to the tents...

anyway...YES to Cavanbah...loved the space very much...
skot20_58
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 11:18:26 AM

kimandkiah wrote:
skot20_58 wrote:
kimandkiah wrote:

Nope, out of the past 16 years I've missed 2 Bluesfests and last year was one of them.

Cavanbah worked for me. I liked the atmosphere and I loved the music. Others seemed to enjoy it too. I didn't particularly like the setup of the Apra stage but I don't know how it differed from last year.

Bring back the juke joint! Ignorance must be bliss

Dear Skot,
madameshawshank
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 2:04:41 PM

From skot20_58: They should have retained the juke joint and apra stage in the same positions and had the cavanabah elsewhere.

Nice idea....am trying to think of where to put Cavanbah...I found it fun...
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 2:56:52 PM

I went in there once to pick up a mag and once to sign the petition.
There were plenty of interesting sets to watch in the other four tents.
Therefore I did not miss not having a fifth tent full of sets.
The concept of Cavanbah appears to have been positively received by those who frequented it.
On that basis,I expect it will be repeated in 2013.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
billh
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 9:21:15 PM

I thought Cavanbah was a good innovation. Ray Beadle's acoustic set was terrific and not something you are going to see at one of the other tents. Only saw 2 interviews but one with Backsliders was interesting. I hope they retain it.