Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Fogerty Options
Toner1
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:07:14 PM
Groups: Member

I wonder who in John's entourage has the balls to tell him to lose the dorky neckerchief. The shirt, I can live with, but that thing around his neck .... nuh, sorry, ain't workin'. And what about that poncy little run he does? And what about that irritating and unFortunate-ah ending to Fortunate Son? And what about his sometimes incomprehensible pronunciation? Um, good shows, both of 'em, heheh. BF highlight (of course!).
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:30:17 PM

59 negative words.
12 positive words.
I loved his shirt.
I used to wear cravats.
If he wants to wear a handkerchief around his neck,then that is his privilege.
The man deserves nothing but respect.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Hele54
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:31:15 PM

I think that is a bit critical - he is pretty damn good for his age and so what about his incomprehensible pronunciation - it was the end of a long tour of Aus (& probably other countries) and Monday's show was a bonus. I thoroughly enjoyed JF.
Marie5
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:46:36 PM

thought Fogerty played brilliantly. he looked & sounded just fine

very very fit for a 67 year old. a lot fitter than some of the younger ones i saw.

i have nothing but complete respect for him, his music and his performances at the bluesfest.

paddle faster I hear banjo music .................
pod2006
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:34:58 PM

Absolutely loved him again. A friend quipped he didn't take fluids on his stage because at that age he may need to go to the loo too ofte.

My only negative is when in Australia he should drop the gunslinger song.
benjake
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:02:29 PM

fogerty was awesome ,i cant think of another singer in history where most people over 30 would know the words to most of his songs whether you like them or not..
Which made for some good singalongs.. Who cares what he wears im not there to check out his fashion ,,we are there to rock...Amen..
Toner1
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:23:27 PM

No, no, no! Ya got me all wrong. I love John! I'll say it again, I love John!! Why, if I was a woman, I'd want to have had his children.... Didn't I sit through both shows and hear every song?! I mean, first night, what a way to kick things off with Ramble Mumble from Cosmo's Factory. And John always did have one of the best guitar tones around. And just so we're squared away, I ain't gonna talk about his hair ...... Can't say fairer than that.

'kay, that's outa the way. Now (and this is brilliant, guys), here's a way to get the man back next year. Let's all say that we want to have the Blue Ridge Rangers here next year! Yep, you read right. Young John put out a coupla albums years ago under that moniker featuring old country (and Western) standards. They're good too! 'Course, he'll probably have to practice those suckers up a bit. But here's the crunch - after he gets all that sh .... sorry, stuff, outa the way, it'll be on to the CCR goodies. And with a gig like that he can wear all the natty country gear with gay abandon too.... if he must. So there ya go, get onto Mr Noble to bring out the BRR next year. See? I'm thinking about things - it's win,win, win, for you Fog-ladytes. And I'll be there too. We'll all end up singing songs with such immortal lines as, "There's a baboon on the right", "Anne-Maries' an elephant, playin' in the band", and of course, "I wanna know, have you ever been deranged?"

C'mon guys, let's do it!
eileenk9
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:37:58 PM

Couldn't stop dancing on Monday night. He was brilliant and I thought his accent was cute, especially when he said "thank y'all for comin'.
arbee0
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:45:16 PM

I hate to join the fashion police (only did that once - for Patty Griffin's 20's "frock") but agree the hair colour was a little alarming - soon it will be as black as Jeff Beck's!
(apologies John if it is indeed natural - if so I envy you)
dtucker
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:57:23 PM

I loved his monday show (couldn't see saturday because it clashed with Lucinda). Don't care about his outfit - do care about his attitude which was just aimed at giving the audience the best possible time and he sure did that. One thing that made it even better were two young women (under twenty I guess) beside me who sang the words of almost every song (including Pretty Woman) and who were having a ball. It's great to see that the younger generation appreciate quality music from the past just as we old folk should acknowledge the brilliance of some of the new acts coming out each year. Bluesfest is an ideal vehicle for letting this happen.
nickfromsydney
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:48:06 PM

"There's a bathroom on the right."

what a genius.
timcook123
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:31:54 AM

"my guitar was tuned when i bought it" hahaha

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
hridayan
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:19:40 PM

I came for the music not a fashion parade. Fogarty was brilliant! Showed he still had it in spades.
If you closed your eyes you could imagine you were listening to Creedance.
Loved it.

If you're not having fun, you're missing the point
nickfromsydney
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:23:30 PM

It was a shock collar anyway...

Remember how he mentioned his old lady being backstage and her being the reason he was there...?

Yeah, well... she was the one with her finger on the button. ;)

"Play Johnny... play...."
eileenk9
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:19:03 PM

Good for you Julie Fogerty! ;)

Hope he comes back to Australia soon. I want more ...
madameshawshank
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:53:11 PM

At almost 63 I thought my days of 'at the front of Mojo' had long gone...nope;-)

The hours of waiting..worth every minute...the joyousness in his face was gorgeous to see...every so often I'd shut my eyes...'n yep...back in Creedence land..

I found his gig generous...a real treat...

Am thrilled he played Bluesfest...
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:01:08 PM

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/john-fogerty-rocks-and-rols-the-adelaide-entertainment-centre/comments-e6fredpu-1226314056991

Excellent review and comments.
The one from Jen of Adelaide is interesting.
Great to see he has that shirt on again.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
colinsid
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 12:53:58 PM

Who gives a rat's about his hair or collar, I guess he could have had the "I know longer care about how I look" that Steve Earle has adopted.
The sound of his voice & all those great songs made it worth it while.
I saw him both times, the Saturday I thought I would just watch the album part, as I was going again on the Monday, but I was trapped by the music, I couldn't leave. The same thing on Monday I thought I'd seen him now so I will just listen to Green River & go check out Kenny Wayne, but again I couldn't leave, he played a couple of different songs in the 2nd part so I had to listen.
jafa99
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:56:26 PM

Toner1 wrote:
... neckerchief. .... his sometimes incomprehensible pronunciation?

Just catching up now. Thanks Toner1, I was too far back and couldn't figure out what was around his neck. It looked like a choker, which seemed a bit odd. As for the pronunciation - I don't recall finding it at all incomprehensible. But I was curious about his accent. I know he grew up in SF - do they speak like that there?

Loved both his sets. Great performer.
drwildare
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:20:10 PM

jafa99 wrote:
Toner1 wrote:
... neckerchief. .... his sometimes incomprehensible pronunciation?

Just catching up now. Thanks Toner1, I was too far back and couldn't figure out what was around his neck. It looked like a choker, which seemed a bit odd. As for the pronunciation - I don't recall finding it at all incomprehensible. But I was curious about his accent. I know he grew up in SF - do they speak like that there?

Loved both his sets. Great performer.

He actually grew up in the Bay Area not San Francisco itself. He attended Albany High. How do I know?
My father taught at Albany High though he did not teach the Fogerty Boys. As for his accent it is a fake South
Carolinan accent. He believes he would be taken seriously with a Californian Accent in Country Music or Country
Rock and he has always used the fake accent. His sets were good but he is not really a great performer in my
opinion but I do remember Judy Collins, Joan Baez and Country Joe and The Fish who all came out of the Bay Area
Scene.

The Dr is in the House