Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

IMPROVEMENTS? Options
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:00:28 PM
Groups: Member

well,nows the time to reflect on anything that needs improving. be positive please.

soundbleed.definately an issue.i think with the removal of the stands in crossroads,the soundbleed was worse.maybe the tent curtain on the northern side of crossroads should have run the full length of the tent-the entrance to the vip was the only thing beyond that.the haybails might also have helped.

the spotlights where the exit from the southern parking lot met the main road were blinding.when you turned out you couldnt see a thing.
the spots could have been horizontal-to light the road,not vertical.

some programing hiccups-kenny wayne shephard against fogerty-TWICE. hard for KWS,who could do with more exposure.weddings,parties
etc i enjoyed but thought they were too far up the bill.IMO.

only small things in what i thought was the best bluesfest so far-and thats after 23 of em.CONGRATS BLUESFEST-GREAT JOB.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
bambambam
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:13:44 PM

Best Bluesfest ever, I think I'm up around ten now,,,

Johnny Langs first night was "SUBLIME" literally,,,
I could hear both clear as day (but I was sitting at the back)

Perhaps a permanent soundproof highway fence between the two big tents,
(Let the council pay for it, Bluesfest makes Byron heaps of money)

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
nickfromsydney
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:06:30 PM

I do have a suggestion... and it's probably been brought up before...

bus tickets - like drink tickets, buy them in bulk and in advance

much easier to fork over $40 at the beginning of the weekend rather than scrounging for $4 change every morning and every evening.
Dan...
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:32:43 PM

it would make the lines move much faster too.

The poster formerly known as Dan
drwildare
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:26:53 PM

bambambam wrote:

Perhaps a permanent soundproof highway fence between the two big tents,
(Let the council pay for it, Bluesfest makes Byron heaps of money)

Sorry Johnny Langs first night was Passable and it was hardly best bluesfest ever. Johnny was not on at the
same time as sublime on his first night. So that must have been his second.The Sunday line up in my opinion
was one of the lowest quality sundays we have seen. found it hard o find an act I wanted to see on Sunday.
I guess its a matter of taste. However Donovan was brilliant. I still want to know why only 75 minutes when
Angelique Kidjo got 90 minutes. Dont get me wrong angelique deserved 90 but Donovan deserved at least as much
time. Soundbleed still needs to be fixed big time. Having said that if you sat on the left hand side of crossroads the
bleed wasnt as bad. Please no canvas barrier the length of crossroads near mojo having the opening meant we got
some airflow which made the tent wonderful.

The Number 1 Ticket holder of Bluesfest 2013.

The Dr is in the House
pod2006
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:43:17 PM

I agree with nick from sydney re bus tickets. smaller crowds than '11 and took 4 x as long to get home in '12. very disorganised. No forward planning of the crowds for the buses. Whether there were less this year.

a contingency re injured people needing to be moved to ambulances- those carts they have at league games when someone has serious injury would/should be used to get person to ambulance, rather than ambulance to person.

jphall42
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:05:12 PM

My fifth festival and enjoyed this one the most, not sure why but think the weather helped...... enabled people to sit outside which meant less crowded tents, the music was great, excellent food and a great vibe.

My only "constructive" feedback.
1) Buses - tickets should be pre-purchased + management of the lines for the bus on the Thursday night was a nightmare (this improved over the festival).
2) Sound quality - I was embarrassed at what Seasick Steve had to endure....especially with god on bass + The Crossroad and Mojo should be further apart and at different angles.

Like I said, my favorite festival so far and I will be back, keep up the good work.
rexrose
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:17:04 PM

I thought that it was a great 5 days. The main problem seems to be my age as I find it harder each year as the end gets near.
Don't quite know how Yes made it on the list but as I am an old fan I'm not complaining.
One small suggestion would be to add an asterist (?) (I know that spelling is wrong but what the) to the names on the programme of those artists appearing only once.
Thank you Bluesfest for and absolutely fantasic line up. Even if you didn't like the act I don't think you could argue about the quality.
And what bargain priced tickets for next year. If they didn't sell out I don't know why.
rosco1
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:09:13 PM

1. relax the driving out rules for the mornings at least, not much to do until the festival gets goin'
2. allow access to the beach for the mornings .. a track to the beach so you get an early morning swim would be fantastic on hot mornings, you could even set up a drink stand and make some more money !!
dtucker
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:36:50 PM

I also think this was the best bluesfest I've been to (out of 10 altogether). Certainly the great weather helped and it seemed a lot less crowded which made it much more comfortable - I'm not sure if this was better crowd management (I think the chair policy certainly led to much more room in the tents) or lower numbers (hope not as the organisers certainly deserved maximum support for this year's offering). The line-up in my opinion was one of the best and consistently good, although I agree sunday was a bit below par. I found that thursday and saturday I had to miss acts I really wanted to see because of clashes but on sunday I was searching for someone to see. If I was doing the programming I would have shuffled it around but obviously others' tastes would have been quite different and the clashes might not have existed for them. To be honest I didn't really mind having one day when there was less acts I wanted to see, I had a late start and an early finish on sunday and that probably helped maximise my enjoyment on monday.

The only bad thing I found about the bluesfest was the stench when they are (presumably) emptying the toilets. I know this has to be done when it is needed and I really don't have any ideas what could be done about it but it would be great if it could be done after the music is over or in the mornings. It really was unbearable a couple of times and I actually had to leave and go to another tent. I think I probably have a better then average sense of smell so it may not be problem for others, maybe I should try to catch a cold for next year.
nevnbev
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:00:47 PM

1.Could the big screens in Mojo and Crossroads be raised a couple of feet higher? It's still often pretty hard to see the bottom of them if you happen to be down the back.
2. Glad that smoking is not allowed in the tents, but could there also be an exclusion zone for some metres around the tents? Smoke still blows directly into the tent from smokers immediately outside. Plus, it would be nice if non smokers could get some smoke free air outside the tent also. Smokers could still duck out for a smoke.
mgwfall
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:51:38 PM

Position of people filming for the screens.

Firstly, would the picture on the screens be noticeably worse if the filmers were postioned at the very edge of the stage not about a third the way in (or sometimes even closer to the middle) from the edge as they mostly seemed to be?

Who's in control of their actions? Bluesfest Admin, who may make decisions looking at the bigger picture, or are the filmers independent & their only focus is on filming for the screens, with no thought to the impact on the view of the punters up front.

If they can't move to the edge of the stage, a couple of suggestions

-Have different height platforms for the cameras, so the taller filmers can be on lower platforms.
-Roster staff so the shorter filmers film the more packed sets, where people up front really don't have the option to move so the camera isn't blocking their view.

I'm sure the 2 tallest blokes were filming Dawes & Fogerty on the left side of stage. See the attached photos....this is just wrong & not fair on the people up front.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff488/mgwfall/Samples/P1010985.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff488/mgwfall/Samples/P1010980.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff488/mgwfall/Samples/P1010959.jpg
bambambam
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:48:14 PM

drwildare wrote:
bambambam wrote:

Sorry Johnny Langs first night was Passable and it was hardly best bluesfest ever. Johnny was not on at the
same time as sublime on his first night. So that must have been his second.

The Dr is in the House

Actually he was "drwildare" Look on the schedule chart again for Friday night,,,

MOJO 17.00 Sublime with Rome (60 mins) ---- CROSSROADS 17.30 Jonny Lang (75 mins)

Sublime were very very loud and Lang had lots of dynamics happening in his sets,
To be fair I was at the back of the tent, and it gave me an excuse to see him again,

He wasn't everyone's "cup of tea" but I noticed Ray Beadle said during his last set that Jonny Lang was,
"the best blues guitarist he has seen at Bluesfest for over ten years" and I totally agree with that statement.

(I was wondering if he was refering to "The Palidins" actually)

I also loved Lucinda Williams sets but people complained about them too "WHY???"
Maybe it's because I have never seen these artists before so I had no expectations,,,

Kudos on getting those first tickets,,,,,,,,,,,,

drwildare
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:04:11 PM

Quality of the line up did seem down on previous years at least in my opinion even though there
was a best ever act in Donovan. He was simply wonderful. I didnt see Lucinda this year but I did
see her last time and she totally disappointed then. I had reports from some I trust very much that
Lucinda was sub par apparently she had a cold on the first night and she supposedly had trouble with
her earpiece on the second night but as a "professional" she should have been able to overcome these
problems. I didnt have trouble with the bleed for Johnny Lang but he definately hasnt been the best
bluesguitarist at the fest in the 8 years I have been going. Beverly Guitar Watson, Bonnie Rait and
Joe Bonamassa all outplayed him.

As I said I struggled to fiund acts that were worth sitting through on the Sunday and thats been a rare
occurence for me. I also found it strange that this year the gates were closed until 5 to 11 previous years
we were able to line up to go through the ticket check area by 10:15 - 10:30 at latest I guess there were
some budget cuts.

The absence of the third screen oustide Mojo was a puzzle but I guess that was another budget cut.

Overall it was a competent fest but definately not up with the best evers.

The Dr is in the House
nickfromsydney
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:44:09 PM

It was definitely the best fest for me overall... Seemed a lot more chilled and I had some great finds... I was glad there were no Ben Harpers, Bob Dylans, The Fray or any crap like that to bring in the squillions.

but like you said in your first sentence... it's all opinion - I mean, I didn't even see/don't care for Donovan, so he certainly wasn't a 'best ever act' in my books :P
anitra
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 7:35:29 AM

Just a comment on Lucinda. I saw most of her first show and was pretty unimpressed. I certainly expected more. My criticism is that she appeared to be pissed off and so looked like she was just going through the motions. She made a snippy comment at the beginning about how SHE had been ready to go on for ages. She then just delivered a show where she announced the name of the song, in a flat tone, delivered the song, announced the next one ... No smiles, audience engagement or apparent pleasure at being there. I suspect that she had her nose out of joint over the fact that she had a half empty tent while she was competing with noise bleed from the tent where 80% of the crowd was, listening to a band that she has probably never heard of. It looked like the Queen was not amused.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 7:52:44 AM

I did not attend Lucinda's Thursday gig because at her last Bluesfest appearance,it was a rock format.
If it had been country,I would have been interested.
I have never heard Cold Chisel but they are also described as a rock band.
I attended Fabulous Thunderbirds as they are Blues Rock,have had a number of elite musicans through their ranks over the years,and I knew that that standard would be maintained.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
dtucker
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 12:00:28 PM

Patrick, it is a shame you didn't pop in to listen to Lucinda - I think you would have enjoyed it. Doug Pettibone is back in the band and was playing beautifully. I think both performances this year were much better than those in 2009. She did perform more of her country songs and didn't do Long Way to the Top, thankfully, although for some reason she still performs Joy and Honey Bee more than any other songs. They are always popular live though but are some of her weaker songs in my opinion. She did have trouble with a cold on the thursday and had two attempts at performing Essence but had to give up but went straight on to I've Changed the Locks and nailed it. I didn't realise Essence was particularly difficult to sing but it obviously was on the night. She did it fine on saturday night though.
True, Lucinda doesn't interact much with the audience (big difference to Eilen Jewell) but I think that is because she is extremely shy - I don't take it as an "attitude" at all. She appeared to be genuinely enjoying playing, whereas in 2009 I did think she was going through the motions (that may have been due to the pretty new band line-up at that time). Steve Earl came on stage on saturday but didn't do much, he just played her guitar in one song - I would have liked to hear him sing some harmonies.

bambambam
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 6:27:51 PM

drwildare wrote:
Quality of the line up did seem down on previous years at least in my opinion even though there
was a best ever act in Donovan. He was simply wonderful.

I didnt have trouble with the bleed for Johnny Lang but he definately hasnt been the best
bluesguitarist at the fest in the 8 years I have been going. Beverly Guitar Watson, Bonnie Rait and
Joe Bonamassa all outplayed him.

The Dr is in the House

I hope Donovan is invited back next year, I only caught one song of his "Universal Soldier"
Everyone I spoke to said he was wonderful so I kick myself for not staying,,,

I must admit Joe Bonamassa was amazing and caused my wife to love the blues and buy his albums,

I think it was Lang's vocal delivery that really impressed me about his performance,,,
The people I talked to after told me they preferred his more secular, bluesy, less churchy stuff,,,

stillrockin
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 9:00:37 PM

mgwfall wrote:

Position of people filming for the screens.

Firstly, would the picture on the screens be noticeably worse if the filmers were postioned at the very edge of the stage not about a third the way in (or sometimes even closer to the middle) from the edge as they mostly seemed to be?

Who's in control of their actions? Bluesfest Admin, who may make decisions looking at the bigger picture, or are the filmers independent & their only focus is on filming for the screens, with no thought to the impact on the view of the punters up front.

If they can't move to the edge of the stage, a couple of suggestions

-Have different height platforms for the cameras, so the taller filmers can be on lower platforms.
-Roster staff so the shorter filmers film the more packed sets, where people up front really don't have the option to move so the camera isn't blocking their view.

I'm sure the 2 tallest blokes were filming Dawes & Fogerty on the left side of stage. See the attached photos....this is just wrong & not fair on the people up front.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff488/mgwfall/Samples/P1010985.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff488/mgwfall/Samples/P1010980.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff488/mgwfall/Samples/P1010959.jpg

I totally agree about filmers in the 'bouncer pit'
the promoters need to consider the punters who try to get up front more
i'm also unhappy with the vast area taken over for sound desk in the middle of the tent - lots of 'hangers on' standing in there and totally blocking about 20% of the tent behind them...suggestions:
1. raise most of the mixing crew 10ft in the air (like the lighting guys up front) so we can see under them
2. put one or 2 guys with computers in the middle and put all the heavy gear (empty boxes etc) off to the side