Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What's on in Auckland in early July? Options
dtucker
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:43:12 AM
Groups: Member

I'm after some advice from any of our Kiwi friends on the board (or anyone really).

I may be in Auckland early in July and would be interested in any advice on things to do there and any events on at that time (especially but not exclusively musical) so that I can plan my itinerary.

tia

d
johnnymac
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 11:13:49 AM

Probably a bit early to say, especially music, which seems to more or less appear rather than be announced.
The local live music scene is pretty good for all tastes.
I know Cirque de Soliel starts in July if thats your bag. The first tri-nations game is in Auckland in July, All Blacks V Australia. You would love to be there for that, wear a yellow shirt and get out alive!!!!!!! And if you are a Doggies supporter you can watch the MIGHTY WARRIORS deal to them in a home game!!!! You could vist the Rugby League museum and have a look at the Rugby League World Cup that we have!!!!!!
Outside of that nothing to report but will keep my ear to the ground!!!
It would be real cool if some music was on at the Bunker.....................just for the experience of going to it!!
donaldhp
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 3:27:10 PM
Groups: Guest

Er....what's the bunker ?
johnnymac
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:16:20 AM

The Bunker is an old gun emplacement on Mount Victoria in Devonport that was built for the impending invasion of NZ.
It is built into the mountain and gives panoramic views of the harbour and is part of a series of tunnels and other emplacements which is a bit of a tourist attraction for the North Shore of Auckland. This particular emplacement has been entrusted to the Auckland Folk Club (or some name like that) and they have turned it into a club with regular concerts.
Recently I have seen Doug McLoed and Hans Theesink there, but it is really the experience of going there. You drive up the mountain, walk up the grass tracks to the Bunker which is very small with an open fire and festooned with memorabilia of all types , musical and war memories and you sit almost on top of the artist as though it was in your lounge!!! In winter it is so hot you fry!
You get Tea and Scones at the end and just sit and natter to the performers. Then you make your way down the tracks back to the car in total darkness.
On top of that it is hosted by, and full of some extremely colourful people and always an appreciative audience.
It is open most weeks with local talent with the occasional International artist. It is way to cool and a real unique experience.
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:45:06 AM

Quote:
The Bunker is an old gun emplacement on Mount Victoria in Devonport that was built for the impending invasion of NZ.

Ha Ha Ha they didn't expect us to come in by QANTAS

http://devonportdirectory.co.nz/realmusic.htm

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
johnnymac
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:44:32 AM

We have sorted their fur out making socks and gloves................ Just need a market for their meat!!!!!
dtucker
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:12:54 PM

Possum beanies too - I picked up one in Kaikoura once - my favourite beanie ever.

thanks for the info Johhnymac. Don't think I can hang around until the 18th although I would love to see the Wallabies get a win at Eden Park. I'll be in NZ from around 4th to the 8th July but will tack on some extra days depending on what's on. seeing the warriors beat the Bulldogs on the 10th is appealing.

The bunker sounds very interesting so certainly hope there's something on while I'm there. Do they have a website or some way of finding out what's on there?

dtucker
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:26:25 PM

oops didn't notice the link at the bottom of Greybeard's post - I was too scared by the possum (interestingly the reason I'm going to Auckland is to talk about possum feeding deterrents in eucalypts so the thread took an appropriate turn). Thanks for that.
jafa99
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 8:42:26 PM

johnnymac wrote:
Just need a market for their meat!!!!!

dtucker wrote:
(interestingly the reason I'm going to Auckland is to talk about possum feeding deterrents in eucalypts so the thread took an appropriate turn).

Turns within turns. Possums for tucker. Tucker for possums. Possums for Tucker. :-)
johnnymac
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:55:55 AM

Bob, I know we meet at all the concerts but I didn't see you at the Wild Foods festival!!!!
jafa99
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 6:15:19 PM

johnnymac wrote:
Bob, I know we meet at all the concerts but I didn't see you at the Wild Foods festival!!!!

No, I wasn't there. But I didn't see you at Mission Bay this year. Best new local band (new to me anyway) was the Jukes, followed by Midnight Blues Band.