Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Thursday report please Options
jaaaaa
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 7:21:53 AM
Groups: Member

For those of us who can't attend all days - can we please hear about the highlights - so we can share the love.
desmondoc
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 7:54:08 AM

Also any radio stations giving coverage? Have a great one :)
jepthedog
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 9:01:34 AM

Cold Chisel started a bit rocky as the sound, particularly on Mossy's guitar was a bit quiet and Don Walker's piano wasn't always turned up enough in the mix. But Jimmy, dressed in leather pants, and the band gave it their all. They put everything into that performance. Highlights for me were: Choirgirl, Khe Sahn (with audience singing every word) and Forever Now which was clear and note perfect. New drummer Charlie Drayton is superb in a band that should never have been absent from the stage for so many years. Also caught local Irish singer Mick McHugh and his infectious brand of folk music. Had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand
jaaaaa
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 9:12:57 AM

desmondoc wrote:
Also any radio stations giving coverage? Have a great one :)

Think abc (at least digital radio) is covering from 4pm Fri. Not sure continuous or crosses
freexone
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 7:59:15 PM

How many of their new tracks ( from the album ) did Chisel play?
freexone
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 8:02:11 PM

jepthedog wrote:
Cold Chisel started a bit rocky as the sound, particularly on Mossy's guitar was a bit quiet and Don Walker's piano wasn't always turned up enough in the mix.

Didn't any of the bands have a chance to do a sound-check yesterday morning?
waffles
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 10:14:27 AM

eilan jewell was a highlight-had to catch her twice. and it was her birthday..and 4 guys want to marry her.
seth lakeman-brilliant these 2 were new to me and a great surprise.
david bromberg i could listen to for hours.did he really write-it takes a lot to laugh,it takes a train to cry? i never knew.but he does have some great history.
john hiatt was great ,caught both sets.probably my pick so far.

the ziggy marley mix was shit!!!! bass and drums way to high and diferent from left hand side to right hand side. and the sound bleed was the worse ive ever heard..taking away the grandstands that acted as a buffer
doesnt help. bled right over to jambalaya.

thursday was the best thursday lineup for years.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
dtucker
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 9:44:10 AM

Quote- waffles wrote
david bromberg i could listen to for hours.did he really write-it takes a lot to laugh,it takes a train to cry? i never knew.but he does have some great history.

No I'm sure it is a Dylan song.

Have to agree with Waffles on John Hiatt and Eilen Jewell. Add Lucinda (twice), Justin Townes Earle and Steve Earle as being among my favourites (all very predictable, I know, but I think this year's performances have been the best I've seen these acts perform at bluesfest). Of the acts I hadn't seen before, I really enjoyed James Vincent McMorrow and so did all the audience judging from the huge reaction he got both times.
However, I haven't seen one weak act this bluesfest - it's been a fantastic line-up and my only problem was been clashes (and sound bleed of course but even that has it's upside - I couldn't wait any longer for John Fogerty to start last night so went to see Lucinda - got to hear his first two songs from inside Crossroads). Joanne Shaw Taylor rocked last night - even better than the previous appearance of hers I saw here and would strongly recommend all blues fans try to catch one or both of her remaining shows.
deanoc
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 10:45:59 AM

So far so good, Seasick Steve yesterday was great in the face of diversity with front of house sound down for 20 min. Hes in the crowd telling stories ,luv the puppy one,then to have the Wolfmother boys join the stage and John Paul Young on base playing a Seasick tune. Crowd loved it. Trombone Shorty fantastic as ever, Trip down memory lane with Chisel ,sound was spot on,didnt go much on their new stuff , they seem to labour through them. Buddy as always the true entertainer but I think he found the 2010 set list stuck on the back of his guitar but i wont nitpick luv the legend. G3 Takes guitar hero to a whoe new level , finally got see Satriani yeah! Dave Bromberg, Dtuckers right Joanne Shaw Taylor brought Jambalaya crashin down awsome display of blues/rock and its not just caus shes got a custom Les Paul !! Mr Beadle tad reserved cranked it up at the end though, hes next set will rock. In love with the beautiful Anjelique Kidjo. Yann Tierson highlight aswell.
jepthedog
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 8:45:32 AM

Other highlights for me: The Pogues, just to see Shane McGowan shuffle out, couldn't understand a word when he talked, but when he sang....Alabama 3 in APRA were absolutely hypnotic to watch even though they wore sunglasses at night and seemed up themselves, Tijuana Cartel from the Gold Coast are great and play again in APRA tonight (Monday), Josh Pyke sounded fantastic; had to go see Richard Clapton even though he is a dag, Girls on the Avenue and Deep Water are classics "Sunday, drivers cruising round, wish they'd all go back to town"....The Specials were a lot of fun...I agree with some other comments about Eileen Jewell...what a voice
jepthedog
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 8:48:55 AM

And Chisel played about four new songs, they were greeted with polite applause and more importantly the band seemed happy to play them with their new drummer. But for me the pick of their old stuff including Flame Trees, Choirgirl (crystal clear and when Jimmy steps that voice back a notch) and Forever Now, which just came out perfectly. Been to four out of five days and haven't seen anything to touch Chisel that first night
waffles
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 10:05:18 AM

JONNY LANG-i cant remember seeing him years ago,but man the guys got so much soul especially on-lie to me.
ROSIE LEDET-infectious zydeco.got this old fart dancing.
round mountain girls-great start to the day-is it just coincidence that bands we recommend on the forum get a start-i love it.
and great to see the harmonica player the met 2 nights before get a start.

i think seasick steve should change the name to JOHN PAUL JONES AND SEASICK STEVE. jpjs input was outstanding.my 4th time for seasick steve,and the act hasent changed in 4? years.sorry but that hillbilly thing wears a bit thin after a while.

Bee
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 12:14:13 PM

Yeah, saw Seasick Steve twice mainly because John Paul Jones was playing with him. Ugh, deano1212, please correct 'John Paul Young' in your post... to 'John Paul JONES' - there is no comparison!! (And how good would it be if JPJ, Robert Plant AND Jimmy Page came next year? The almost Led Zep show! Hint to Peter Noble...?)
Enjoyed the trip down memory lane with Donovan, but was a bit disappointed in Crosby Stills & Nash ... Nash was the best vocally, the less said about Stephen Stills' voice the better, hmmm... I left Earth Wind & Fire for the last half hour to see C, S & N and almost wish I hadn't (E,W & F were great!) Sorry to the die-hard CS&N fans, but I think it was a bit below par...
Trombone Shorty was brilliant, and Joanne Shaw Taylor - what a pleasant surprise, enjoyed her a lot.
The best 'new artist' for me was Great Big Sea - FANTASTIC!!!!! If you haven't seen them, go out there NOW - they're on Mojo @ 1.30pm, I'd be going again, but don't have a Monday ticket unfortunately.
Overall enjoyable Bluesfest this year - plus NO RAIN!
drwildare
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:10:34 AM

Highlight Must have Been Donovan OMG only performer at this Bluesfest where I said is the set over He Just Rocked!

The Dr is in the House
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:55:37 AM

and you met coke bloke..always good to see him

drwildare
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:08:47 AM

Yup Waffles but thats a highlight that goes without mentioning.

The Dr is in the House
bambambam
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:11:02 AM

Johnny Lang was """AMAZING""" He sold the guts out of every song
His encore where he mimicked an old 78 was superb

Lucinda and Steve's encore, another magic moment

Brian Setzer's set was awesome, I left just before the end of it and missed the best part "DAMMIT"

Rosie Ledet was wonderful too and the weird thing was,
for most of these artists there were "bugger all" people in the actual tents

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous