Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

BYRONSHIRE COUNCIL DRAFT POLICY ON MUSIC EVENTS Options
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:20:41 PM
Groups: Member

http://www.echo.net.au/newsitem/music-policy-redraft-may-still-be-overturned-state

As a Greenie,I agree with Peter Noble.
I think this is a bizarre proposal.
I would suggest that businesses in Byron Bay do a roaring trade at Easter.
We are in an economic recession,with many areas suffering a downturn in tourism trade.
With the rents that businesses in leasehold premises are paying,I do not think the anti vote is coming from them.
Is the shire spoilt because 95 % of the backpackers who visit Aussie,go there regardless.
In regard to those not running their own businesses,the reality is that if you live in such a busy tourist area,crowds are a fact of life.
As a pommie plumber formerly based in Queenstown said to me,he moved to Ashburton because in Queenstown "Everyone was always on holiday" and he "wanted to live in a normal town"
if you live in the Byron Shire,you are faced with the same scenario.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
freexone
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:22:45 PM

Bring back 'Fast Bucks' & his sidekick.. ( what's his name? )
JV would soon have them running for cover.
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:38:08 PM

It does seem to lack sense to me. I'd be curious to know what the local people in general thought of it. Growth is not necessarily a wonderful thing for a small community. Having said that though I also think that councils Australia over, through their very nature, all have one problem in common. There's usually a few really bright councillors, a few complete idiots who really shouldn't be there, and the in-betweens who will follow whoever puts up the best argument regradless of the logic or the commonsense. But I suppose when you think about it, it's just a reflection of the communities that vote them in. As long as they leave Bluesfest alone.
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:51:48 PM

fast bucks hasent gone anywhere. he still tries to keep the bastards honest.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:01:13 PM

Anyone who has experienced the traffic standstill on occasion over the Easter Weekend at Byron should have some sympathy for the Councils concerns, I'm lead to believe that Bluesfest is one of the events allowed, due in part to the maturity of the audience, It seems that these rules work in favour of Bluesfest remaining not a Big Day Out so I'm comfortable with their direction. But hay I'm often outside the square.
It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few
virtues.
-- A. Lincoln

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:15:55 PM

greybeard wrote:
due in part to the maturity of the audience, .
]

Let's just hope they don't read all the threads
freexone
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:30:01 PM

waffles wrote:
fast bucks hasent gone anywhere. he still tries to keep the bastards honest.

Thanks Waffles, I have known that man for a long long time, so it's good to hear that he's still jumping..
Did the first ..recordings? in his new home-studio back in.. ? @ ?
colinsid
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:20:26 PM

How are they going to control it, by this I mean is it 1st come 1st serve or a lottery. If say Splendour put in an application for 2 seperate events early does that mean that Bluesfest misses out or vice versa.
You can only sort through this on an individual case by case basis & say yes or no.
Certainly Bluesfest should be able to continue indefinitely & not have to apply every year, unless it wants to increase numbers, days or mamnagement change. It is established & has been operating for years without issues & applying every year is a total waste of ratepayers money, & part of our ticket price as well.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:31:18 PM

i recently watched the glastonbury movie and they seemed to have problems with the local council from day one.it seems each year the council finds something to fine them for.

freexone
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:16:24 PM

If BluesFest. were anywhere near the size of Glastonbury, then the council might have a point.

Back in the 80's they decided to keep their town small looking, (we all loved it) catering for about 25,000
( I was a resident back then; we lived right behind the post office - it's a bloody telephone exchange now!)
and now they whinge when 100,000 tourists turn up to see this famous quaint surfie/hippie-town;
thus ruining the very point they came to see.
Byron has been loved to death! - It's gone well past the time when you could have possibly saved it.
It totally lacks the infrastructure to cope with the bi-annual influx of visitors.
Last year it took over an hour to get from Ewingsdale to the railway-crossing on the busy Wednesday after the show.
And the nearest parking spot was 2klm from town!

BluesFest. is well away from the town, so I fail to see what the problem can be.
It is a peaceful event. There are no problems with excessive alcohol consumption, and the majority are responsible mature adults.
Many people are going to come to Byron Bay at Easter just as they alway have.
It broke my heart to see it after 30 years, and I doubt that I will get into Byron again.
Mullumbimby will do me fine, It is still a fabulous little town (but somebody has to bomb the new roundabout)
bambambam
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:25:33 PM

For the last two Bluesfests we never went anywhere near Byron town,
Shooting backwards and forwards on the highway from the Goldie,,

This time we are camping and are planing on going in only once,
on the Wednesday nite for dinner,,,,

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
regards
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:05:32 PM

We rent a house in Byron each year,get the skuttle to and from fest now, used to walk. And spend lots of money in Byron as we do Wednesday to Wednesday.

We try hard to spend money at local places, and are greatly saddened to see crap chain stores turning up in town etc, and joints like Bay Burgers fall by the wayside.

As long as Tom keeps the Rails the same, I will probably keep staying in Byron.
drwildare
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 6:59:46 AM

freexone wrote:
If BluesFest. were anywhere near the size of Glastonbury, then the council might have a point.

Back in the 80's they decided to keep their town small looking, (we all loved it) catering for about 25,000 ( I was a resident back then )
and now they whinge when 100,000 tourists turn up to see this famous quaint surfie-town;
thus ruining the very point they came to see.
Byron has been loved to death! - It's gone well past the time when you could have possibly saved it.
It totally lacks the infrastructure to cope with the bi-annual influx of visitors.
Last year it took over an hour to get from Ewingsdale to the railway-crossing on the busy Wednesday after the show.
And the nearest parking spot was 2klm from town!

BluesFest. is well away from the town, so I fail to see what the problem can be.
It is a peaceful event. There are no problems with excessive alcohol consumption, and the majority are responsible mature adults.
Many people are going to come to Byron Bay at Easter just as they alway have.
It broke my heart to see it after 30 years, and I doubt that I will get into Byron again.
Mullumbimby will do me fine, It is still a fabulous little town (but somebody has to bomb the new roundabout)

Sorry Free I would bomb the roundabout but its against our code of conduct.

The Dr is in the House
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 9:24:56 AM
Groups: Administration

The Byron Shire Events - read MUSIC policy - ONLY restricts ALL Music events to 2 yearly - doesn't matter if they are mutli or single day events - where over 6,000 persons attend.
You CAN have sporting events, food & wine festivals, cane toad races, religous conversions in fact ANY type of other event that is not music at ANY level of attendance
without a problem
This is blatant discrimination against music lovers, and says we are not acceptable to councillors - who are the only Greens majority council in Australia.
What does this really say about people who love music.
Be angry about this stupid policy - Be VERY ANGRY
Bboard Admin
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 12:15:36 PM

http://billinudgel.com

I assume it is this which has triggered off the issue.
Bluesfest has been operating for many years at its present level.
Nothing has changed.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
waffles
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 1:56:33 PM

i find that objection to splendour very frustrating and can remember a lot of the same objections-flood,fire,trample the bush etc mounted when bluesfest wanted to move to tyagarah. by the same residents associations.and that fool with tyagarah anti progress association who
somehow got my home phone number and rang me.i think he was sorry.
seriously some of these objecting parties are 50 klms away from the splendour site.
i think bluesfest has proved them wrong.

SO THE BYRON WRITERS FESTIVAL COMES UNDER A DIFFERENT CATEGORY?
could this be because the attendees are more ...respectable..?

freexone
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 10:16:59 PM

Something tells me the councilers on Byron Shire Council are a 'very' pale green these days.
Some of them have obviously been there much too long..

Maybe the mayor thinks she can turn back time to when Byron was not overcrowded etc..
That horse has bolted long ago.
I'm afraid she has lost the plot..
Apart from Fast Bucks; surely there must be some other 'independants' with reasonable environmental credentials?
Just by the way - { Does anyone remember "The Feelers" { at the top pub & elsewhere? or Booglegum at Possum Creek? }
reddragon
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:28:33 PM

Yes I agree, this is definitely blatant discrimination against music lovers. Stop enjoying yourselves people.

How about Bluesfest capture the feelings of attendees this year with a petition. You could have one at the info tent or set one up on the web site.

It could be handed into the council whether submissions have closed or not just to make them aware of what the people they represent think.
reddragon
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:09:28 PM

An idea:
Bumper stickers:
I Bluesfest and I vote.
and/or
I love music festivals and I vote.
reddragon
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 9:35:58 PM

Hey Bluesfest Admin,

How about setting up an online petition on the Bluesfest web site and your facebook page, where all us music lovers can just click a button to register our disapproval of the Byronshire council on draft policy on music events.

One international use one and I think it works for them in getting petitions together to present to world governments.

http://www.one.org/c/international/actnow/3835/