Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

No Roger Daltrey?? Options
timcook123
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:56:01 PM

Groups: Member

Are the rumours true and if so who will be the replacement headliner?

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
hridayan
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:11:40 PM

Pretty Dissapointed about this. It may be too late to get another headline act, but maybe they can snag someone - Steve Hillage would be pretty good. Has no tour dates over easter that I could find.

If you're not having fun, you're missing the point
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:59:26 PM

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/roger-daltrey-cancels-2012-australian-tour-bluesfest-offer-refunds/

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:08:04 PM

Fortunately I'm not very dissapointed. I had him in little print on my schedule which means I had no intention of seeing him. I liked some of the Who music but never liked the Tommy album. I can appreciate some people being upset but I would have been much more upset over some of the others being cancelled. Also it makes me a tad angry to read that 6 weeks out he's discovered that he can't make it because of unforeseen scheduling conflict. Did he or his agent forget that he had a European tour or something. Admitedly that sound a bit narky but perhaps someone needs to give him one of those yearly planners or something. "unforeseen scheduling conflict" just sounds so unreal. Must be a headache for bluesfest to reschedule. Now they need to come up with something else we'll all love.
YosemiteBaz
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:13:25 PM

Hey glenboss - from memory cds were a little cheaper at the festival. At least the ones I got were anyway, others may have had a different experience.....
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:25:22 PM

Your choices are...

Yes
Maceo Parker
Melbourne Ska Orchestra
Eagle & the Worm
Either Watussi or Tribali

No additional act is required
No additional act will be booked

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:34:47 PM

Thank you YosemiteBaz
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:50:01 PM

glenboss wrote:
Fortunately I'm not very dissapointed. I had him in little print on my schedule which means I had no intention of seeing him. I liked some of the Who music but never liked the Tommy album. I can appreciate some people being upset but I would have been much more upset over some of the others being cancelled. Also it makes me a tad angry to read that 6 weeks out he's discovered that he can't make it because of unforeseen scheduling conflict. Did he or his agent forget that he had a European tour or something. Admitedly that sound a bit narky but perhaps someone needs to give him one of those yearly planners or something. "unforeseen scheduling conflict" just sounds so unreal. Must be a headache for bluesfest to reschedule. Now they need to come up with something else we'll all love.

I never liked Tommy, and I always found Roger to be comfortably the least enjoyable member of The Who as a performer. But of course there will be those who were really looking forward to it, so it's a bummer for them. It's kind of a given for festivals unfortunately. It could technically just have easily been an act that no-one noticed drop off the bill. And if he was the only reason you were going, you'd have only had a 1 day ticket, which they are offering to refund.

A replacement act would be nice, mainly because a high profile name added at the last minute is always a buzz, but I wouldn't go expecting it.

Whilst the Ranger has opted to state his opinions as fact, I'd suggest there's probably merit in his closing points.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:31:57 AM

has daltry cancelled japan as well?
i think the truth should be revealed.
maybe a job for tracy grimreaper(aca)...and we want lots of tears.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:25:06 AM

waffles wrote:
i think the truth should be revealed.

Would it do anyone any good (especially Roger) if it was just poor sales on the side dates? Or if his wife wouldn't let him on the road? Or he has a venereal disease (that would more likely have been Entwistle, back in the day)?

That said, easy for me to say "so what" given it doesn't affect me....
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:25:47 AM

As everything is very expensive in Japan,I would hazard a guess that a well patronised Japanese set of gigs is good coin.
However if it is in Japan that the ticket sales are not good,it being the potentially lucrative portion of a tour,that might well explain it all.

I have forgotten whom the Magic Numbers replaced in 2007.
They just fortunately were available to be slotted in addition to their already planned visit downunder.

In 2010 when Di Meola cancelled,Friday in Crossroads was reduced to 7 sets,with Beck being pulled back from 10.30pm to 9pm as the final set.
Unfortunately with Imelda May on at 8.45pm in Jambalaya,her planned liason with Beck was considerably shortened.
But these things happen.

While having two threads operating on this topic is freedom of speech,it would have made more sense to have it all on one.

Dan...
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:22:02 AM

roger daltrey has cancelled his appearance at bluesfest and his entire australian tour
he was a big act at the festival
something something something
it is mandatory to have two threads on the topic

The poster formerly known as Dan
glenboss
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:35:33 PM

Good news everyone. I've just solved the problem and announced it to Samplehead on the Van Halen thread. David Bromberg just needs to do a third set. See, problems are just solutions waiting to happen. Everyone can relax now.
waffles
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 9:21:56 AM

no roger-but will there be a SUBSTITUTE.

couldnt resist.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
colinsid
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 9:58:05 AM

Waffles who are you, hiding behind blue eyes & looking like some happy jack, to say there will be no substitute, we want the new boss & hope he is better than the old boss so we won't get fooled again.
It maybe that the kids are alright & can see for miles & miles but I am a boy who has had enough of my generation & their young man blues it's something I can't explain so we should join together & catch a magic bus to visit Acid Queen then go on an amazing journey anyway, anyhow, anywhere I choose.
eileenk9
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 10:41:02 AM

I actually bought one day tickets for Monday mainly to see Daltrey, so I am disappointed.

Someone I know from another music forum seems to think the cancellation has something to do with Daltrey's Teenage Cancer Trust shows at the Royal Albert Hall this year.

Apparently the dates are 28th March - 3rd April.
colinsid
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 11:08:28 AM

Does it really matter what the reason is, he ain't coming & that's that.

Interesting that I made a 3rd Daltrey cancellation topic yesterday as a joke as there is way too much usless speculation, & it appears to have been deleted, cool.

Still no official email from Bluesfest though, so a lot of people won't know yet.
eileenk9
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 11:17:14 AM

Well it's made me feel better about things knowing that he hasn't cancelled just because he doesn't feel like coming to Australia and the Teenage Cancer Trust is a worthy cause. As I said before Daltrey was the main drawcard for me buying tickets for the Monday. I'm still keeping my Monday tickets though. Looks like YES is now number 1 act in the Mojo Tent for Monday night. I think I remember a hit song they had in the 80s. :)

Marie5
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 12:51:05 PM

think b/fest team should really pull out all the stops and get a headline replacement.

was just reading that Reeve Carney is starting a project with John Daversa - how about an invite for these two guys. would be wonderful

paddle faster I hear banjo music ..............
fire462
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:03:25 PM

eileenk9 wrote:
Well it's made me feel better about things knowing that he hasn't cancelled just because he doesn't feel like coming to Australia and the Teenage Cancer Trust is a worthy cause. As I said before Daltrey was the main drawcard for me buying tickets for the Monday. I'm still keeping my Monday tickets though. Looks like YES is now number 1 act in the Mojo Tent for Monday night. I think I remember a hit song they had in the 80s. :)

eileenk9 , have a listen to Yes's album Close To The Edge from the early '70s.. A true classic. Rick Wakeman on keyboards/Synth will have you spellbound live!! trust me