Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Get Political Vote NOW Options
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:09:23 PM

Groups: Member

It is unimaginable that any foundation as prestigious as The GRAMMY's would fail to recognize the genre of music called Blues. You can help. Go to bluesrevue.com and sign the petition "Give Blues A Voice." Your favorite bands will appreciate the support. In the immortal words of the iconic Blues musician Willie Dixon, "Blues is the roots, everything else is the fruits."

Give Blues Its Voice! Click here http://bluesrevue.com/give-blues-a-voice/ to read the petition!
I recommend you also tick the second box if you do not already receive their newsletter.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
skot20_58
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:40:58 PM

Prestigious??? The Grammys are a joke. Bunch of old no nothing dinosaurs.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
repete
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:15:23 PM

greybeard wrote:
It is unimaginable that any foundation as prestigious as The GRAMMY's would fail to recognize the genre of music called Blues. You can help. Go to bluesrevue.com and sign the petition "Give Blues A Voice." Your favorite bands will appreciate the support. In the immortal words of the iconic Blues musician Willie Dixon, "Blues is the roots, everything else is the fruits."

Give Blues Its Voice! Click here http://bluesrevue.com/give-blues-a-voice/ to read the petition!
I recommend you also tick the second box if you do not already receive their newsletter.

Thanks GB....done :)

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:39:00 AM

I'm really surprised you guys actually take the Grammys seriously.

I guess you just don't know some people.

Dear Skot,
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:29:20 AM

The genre categories at the Grammys have far more validity than the "pop" ones. Just like whoever wins best cinematography at the Oscars has typically shot a fantastic looking film.

Obviously it is still a political process, even in the less known categories. But it does mean increased public profile for the winner, and blues acts can use all they can get in that regard.
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:04:42 AM

Here Here, Good Point Scottm!
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:19:43 AM
Groups: Administration

It was such a joy to see Terrance Simien bring his Grammny to Bluesfest 4 years ago.
His pride was infectous
He was the winner of the first EVER Zydeco/Cajun Grammy - which was dropped by the National Recording Arts & Sicence group who put on the Grammy Awards after only 4 years aspart of a rationalisation process wherein they dropped a whole slew of Grammy Awards for 'minority' categories last year.
Whilst it is doubtful Blues wil EVER suffer such a humiliation - it would in my opinion, be a much better crusade for the Blues Revue - which covers Zydeco - to take this up and help to restore the Zydeco/Cajun Grammny Award.
Believe me, to win a Grammy is a great source of pride, and a great career boost - even to be nominated for one is.
Sincerely
BBoard Admin
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:43:06 AM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
It was such a joy to see Terrance Simien bring his Grammny to Bluesfest 4 years ago.
His pride was infectous
He was the winner of the first EVER Zydeco/Cajun Grammy - which was dropped by the National Recording Arts & Sicence group who put on the Grammy Awards after only 4 years aspart of a rationalisation process wherein they dropped a whole slew of Grammy Awards for 'minority' categories last year.
Whilst it is doubtful Blues wil EVER suffer such a humiliation - it would in my opinion, be a much better crusade for the Blues Revue - which covers Zydeco - to take this up and help to restore the Zydeco/Cajun Grammny Award.
Believe me, to win a Grammy is a great source of pride, and a great career boost - even to be nominated for one is.
Sincerely
BBoard Admin

I'm perplexed doesn't blues fest state and I quote "we are an anti pop festival" ??????

Or is that just a marketing gimmick???

Dear Skot,
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:56:05 AM

skot20_58 wrote:
I'm perplexed doesn't blues fest state and I quote "we are an anti pop festival" ??????

Or is that just a marketing gimmick???

I don't think you are grasping the extent of the Grammy awards.

I couldn't be bothered to count them, but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grammy_Award_categories

If you want to associate every category on that list with some pre-ordained notion of "pop music", then go right ahead, but surely it is evident that there is more to it than just the glitzy TV front end.

I think I recall from previous posts that you are at least a part time JJJ listener? Apologies if I'm mistaken. In any case, I would suggest that a large chunk of the JJJ playlist would be artists who outsell the majority of nominated performers across the genre categories at the Grammys. That being the case, JJJ is closer to being "pop" than the Grammys. That is a fairly churlish argument on my part admittedly, but I make it only to illustrate a point.

In the case of the Terrence Simien award, you have a tiny label that came about on the back of the Blues Festival, that has managed to achieve worldwide industry recognition. That's kind of a big deal.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:26:46 AM
Groups: Administration

as the old saying goes - take a Bex and a good lie down Skot.
what does the Grammys and the recognition it gives artists from minor genres have to do with Bluesfest ?
Or if anyone from the festival lists an opinion - do you see red if it does not tally with yours ?
Show me one artist - from any genre, who does not list his Grammy win - or nomination in his bio.
Perhaps you also need to be made aware that NARAS - the voting body for The Grammys membership is a voting group of peers - others who are actively involved in the recording industry.
There is no other award in music which carries anywhere near the prestige of winning a Grammy.
Bboard Admin
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:56:08 PM

On the 2001 DVD Brian Setzer Orchestra "Live In Japan",before playing the jazz standard "Caravan" Brian proudly announces that they won a Grammy with it.
They also won a Grammy for their performance of the standard "Sleepwalk."
After watching Setzer,Kirchen,Beck and Marvin perform this song,it is difficult to pick a favourite.
All have their own style.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
repete
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:14:17 PM

skot20_58 wrote:
Prestigious??? The Grammys are a joke. Bunch of old no nothing dinosaurs.

Oh Skotty.....let's make it easy for you to grasp....
2 words....Etta James

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:32:33 PM

You people should be ashamed of your selves.

Dear Skot,
repete
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:48:48 PM

skot20_58 wrote:

I'm not sure what it is you don't get....???

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
freexone
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:34:41 PM

skot20_58 wrote:

I am!..
    I'm mortified, it's a very sad moment that resonates to every tip of my soul,
The way things stand I am very likely to do a damage to ..something?
that is how profoundly upset I am.
Thinking back I am unable to recall an instance where I have been more ashamed of myself.
I am going to hold my breath until I turn a little bit bluesy - so there..
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:01:19 PM

skot20_58 wrote:

Well, I don't know what I could possibly add to that. Nothing like a well articulated case to stir lively discussion....
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:32:13 PM

ScottM wrote:
skot20_58 wrote:

Well, I don't know what I could possibly add to that. Nothing like a well articulated case to stir lively discussion....

Classic :)

Dear Skot,
pod2006
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:35:41 PM

Enjoying the long rallies, post aussie open in this post.
I am locked into that late 70's/80's grammy scene when a grammy was -rightly or wrongly- an intro to other music. So I'll request blues being a separate category...
However, Rythm and blues (R&B) was always dominated in those years by aretha or stevie wonder. I am loving that old R&B, Soul that BF has been delivering in recent years. [Quietly disappointed that BF didn't get the matermind behind Le Chic who I see is touring in a few weeks.] However the fusion/evolution of so many genres makes it really difficult to pigeon hole any artist. Take John Hiatt, ernest ranglin, EWF .
So if they don't give blues a separate category it won't stop the tide from coming in.
PS - how cruel is it to put my 70's faves (CSN) and (EWF) on at the same time. Different genres but compatible faves.
skot20_58
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 1:19:48 PM

Foo fighters Grammy for best metal performance what a joke.

Dear Skot,
Mojo_Priest
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:42:22 PM

The foo fighters metal??? Nice one Grammys what a bunch of wierdos.