Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The timetable Options
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:52:40 PM
Groups: Member

This would be one of my few real criticisms of Bluesfest. They do the program in "army speak". Honestly, if you're slightly under the weather, the lighting's not real good, and you've got to calculate army time, that's terrible. I mean, really, who thinks in army time except army people and I somehow don't think army people are the target market here. The other terrible thing is that once you've calculated the start time, it never actually listed the finish time so then you've got to calulate a possible finish time as well as calulating the start time for the other show in the other teant that you really don't want to miss. I might be wrong with this. I'm sort of certain that it was the officail Bluefest one I'm talking about here. Don't want to blame them for something that wasn't of their doing and if I owe Bluesfest an appology then consider it given. I just remember the offical site didn't have a program I thought I could use. I actually did my own colour coded program (my kids called me anal but boy, did they appreciate it when we used it). They had the Bluefest ones and I the few times we used that we found it confusing.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:17:52 PM

The little cards the hand out at the gate set it all out.
The local newspaper also has the program in the middle of it.
So does rhythms magazine.
The way they have the sets arranged in recent years,there is plenty of time between sets in each tent.
I never wear a watch so rely on looking at someone else's but have rarely had a problem getting to where I want to be at a certain time.
The sets fit into templates which are strictly adhered to.
You can tell when a set is going to end by when the next one is to start,knowing that there is the defined period between sets.
Mojo is the only tent that seems to get behind sometimes.
The other tents operate on a very regulated basis.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:31:52 PM

24 hour time is certainly commonplace in Europe for anything involving timetables (admittedly, we aren't talking about Europe). Takes away the AM/PM confusion. Also helps with formatting in printing - always 4 digits. Doesn't mess up alignment and column widths etc. If the time is more that 12, take 12 off it and add a "PM" at the end.

As for finish times, about half an hour before the next act is always a good rule of thumb.

I created a spreadsheet every year historically, because I liked to see the times go across rather than down the page. But I am both a Bluesfest and an MS Excel tragic.

I mainly keep the bluesfest card as a souvenir. But I still spend far to long referring to it, out of habit and curiosity.
acb
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:05:13 PM

My gripe is the layout - I would prefer the acts listed in time order (first act first, rather than last) and the tents for each day laid out across the page so you can easily compare who's on at a given time around the site.

I think the Rhythms program sets it out a little more clearly. Of course a smartphone app would be useful.....

Andrew
gerardf
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:22:30 AM

ScottM wrote:
I created a spreadsheet every year historically, because I liked to see the times go across rather than down the page. But I am both a Bluesfest and an MS Excel tragic.

I've been doing the same thing for a number of years Scott. Makes planning so much easier.

Don't you know there ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk
hridayan
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:50:55 AM

24 hour time is not just used by the armed forces. I worked in the computer industry for 20 years and we always used 24 hr time. I prefer it as for me it's the norm.

When does the actual time-table come out?

If you're not having fun, you're missing the point
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:51:35 AM

acb wrote:
My gripe is the layout - I would prefer the acts listed in time order (first act first, rather than last) and the tents for each day laid out across the page so you can easily compare who's on at a given time around the site.

I think the Rhythms program sets it out a little more clearly. Of course a smartphone app would be useful.....

Andrew

smartphone app, yes please bluesfest!!!

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
Paladin
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:46:53 PM

An iphone app would be amazing. The JazzFest app is unbelievable. Maps, time table, who's playing now, gps map, bus timetables, artist profiles, last minute changes.
Mojo_Priest
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:50:11 PM

Paladin wrote:
An iphone app would be amazing. The JazzFest app is unbelievable. Maps, time table, who's playing now, gps map, bus timetables, artist profiles, last minute changes.

Amen. You never know with ole blues mob might be one in the pipes once all the anouncements are done.
eileenk9
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 3:45:29 PM

Paladin wrote:

They have an app for Big Day Out this year.

Bluesfest app for an android phone please.

glenboss
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 10:05:37 PM

What on earth do you want an app for ???. Then you would have to go and buy the latest fandangled phone to run it. I do my own program up, highlighted & colour coded of course because some acts you just can't afford to miss, but I've still got to do the original converstion from their silly army time program (and "army time" is just my term of endearment for that funny 24 hour time which should appease everyone who likes army time and there seems to be a few of you). And then there's the occassion where you can't find your own program , because one of your kids has taken the thing, not given it back, and then lost it and you've got to ask some stranger who only has the "army time" one. Just a helpful suggestion Bluesfest. One other thing with a well laid out program -the acts I really don't want to see I put in really fine print so I hardly see them, which reduces the chances of my overlooking the really important ones. There's an art to it.
drwildare
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 11:04:53 PM

glenboss wrote:
What on earth do you want an app for ???. Then you would have to go and buy the latest fandangled phone to run it. I do my own program up, highlighted & colour coded of course because some acts you just can't afford to miss, but I've still got to do the original converstion from their silly army time program (and "army time" is just my term of endearment for that funny 24 hour time which should appease everyone who likes army time and there seems to be a few of you). And then there's the occassion where you can't find your own program , because one of your kids has taken the thing, not given it back, and then lost it and you've got to ask some stranger who only has the "army time" one. Just a helpful suggestion Bluesfest. One other thing with a well laid out program -the acts I really don't want to see I put in really fine print so I hardly see them, which reduces the chances of my overlooking the really important ones. There's an art to it.

Army Time what is that. The twenty for hour clock is GMT or UCT and has been a standard for ever. I find no problems switching between 24 hour clock and 12 hour clock and I much prefer the 24 hour clock.

The Dr is in the House
glenboss
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:04:34 PM

Ok, I accept I'm the odd man out here. Forget I said anything.
Stony27
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:55:18 PM

Excel spreadsheet really works well. I do it every year.
ianandhelena
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 4:38:10 AM

"Army time". OMG.

Ha ha ha.

Quaint.
ScottM
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 9:51:32 AM

Geez Glen, you've taken a hammering over your choice of terminology ;-)
glenboss
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 10:01:31 PM

I've been calling it army time for the last 50 odd years and will no doubt keep calling it army time for the next 50 odd years, as quaint as that may sound. Over the years I've missed 2 domestic flights because of it and last year went within a minute of missing a flight out of Hong Kong because of it. I've just got this thing about army time. Fortunately I've got 3 grown kids who have been paying out on me for years over nearly everything so I've developed a high level of tolerance for all for all forms of ridicule. Doing the planning for Bluefest is half the fun I think and I must admit I enjoyed sorting out my special "normal time" program last year and will enjoy doing so again this year.
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:00:35 AM

glenboss, send me a copy when you're done... stupid army, with their stupid time... sheesh...

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
Rachel76
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:23:03 AM

You're not alone Glen - I call it army time too :) But that might be cos I'm an army brat lol
I do the spreadhset, highlight, priorities thing every year - then always manage to forget/lose it so an App would be a godsend!