Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

ear protection for babies and children Options
sns397
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:50:14 AM
Groups: Member

does anyone know where to buy those earmuff / headphone like ear protection you see all the young kids wearing? will they fit a 6 month old? our 13th fest and 1st with bub. advice?
flipside
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:26:35 PM

Any safety equipment shop will have them. Try searching yellow pages
stillrockin
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:49:16 PM

congrats on being aware - every year i see young kids holding their ears in pain - but their parents dont like it when i tell them young ears can be permanently damaged
beyondblues
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:10:48 PM

sns397 wrote:
does anyone know where to buy those earmuff / headphone like ear protection you see all the young kids wearing? will they fit a 6 month old? our 13th fest and 1st with bub. advice?

you can buy them cheaply on ebay-
i did a search for you:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Baby-Earmuffs
just google it! gotta love google!
bambambam
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:58:22 PM

Anyone know of any ear plugs that will let you hear the sound as well as protect your hearing,,,
It would be great if someone could sell them at the festival as well, maybe in the merchandise tent,,,

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
eileenk9
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:29:09 PM

I wish I'd had a set of earmuffs during Toni's Childs' set in 2009. :o Torrential rain forced us all to stay put.
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:14:17 PM

stillrockin wrote:
congrats on being aware - every year i see young kids holding their ears in pain - but their parents dont like it when i tell them young ears can be permanently damaged

I'll 2nd that
Mojo_Priest
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:05:23 AM

eileenk9 wrote:
I wish I'd had a set of earmuffs during Toni's Childs' set in 2009. :o Torrential rain forced us all to stay put.

I stood in the rain must have looked unhappy as to ladies decided to mould my face into a smile then say thats better your smilling now. I burst out laughing twas funny and took my mind away from poor toni.
Dan...
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:23:02 AM

eileenk9 wrote:

:-D

The poster formerly known as Dan
Maccain09
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:35:40 AM

Did anyone record that Toni ade up on the spot, it sounds like a golden moment in live music for the southern hemisphere. Even if someone can remember the lyrics or the jist of the "tune" ?

Always stay up the back of the tents with newborns and toddlers, I remember it got hairy one year with some senegalese act back in red devil. The started slow and the parents and kids were dancing then they the band went ballistic cranked up the amps etc,

The poor parents had to try to escape the crush with the kiddies.
spintheblackcircle
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:32:08 PM

bambambam wrote:
Anyone know of any ear plugs that will let you hear the sound as well as protect your hearing,,,
It would be great if someone could sell them at the festival as well, maybe in the merchandise tent,,,

I have been using these for years. http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html

I find they make the sound much clearer as well. You can get them from most good music stores. I know in Melbourne they are definitely at Polyester and Greville. Red Eye in Sydney has them as well and you can get them online. Best $35 i've ever spent.
speedie
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:04:13 PM

You can get them from the Byron Baby Shop and also Natures Child - both in the Byron Industrial Estate.
eileenk9
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:14:03 AM

Dan... wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:

Were you there too? I remember standing next to a man who looked about 70 yo. He has his hands over his ears and was grimacing the whole time.
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:22:45 AM

eileenk9 wrote:
Dan... wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:

Were you there too? I remember standing next to a man who looked about 70 yo. He has his hands over his ears and was grimacing the whole time.

yeah i just recently posted on this board something about it being my absolute worst bluesfest experience of all time.

The poster formerly known as Dan
eileenk9
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:27:29 AM

Dan... wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:
Dan... wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:

yeah i just recently posted on this board something about it being my absolute worst bluesfest experience of all time.

I just saw your posts. :)
freexone
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:24:16 PM

bambambam wrote:

Most if not all of the earplugs generally available do not actually cut out the sound completely,
They are designed to 'attenuate' (reduce) the noise/sound level, and most usually state the decibel reduction on the packaging.
I have two types of plug; one is the 'disposeable soft foam type' which are usually readily available at any pharmacy,
and the other ones are constructed of a soft plastic, come in a little box and you can keep them, wash 'em and use again.
I have seen both types at pharmacies and also you can usually get them at those industrial clothing business'
that sells work boots, overalls, stubbies etc.. and I find that quite often it is cheaper to purchase them there than the chemist.
§
Many people find that their enjoyment of the music actually increases, because 1/ they do not have to be concerned,
about their hearing, 2/ sometimes you can hear individual passages of what is being played better than one would have done unprotected.
Personally, (despite knowing better) I always do without, and there have been many occasions when I have gone home with some level of tinnitus.
I believe to a fair degree it's psychological.. I think? I say to myself; 'I have paid to hear loud music, and I'm damn sure that's what I'm gonna get'
and thus I defeat the common sense that tells me; 'if I keep on doing this I 'will' damage my hearing' - Go figure??? - I don't know..
Hope this helps..
colinsid
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:59:58 PM

I wouldn't be stuffing ear plugs in young babies or childrens ears, there is too much chance they will either get ear infections or just won't want something stuck in their ear.

You would be better off with the muffs & not going any closer to the stage than say the mixing desk.

Personally I would avoid taking babies or young children due to the risks to hearing* but I am not the kind to say don't.

Don't bother with any protection myself as the damage has been done & I like my music at 11.

*not to mention you will be exposing them to some of the people that write on this forum which is a health risk in itself
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:05:44 PM

anyone remember billy thorpes advice to the mother with child in arms at the 9th bluesfest?

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:13:21 PM

waffles wrote:
anyone remember billy thorpes advice to the mother with child in arms at the 9th bluesfest?

No, but in later years he did like to advise daughters to lock up their mothers when he was in town!

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:18:37 PM

waffles wrote:

Well ??????????? You can't just ask and then not say !!!!!