A Meeting Place for Posters Options
donaldhp
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 9:37:38 PM
Groups: Guest

I guess it's that time again when we can start thinking about:
1) Somewhere at Belongil to say hi to each other
2) Some way of recognising other posters
Be really great to put some faces to to the user names and to catch up with
old friends again (over a few bevvies !).
So...suggestions are welcome. (Be nice).
With respect
Don
olmuddy
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 2:44:54 PM
Groups: Member

Hey neat idea Don. I've been reading this forum for months now and you sure are
an interesting bunch. Lots of diverse views and outlooks on all things musical and
that sure is pretty healthy. (Well mostly).
So yes it would be real good to say hi and have a natter about all blues, rockabilly
and....anything really !
Good too to be on the board at last.
ATB,
Olmuddy
ps If there are any New Zealanders out there, does anyone know when Neil Finn's
new 7 Worlds Collide DVD/CD will be released.Should be amazing.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 3:23:16 PM

Welcome aboard olmuddy.

Don has probably been expat for too long to shed much light on the subject.

Johnnymac would be the likely expert to answer your question,as an attendee at this year's festivities.

I'm a bit unpatriotic,having not even as yet heard or seen the near eight year old 7 Worlds Collide.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
kaydubbleu
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 4:13:22 PM

yea would be a cool idea to be able to tell the forum users from the others whilst hopping from tent to tent and beer to beer.. something like white wristbands so you could see how many people had their hands up in a crowd that was in the forum, by the end monday mine would be grey/black for sure..so maybe yellow..
donaldhp
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 9:50:47 PM

Hi there Olmuddy and yes welcome aboard. After extensive googling I can't find any news
at all on the release, but as it was run in association with Oxfam there will certainly be a DVD/CD
coming from it and you're right, it will be amazing with all those guys from Wilco, Radiohead et al.
See you at belongil !
Don
ps Patrick do you know if JohnnyMac posted any news on the 7 Worlds Collide concerts ?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 10:05:07 PM

Hi Don,

Johnnymac's comments are on the Wilco Thread.

What a great band.

Dan was spot on.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
donaldhp
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 10:34:57 PM

Thanks very very much Patrick ( and Johnnymac). I absolutely would have loved to have been there at the Powerstation for
those shows and am deep green with envy, but am nevertheless grateful I was able to enjoy Wilco last year at Belongil . What a great band indeed !
johnnymac
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2009 10:13:14 AM

Nothing out yet Don.................. I wait with baited breath.
If the DVD captures the energy that was on the stage that night it will be fantastic.
I have done Jeff Beck and Clapton also this year. All different and excellent in their own right but for sheer joy of being there it had to be Neil Finn et al.
Maybe we could ask Tim on Friday 10th at Jambalaya when its due to comes out????!!!!!!!
Patrick, agree AM is the good start for Wilco, but for me Sky Blue Sky just keeps on blowing me away.
johnnymac
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2009 2:32:42 PM

PS. in regard to posters meeting up.......................One year we meet up at lunchtime the Rails prior to Thursday's opening and that was cool.
It was great to have a chat on the bus and at the concert after you had put a face to the name.
Last year Jafa seemed to be the introduction king bringing us together at concerts.
But hey, lets not be strangers....we'll sort something out!!!
samk26
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2009 3:04:45 PM

If anyone is thinking of getting the old 7 worlds collide, i suggest you get the DVD it has more songs + you get the added interviews etc...
jackfinn
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 6:55:29 PM

the railway sounds good, have had a lot of good ones at that joint, would be good if we could all have a beer and a chat before the doo....
donaldhp
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 8:41:09 PM

Yep, I reckon the Rails too. All we need now is a volunteer to be there at opening time to
save us a table !
Don
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:25:35 AM

johnnymac wrote:
PS. in regard to posters meeting up.......................One year we meet up at lunchtime the Rails prior to Thursday's opening and that was cool.
It was great to have a chat on the bus and at the concert after you had put a face to the name.
Last year Jafa seemed to be the introduction king bringing us together at concerts.
But hey, lets not be strangers....we'll sort something out!!!

I've been at the Rails from about noon on the Thursday for each of the 3 past years. I plan to be there again, for what it's worth. Good to see this thread has been revived again. An annual institution - we all start with grand plans of saying hello, then it all falls in on itself. But that isn't to say we shouldn't try.
wendywoo1
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:57:59 AM

Hi wonderful people. I have been enjoying checking out the Forum over the past few months hangin out to see ,( usually impatiently) who is in the next line up. I love reading what peeps have to say on a range of topics. This will be my first Blues Fest and I will be up for 7 days from Newie ( Home Of The Blues, Curlylocks) By the way curlylocks, I saw your headsup about Bob Log III playin at the Northern Star on Valentines Day. Thanks for that . We had a fantastic nite. I was scanning the crowd and thinking you have either no hair, or really curly hair, or even possibilly straight hair! I would have been this freak walking around saying "excuse me", Are you curlylocks. I think Everyone should wear white rubber wristbands with FORUM written in thick black marker on them. We'll recognise each other by the grubby wrists. Cheers.
johnnymac
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:13:13 PM

The rails it is!!!!!
The first year we did this I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Greybeard, RR, Don, Katie and a guy called Johnnie from north of Brisbane that seems to have the same schedule as me, even for bus trips!!!
Johnnie seemed to fall of the map last year......are you still out there mate????
curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:11:29 AM

wendywoo1 wrote:
Hi wonderful people. I have been enjoying checking out the Forum over the past few months hangin out to see ,( usually impatiently) who is in the next line up. I love reading what peeps have to say on a range of topics. This will be my first Blues Fest and I will be up for 7 days from Newie ( Home Of The Blues, Curlylocks) By the way curlylocks, I saw your headsup about Bob Log III playin at the Northern Star on Valentines Day. Thanks for that . We had a fantastic nite. I was scanning the crowd and thinking you have either no hair, or really curly hair, or even possibilly straight hair! I would have been this freak walking around saying "excuse me", Are you curlylocks. I think Everyone should wear white rubber wristbands with FORUM written in thick black marker on them. We'll recognise each other by the grubby wrists. Cheers.

Thanks Wendy

I was the one in the black jumpsuit...you couldn't have missed me onstage just before "boobscotch"...

BTW I met up with Gerard that night - the first time I have met a fellow poster. As mentioned elsehwere in this thread, every year there is talk of meeting up but it doesn't seem to happen...perhaps it is better that way??Anyways, we are driving up from Newy Thursday so not sure if I will make midday at the Rails but will try to make it.

PS I have straight hair. The curlyloc moniker is because I am originally from Curl Curl in Sydney and LOC are my initials...There you go posters, been wondering for years, haven't you?

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
gerardf
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:26:43 AM

curlyloc wrote:

Thanks Wendy

I was the one in the black jumpsuit...you couldn't have missed me onstage just before "boobscotch"...

You were up on stage? I didn't see that Curly there were so many people there that, even standing on a chair, I had trouble seeing the stage!

Even leaving at 5:30am on the Thursday I think that I'll have trouble getting to the rails, but then again it is near the bus stop so there might be time for a drink before catching the bus.

Don't you know there ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk
phelan1973
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:11:26 AM

efuceekay! Bob Log played at the Northern Star!

I need to keep my ear to the ground more.

Can any of you Newie people recommend a good way of finding out about folk/blues/country related gigs?
curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:53:49 AM

phelan1973 wrote:

Can any of you Newie people recommend a good way of finding out about folk/blues/country related gigs?

I read the Star religously which has good coverage BUT I did miss the Bob Log publicity and only picked it up in the forum here through the lovely Gerardf...

Ash Grunwald is playing the Beaumont St Festival this Sunday arvo, plus 4 other acts.

I wouldn't miss Hot Club of Cowtown at the Gallipoli Sunday week if I were you....

And if all else fails, there is a good chance there'll be some rockn blues/folk/country at the Wicko by some band you've never heard of. Or some band you have...in 2008 I was blown away by Marshall and the Fro, Paul Greene, The Blues Bombers etc etc at the Wicko. And there is never a cover charge!

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
gerardf
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:59:38 PM

curlyloc wrote:
phelan1973 wrote:

I read the Star religously which has good coverage BUT I did miss the Bob Log publicity and only picked it up in the forum here through the lovely Gerardf...

Ash Grunwald is playing the Beaumont St Festival this Sunday arvo, plus 4 other acts.

I wouldn't miss Hot Club of Cowtown at the Gallipoli Sunday week if I were you....

And if all else fails, there is a good chance there'll be some rockn blues/folk/country at the Wicko by some band you've never heard of. Or some band you have...in 2008 I was blown away by Marshall and the Fro, Paul Greene, The Blues Bombers etc etc at the Wicko. And there is never a cover charge!

The best way is to be on every email mailing list available (Youngbill has one) I also have a few websites I check weekly and friends who keep me informed. Just out of interest, you could go to The Junkyard in Maitland tomorrow night to see The True Story Of The End or on Sunday to see Marshall & the Fro with Kim Churchill. C W Stoneking is playing there next Wednesday and at The Cambridge next Thursday.

Don't you know there ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk