Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Twilight of the Blues Options
RaucousReg
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 8:00:57 AM

Groups: Member

repete
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 11:22:51 AM

I know a lot of people, me included, have been deeply concerned at the demise of the blues. Even Buddy, who was always ageless, is looking old. However, if you need reassurance that it ain't dead yet, check out Gary Clark Jr. He is at the absolute top of my "must see" list for jazzfest.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 5:43:43 PM

unfortunately,with each bluesfest we seem to see less BLUES artists. while i love the diversity of the music we see each festival,we seem to be getting further from the blues.
i realise the commercial reality of running a festival this size means presenting acts that people want to see and blues limit your audience and having different genres draws more paying customers to our blues and roots festival.to me some bands dont fit either-blues or roots.
this is one reason i love to see support for the MUSIC MAKER FOUNDATION which has brought us many struggling blues artists over the years.when i look back over the bluesfests past(the posters on my wall) i would love to see some of these artists again.please BLUESFEST keep the blues alive.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
littlewillie
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 5:55:44 PM

waffles wrote:
unfortunately,with each bluesfest we seem to see less BLUES artists. while i love the diversity of the music we see each festival,we seem to be getting further from the blues.

this is one reason i love to see support for the MUSIC MAKER FOUNDATION which has brought us many struggling blues artists over the years.when i look back over the bluesfests past(the posters on my wall) i would love to see some of these artists again.please BLUESFEST keep the blues alive.

Too true

While sadly the originals seem to quickly passing, there is still a younger crew keeping it alive the likes of Jonny Lang ,Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Guy Davis , Keb Mo, Ash Grunwald ,Hat Fitz and so many more , hopefully bluesfest will keep up the support for the more blues oriented artists.
And yes Pete hope to see Gary Clark Jr at bluesfest soon.
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 9:07:23 PM

Suppose the Blues started as a minority, had a boom or two along the way, and is back in the background. Now if we could only get a few preachers to burn a dozen C.Ds
Sad if the following lyrics prove to be prophecy

The ice cream man he's a hillbilly fan,
He's got seventy-eights by Hank Snow;
Walks down the street, shufflin' his feet,
To the rhythm that only he knows.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Mojo_Priest
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 6:59:56 AM

waffles wrote:
i realise the commercial reality of running a festival this size means presenting acts that people want to see and blues limit your audience and having different genres draws more paying customers to our blues and roots festival.to me some bands dont fit either-blues or roots.

I doubt i would go to blues fest if there wasnt much diversity the greatest bands ive seen at blues where not blues bands. Buddy knox was awesome, but its very limiting the blues. And blues fans are hard to please considering the simplicity of the blues. Or maybe its just the age of the fans :) (wink wink)
YosemiteBaz
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 10:55:45 AM

Everyone makes valid points. Obviously there had to come a time when the older blues artists would either no longer be with us or no longer playing. Of course that's a shame, and yes there's not many left. But as littlewillie points out its not dead yet - far from it. If we didn't have as many up and comers as we do I'd say the lights are dimming, but if anything they're at least maintaining their brightness.

I go to Bluesfest because even though its not all blues (& roots) in my opinion there's more than enough to keep me satisfied. If there's one blues act playing at any given time (which generally there is), I'm happy - afterall I can only see one at a time. Its a necessary evil as waffles points out for Bluesfest, but I have to say the thing I like about there being so much diversity is that it keeps the crowds elsewhere and out of Crossroads and Juke Joint.

PS - Let's hope Ray Beadle is on the next artist announcement!!!
glenboss
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:49:06 PM

One of you very experienced Bluefest attendees might like to explain something to me. Do they put the different musics in the the different tents? The great majority of shows that I have really loved have been in Crossroads which is where I've seemed to spend most of my time. I just thought that a coincidence. Maybe I'll take more note when they bring out the next program.
ScottM
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 10:19:18 AM

glenboss wrote:
One of you very experienced Bluefest attendees might like to explain something to me. Do they put the different musics in the the different tents? The great majority of shows that I have really loved have been in Crossroads which is where I've seemed to spend most of my time. I just thought that a coincidence. Maybe I'll take more note when they bring out the next program.

I'd say the tents are typically more demographically arranged than genre. Of my last 3 or 4 Bluesfests in particular, I've been almost exclusively in Jambalaya and Crossroads. I've ventured to Mojjjo decreasingly, though still notably for acts like Old Crow Medicine Show, Zappa Plays Zappa, Galactic and John Fogerty (I'd be there in 2012 for Trombone Shorty at the very least). I think it makes sense to not have masses of people crossing past each other constantly in the festival site. Also makes it easier to venture should the desire take you.
ScottM
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 10:31:36 AM

And as for "twilight of the blues", I think that the continuation of the "purer" forms of the blues is definitely under threat. Number 1, if we're to be honest, there is a lot of similarity in most traditional blues styles' songwriting (as evidenced by the typically high covers content). That would have been fine in the days of limited radio and minimal interstate/international touring, but now, over-exposure can make an act passe too quickly.

Also, it is a daunting genre for a young musician to aspire to. As much as "rock and roll is dead" is a common catchphrase, if you're a kid learning guitar, you know that there will always be an audience of some size somewhere for a dumb rock and roll show (and "dumb" is a term of endearment in this case). Blues shows - hell, Buddy Guy on a double bill with Keb Mo couldn't even sell out the 3,000 seat Enmore theatre in Sydney a few years back. And they are the cream. So, short of being a prodigy from a technical standpoint, it can be hard to get enough people to care to make it worth your while as a professional.

Not to mention, a lot of the most memorable blues moments were born out a particular set of circumstances (in the USA) that don't really exist any more, and/or have found their outlet in hip-hop and a return to old time Americana.

All of this is a shame, but I guess as a form, blues will (and has) found ways to live on through fairly direct influence. And the old records of the old masters will always be discovered by kids and taken to some new place. I'd like to be wrong, but I think the emergence of fewer and fewer "pure blues" stars is indicative of this decline.
harveykeitel
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 8:53:12 AM

repete wrote:
I know a lot of people, me included, have been deeply concerned at the demise of the blues. Even Buddy, who was always ageless, is looking old. However, if you need reassurance that it ain't dead yet, check out Gary Clark Jr. He is at the absolute top of my "must see" list for jazzfest.

Cheers Repete, on your recommendation I bought Gary Clark Jr's EP and impressed so far.........looking forward to going back to it tonight to see if its still as good!