http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/

EXCESS in Moderation
repete
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:15:33 PM
Groups: Member

Sharleen7 wrote:
Lots to love on this one!

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/

You beat me to it! It looks great...really looking forward to seeing Tom Petty, Levon Helm with Mavis Staples, Florence and the Machine, Bobby Rush, Al Green, James Cotton, Steel Pulse and Grace Potter and the Nocturnals as well as all the great Louisiana musicians. I also wonder if they'll have better luck with Bunny Wailer than bluesfest a few years ago?? Plus the special focus on the mardi gras indians should be amazing!

Woohooo...we're going back next year!! See y'all at the Rock 'n Bowl!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Sharleen7
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:31:51 PM

Yes! We'll look forward to seeing you and Christie there. We're going for FQF as well as Jazzfest next year, too!

EXCESS in Moderation
regards
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:06:50 PM

There is great variety as usual this year and a couple of big names still to be added

Lots for everyone, even if the Eagles dont grab me.

Not sure if I will make it depends on what happens with work, but have the condo booked.

And even though I get a realy good deal. I am tempted to miss Jazzfest as I did this year and compensate later in the year with Blues and BBQ, MagFest and Voodoo .

The town is so much more mellow for the Blues and BBQ and Voodoo 10 days later, you see great shows at night mid week for $5 and Hotel deals were happening, plus camping at Magfest was fun.

But the lure of JazzFest may be too strong, FQF would mean missing Byron so I cant do that
repete
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 5:47:37 PM

Wow...when you drill down into the middle parts of the bill there's some real magic:

Cheikh Lo from Senegal
Bunny Wailer and Steel Pulse
The Texas Tornados featuring Flaco Jiminez
Seun Kuti and Egypt 80
Carolina Chocolate Drops
Little Anthony and the Imperials !!!!
Poncho Sanchez and his Latin Band w/- Terrance Blanchard
The Midnite Disturbers
Gary Clark Jr (a definite and will definitely report back...watch out)

...and I haven't mentioned the local artists.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 10:59:28 AM

New addition over night Brian Wilson with the surviving members of the Beach Boys, could be good, could be bad, we shal see.
c0kebloke
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 8:11:26 PM

A great lineup.
Big sams funky nation would be worth a look IMH.
Not that i'm going - I shall be more than happy with bf this year,love whats on offer so far & more to come!

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
repete
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:18:19 PM

omg....!!!
Hey regards...this is unmissable!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:43:02 PM

repete wrote:
omg....!!!

Hi Mate

I will make my call in the next couple of days, but I would say that I am in.

If I have work to do I will not go, but work is a disaster, this time last year was great.

No good flight deals yet, qantas keep bombarding me with good deals to everywhere in the world except LAX and DFW, but I cant see that coming good, in the next few weeks.

I have seen Springstteen a few times with the e street band, but it will be interesting to see what he does this time around with out the big man, or with his replacement.

Sounds like his new album is going to stick it to some of the right wing idiots.

We can only hope.

waffles
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:46:27 PM

try KAYAK .COM for flight deals.
noticed one tonight brisbane to l.a. was $2100 but the same flight auckland-brisbane-l.a. was $1450 thats with virgin.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
regards
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:08:09 PM

waffles wrote:
try KAYAK .COM for flight deals.
noticed one tonight brisbane to l.a. was $2100 but the same flight auckland-brisbane-l.a. was $1450 thats with virgin.

I have tried just about every site.

Will probably just take the $1,600 qantas return melb to lax and see how much moneys worth of grog I can guzzle in the qantas Club prior to both flights, particulaly the return which will be 11. 30 at night, and normaly have a few hours up my sleeve for that one.

I have a stack of flyer points and always try to upgrade on the way back from the states and the lying prics continualy say that none are available.
repete
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:00:13 PM

regards wrote:
repete wrote:
omg....!!!

Hi Mate

I will make my call in the next couple of days, but I would say that I am in.

If I have work to do I will not go, but work is a disaster, this time last year was great.

No good flight deals yet, qantas keep bombarding me with good deals to everywhere in the world except LAX and DFW, but I cant see that coming good, in the next few weeks.

I have seen Springstteen a few times with the e street band, but it will be interesting to see what he does this time around with out the big man, or with his replacement.

Sounds like his new album is going to stick it to some of the right wing idiots.

We can only hope.

This will be my first time seeing Springsteen, although his appearance (and Tom Petty's) really throws out quite a few acts I would otherwise really want to see. I have spoken to a few people who saw his performance at the 2006 fest all of whom say it was the most amazing show they have ever witnessed....circumstances I suppose. It's pretty amazing for a festival which has boasted giants the likes of Mahalia Jackson, John Lee Hooker, Duke Ellington, Fats Domino, Professor Longhair, Lightnin' Hopkins, Dave Brubeck, Wynton Marsalis, Muddy Waters and many others, that Springsteen is ranked the as the most remarkable performance (I have even spoken to someone who saw Fess back in '71 !!). But it really messes up the bill....lol

About flights, have a look at Delta from Melbourne to New Orleans - we paid $1880 rtn a month ago......Although mind you, Delta is worse than United which is down there with Aeroflot as a crappy airline !!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
eileenk9
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:20:58 PM

Eddie Vedder. His solo shows here last March were so good... one of the best voices you'll ever hear. Come down and do Bluesfest one year Eddie!
Dan...
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 11:44:14 AM

repete wrote:
Delta from Melbourne to New Orleans

that sounds like a rough flight!!!! though i'd rather delta than american funnily enough.

The poster formerly known as Dan
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 12:36:31 PM
Groups: Administration

Qantas flies to Dallas - you can drive to New Orleans easily from there - and stop off in bayou country on the way
Bboard Admin
davidmoses
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 2:14:52 PM

As per every year, would love to be going to this. Have a cochon de lait for me!
regards
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 8:32:39 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
Qantas flies to Dallas - you can drive to New Orleans easily from there - and stop off in bayou country on the way
Bboard Admin

I have flown in and out of DFW before.

But if you are going from Melbourne you have to go via Sydney and come home via Brisbane. and that is a pain in the arse.

last year I got a great introductory deal, they have now gone thanks to the Dollar going up and more people heading to the states.

Driving over from DFW to Nola would be interesting, and fun. I spent one night in Fort worth last year in transit to new York for Crawfish fest, and that was, fun but enough for me. But i can say that I have spent a night in the same hotel that JFK spent his last. As you would imagine there was a memorial type thing in the foyer.

If you get a decent price, especialy if you live in Brisbane flying to DFW and driving over to Nola would be great. Hire cars deals in the states can be found.

Sure beats jumping on another plane after many hours.
repete
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 11:29:54 AM

regards wrote:
bluesfestadmin wrote:
Bboard Admin

I have flown in and out of DFW before.

But if you are going from Melbourne you have to go via Sydney and come home via Brisbane. and that is a pain in the arse.

last year I got a great introductory deal, they have now gone thanks to the Dollar going up and more people heading to the states.

Driving over from DFW to Nola would be interesting, and fun. I spent one night in Fort worth last year in transit to new York for Crawfish fest, and that was, fun but enough for me. But i can say that I have spent a night in the same hotel that JFK spent his last. As you would imagine there was a memorial type thing in the foyer.

If you get a decent price, especialy if you live in Brisbane flying to DFW and driving over to Nola would be great. Hire cars deals in the states can be found.

Sure beats jumping on another plane after many hours.

I reckon south west Louisiana is one of the world's best kept travel secrets, even more so if you love music. Imagine for a moment two of the world's iconic music cities...New Orleans and Austin...within a (long) day's drive of each other. And in between the bayous, swamps and the cajun prairie. I was lucky enough to spend a week in Breaux Bridge (Pont Breaux) and on the lake at Henderson (the Atchafaliya Basin) a few years ago. The town names are magical...how many songs start somewhere on the road from Lafayette to Baton Rouge....(and usually after midnight involving some voodoo mischief)??, the music is unbelievable (seriously, ridiculously unbelievable and so accessible) and the people are really friendly...stay longer than a week and there's a serious risk you'll never leave.

(hehehe...and don't forget that a day's drive north of New Orleans lies Memphis, at the end of Highway 61 along the Mississippi....)

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Sharleen7
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:16:43 PM

We got a great deal on our airfares through the Delta website $1505 + tax brings it to 1671.28AU for flights from Brisbane into Little Rock, Arkansas going over and returning from San Fran to Brisbane... we did a multi-city booking for BNE - LA - Little Rock and San Fran - BNE. We've got our little camper van waiting for us in Arkansas and will be driving it back out to San Fran after we spend a couple of months touring around the states. Looking forward to hitting lots of festivals!

EXCESS in Moderation
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:46:00 PM

after seeing the new orleans jazzfest lineup for this year,i decided to try to make it next year.
so i need any tips on where to stay in new orleans and where else to see in that area.
will probably fly into dallas and drive from there .hope to do the memphis-blues trail etc
and would be willing to share costs-car hire etc. if anyone else is planning the trip.
would be even better to meet anyone who has been,and is going to bluesfest at easter. ill buy the drinks-you give me the tips.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.