Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

what do you recommend ? .... 2012 artists Options
sushiwee
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:43:04 AM
Groups: Member

Always good to hear what albums are worth exploring from the artists you are unfamiliar with. CD`s have never been as cheap as they are these days but lots of BF artists have dozens of albums out, so whats the pick of the bunch?
I will start with what i know....

Donovan
Sutras (1996) - 19th studio album and the pick of his newer stuff
Sunshine Superman (1966) - Classic album, great tracks like Bert`s blues, season of the witch, the trip and ferris wheel
Cosmic Wheel (1973) - Donavon rocks out with a sound like T-rex n Alice Cooper but still keeps his folky edge

Great big sea - safe upon the shore (2010)
New one for me and its growing on me, got that modern Americana sound like Springsteen n Gaslight anthems that grates a bit but enough other influences to
be interesting

The Specials - the specials (1979)
Stop your messing around...what can i say...buy this album

The Jayhawks
Tomorrow the green grass (1995)- Not played this for years, i bought the CD on the back of the `Bad Times` single (never knew it was a cover at the time). The album is ace not a bad track.
Mockingbird (2011) is on my christmas list

The Pogues - If I Should Fall from Grace with God (1988)
the pogues best album, buy this and one of the many best of compilations and your set to go

Yes
close to the edge (1972) - awesome..up there with dark side of the moon. This was the only Yes album in my dads collection and along with his floyd the first side of this got some spins
Fly from here (2011) - Another one i picked up recently and its pure gold, looking forward to seeing them play after hearing this

Seth lakeman - Kitty Jay (2004)
a violin has never sounded so cool

Seasick Steve - doghouse music (2006)
the album that made him a world name....still his best

Alabama 3 -MOR (2007)
a collection of storming genre-bending tracks, if you don't sing and dance along with this CD please consult your doctor, you may already be dead!!

CSNY - deja vu (1970)
timeless classic

look forward to hearing your recommendations of the many Bf artists that are new to me
if you buy Cd`s online amazon uk are still posting free to australia, CSNY albums for 5 bucks anyone?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=csny
drwildare
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:31:54 PM

sushiwee wrote:
Always good to hear what albums are worth exploring from the artists you are unfamiliar with. CD`s have never been as cheap as they are these days but lots of BF artists have dozens of albums out, so whats the pick of the bunch?

Donovan
Sunshine Superman (1966) - Classic album, great tracks like Bert`s blues, season of the witch, the trip and ferris wheel
Cosmic Wheel (1973) - Donavon rocks out with a sound like T-rex n Alice Cooper but still keeps his folky edge

For Donovan in my mind his standout album is A Gift from a Flower to a Garden, this is a double album and his 5th release and one of the first box sets for any artist. It was released in the US in December 1967 by EPIC April 68 in UK Pye. It was also released as two single albums in the US as Wear your love like heaven and For Little Ones.

The Dr is in the House
Marie5
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:32:48 PM

sushiwee

you have just solved all my christmas gift problems
most of my family come up to the bluesfest, so am thinking gift vouchers with your post attached.

thanks again

paddle faster I hear banjo music ...............
RaucousReg
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:17:26 PM

drwildare wrote:
sushiwee wrote:

Donovan

For Donovan in my mind his standout album is A Gift from a Flower to a Garden, this is a double album and his 5th release and one of the first box sets for any artist. It was released in the US in December 1967 by EPIC April 68 in UK Pye. It was also released as two single albums in the US as Wear your love like heaven and For Little Ones.

The Dr is in the House

There's a live album with a virtually white cover called Donovan Live - the one that begins with his father doing an intro

namaste
RR
bender
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:02:36 PM

I would highly recomend "Backatown" and "For True" by Trombone Shorty.