Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The Beauty of Bluesfest Options
donaldhp
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 11:11:26 PM
Groups: Guest

After reading some of the posts bemoaning the lack of "big name" acts, jam bands or excitement this year, I can't help feeling
that for some, the whole point of bluesfest has been missed. If any of the 'fest veterans or or "dinosaurs" were asked why they
converge on Byron at Easter year after year I bet that most would not name a particular act or band as their reason but rather
the "occasion". The celebration, the tradition and the wonderful atmosphere generated by 18,000 (or so) people sharing their joy and
passion for music every day.(And night). The thrill of discovering and hearing music treat after music treat. Whether it be Jake Shimabukuro's ukelele for the
first time, or Bela Fleck's banjo or Robben Ford's guitar or Ruthie Foster's voice or Gov't Mule's awesome power or whatever. There is
always something for everyone to be thrilled and amazed by. Always ! And most of the time we don't even know it's going to happen...
until it does ! To be part of the fantastic audience vibe that inspire the performers to new levels of playing or singing is a spine-tingling
experience and one to be treasured for many years after. It's a buzz man !
So leave all your expectations at the gate and be ready for some musical miracles !
Enjoy the beauty of bluesfest !
With respect,
Don
HowlinBindog
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 11:24:01 PM
Groups: Guest

Right on!
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 11:43:39 PM
Groups: Member

Absolutely correct Don.

I'm looking foward for a start to seeing Acts that I missed in 2008,such as Ruthie Foster and Seasick Steve.

And if I had nothing else on,I would quite happily watch Xavier Rudd or John Butler.

But I know there will be so much new to explore and not enough time to see everything I want to see.

But you cannot get that into some peoples' heads,because they are like a horse with blinkers on.

Bluesfest is all about the vibe,and I give thanks to those who put a whole year into putting the treats on for us to enjoy.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Frosty
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 8:22:09 AM

I fully agree Don, my mates and I have been going to the BF for a few years now, all of us in our early 30's, and we all agree that its more about the fun of catching up with old mates, camping in the rain lol, meeting new people on the same level and of course the wicked music. Yes this year hasn't got as many headliners as last year, but seeing new bands that rock your world like last years rodrigo ya gabrialla, i think thats how you spell it? as well as the whole vibe that the place just oozes is all i need to make it another classic holiday with my mates. So pack your camping gear, gumboots, stubby holder and sniffer dog repellant and get out there and enjoy one of the biggest blues festivals in the world.

Rock on you crazy people!! :)
zyfert
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2009 9:31:27 AM

Quote:
So leave all your expectations at the gate and be ready for some musical miracles !

Absolutely right!
It's what I do every year and have never been disapointed.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 4:57:35 PM

Guest wrote:
After reading some of the posts bemoaning the lack of "big name" acts, jam bands or excitement this year, I can't help feeling
that for some, the whole point of bluesfest has been missed. If any of the 'fest veterans or or "dinosaurs" were asked why they
converge on Byron at Easter year after year I bet that most would not name a particular act or band as their reason but rather
the "occasion". The celebration, the tradition and the wonderful atmosphere generated by 18,000 (or so) people sharing their joy and
passion for music every day.(And night). The thrill of discovering and hearing music treat after music treat. Whether it be Jake Shimabukuro's ukelele for the
first time, or Bela Fleck's banjo or Robben Ford's guitar or Ruthie Foster's voice or Gov't Mule's awesome power or whatever. There is
always something for everyone to be thrilled and amazed by. Always ! And most of the time we don't even know it's going to happen...
until it does ! To be part of the fantastic audience vibe that inspire the performers to new levels of playing or singing is a spine-tingling
experience and one to be treasured for many years after. It's a buzz man !
Enjoy the beauty of bluesfest !
With respect,
Don

A great post Don.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
redkodak1
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 8:53:47 PM

Thanks Patrick. Here I am back in my new guise.
Be great to finally shake your hand next year !
Cheers mate,
Don
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:23:13 PM

I agree completely with the original post.

And in the new year will be leading / backing a charge on here to have some meeting of forum people across the five days.

Can't wait!

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:17:54 PM

redkodak1 wrote:
Cheers mate,
Don

Hi Don wondered where you had got to.
Are you still working out West ?
Yes it would be excellent to catch up.
Problem at Bluesfest I find is that after Thursday it gets a bit hard to locate people.
This year Waffles located me plus I always catch up with Johnny Mac & crew who are easy to spot early on at the fest.

c0kebloke
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:44:15 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
redkodak1 wrote:
Cheers mate,
Don

Problem at Bluesfest I find is that after Thursday it gets a bit hard to locate people.
This year Waffles located me plus I always catch up with Johnny Mac & crew who are easy to spot early on at the fest.

Kept an eye out for you this year lone but no luck, the first time since our meeting @ bf long ago that we had no get together.Easter didn't seem complete, better luck next year.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
redkodak1
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:59:16 PM

It was great to catch up with Sarah at this years fest but rather than battle the crowds we met in town for lunch/coffee.
Worked well too and we had a good old natter.
More of the same next year ?
Cheers,
Don
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 8:30:29 PM

c0kebloke wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:
redkodak1 wrote:
Cheers mate,
Don

Kept an eye out for you this year lone but no luck, the first time since our meeting @ bf long ago that we had no get together.Easter didn't seem complete, better luck next year.

That's right brother.That was before you were on the board.
How many days are you planning to come next year.
Don't get into any pub scraps in the meantime.

c0kebloke
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:07:06 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
c0kebloke wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:
redkodak1 wrote:
Cheers mate,
Don

That's right brother.That was before you were on the board.
How many days are you planning to come next year.
Don't get into any pub scraps in the meantime.

Doing my usual wed to wed in byron then off to the goldcoast for a week.
I hope to arrive a little earlier than the last couple of years with an earlier flight time but it will depend on flight changes & when & if my transfer turns up.
Hope to get to byron around 7 -8pm next Easter as I like to catch some tunes @ the rails & with luck meet up with Jhonnymac & his mob, that lot are a bad influence Think but always worth the meet'n greet.
I plan to stay out of trouble while drinking at the pubs in byron next Easter on condition you stay away from the rent boys while @ bf2014.Shame on you
Seems Easter brings out our dubious side d'oh!

Yeah, yeah, yeah

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 6:15:45 PM

Sounds a nice long holiday.
Are you hitting the Rails on Wed night.
Sounds a good idea if you are staying in Byron.
We didn't get into Byron at all last Easter.
Got to Nimbin though.
Important to get filmed by the main street cameras.
And there are always some interesting hitchhikers between Murwillumbah & Nimbin.
Temptations everywhere.
Money doesn't talk it swears.
Keep truckin.

c0kebloke
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:46:15 AM

I plan my Easter start with a trip to the rails each year as it's a good start with some live music before bf begins & gives me a chance for a few drinks before bf, drinks are a bit cheaper plus I don't have to contend with getting on & off the bus.
Both this year & last I got to byron later than I planned due to my transfer being 2 hours late this year & not picking me up at all last year.
Been going to the goldcoast about 7 - 8 years now as the place I stay is central & next to the bus station plus @ less than $100 per night for a full size unit it's cheap.
Hire myself a scooter & can get around with ease.
I don't go much on the glitz bs but sometime hire a boat put on the headphones & do a bit of fishing.
The bar is open from 9.30 am till anywhere between 3-5 am so no need to go into town for a couple of drinks & it's doof doof free when it come to the noise.
One of the locals I hang out with plans a trip back to his home in the US & was telling me he has plans to do jazz fest next year,would of been good if jazz fest was a couple of weeks sooner as then we could of made some comparisons.
Only been to nimbin once back in the late 90s & was expecting a quiet little hippy community rather than the tourist Mecca I found.

Yeah, yeah, yeah